JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone else here noticed how much more civil the vast majority of people tend to be on the local forums such as this one. I am sure many on here also participate in larger national gun forums on the internet as I do and there seems to be such a difference.

I think the main reason is that the type of person that causes troubles on national boards does not have quite the same confidence on a local forum where there is a much larger chance you might run into the other members you are rude to in a gun shop parking lot or at the grocery store. Attitude is often in direct proportion to the chance of actual fist to nose encounters. It is also quite a bit harder to claim to be an ex-green beret professional shooter/SWAT officer when other people on the forum see the 120lb, 5'6, 20 year old you bagging groceries at the Fred Meyer on a regular basis. :D

Last Edited:
There are a few 'national' forums that have this problem to be sure. However, most that I have seen are quite civil and friendly. Much like the 'local' forums you speak of.

'Local" forums can also have this problem though, I have even seen it here (more than once), and experienced it personally as well from certain 'members'.

I dont think it matters if the forum is 'national', or 'local'. What matters is the type, or types of people that may, or may not come onto them.

There are rude people everywhere. National, local. Wherever you may go. There they are.

Maybe I am just blind, but I just do not see the same ratio of internet commandos on the local sites that i see on the national forums. A whole lot smaller percentage of the local guys seem to be LEO's or Special forces guys too. :)

Agreed. I would also add that with local forum members I've found that the people I've meet are much different in person than there online personality.

I still haven't met enough people in person to make that same observation... honestly if anything I've seen the opposite... albeit with an admittedly small sample size.

From what I see the people on the local forums are alot more rude. Of course, this IS oregon and everywhere else Ive gone in the US has been alot nicer than oregonions.

There are rude people everywhere. National, local. Wherever you may go. There they are.

Yup, your right.

I can name a local Seattle forum that can be nasty. To be honest I have responded to a few posts in quite a nasty manner because it's allowed, the rules are uninforced, the moderators don't follow the rules themselves, and they deserved it.

I get sick and tired of those that hide behind thier computer screens and pretend to be tough guys and know-it-alls.

This place has turned out quite nice.

Other great forums are the Smith & Wesson forum, Stopping Power, and Hipowers and Handguns.

Haven't met me yet!

Although David has.

Hmmmmn? Maybe time for a cigar hour at Broadway Cigar? Then you can see what I'm "really like" compared to my "online like".

Will
Yeah, I have to agree that most of the guys are different in person. On the forums they seem like decent guys with manners that you would assume have good personal hygiene. In person though...:D :winkkiss: :p

Last Edited:
That sounds good! I'm overdue for a fine cigar! We need an low key NWFA herf!

That sounds awesome! I'd come except I have volunteer SWAT team training that day. Also, I'm arguing a gun rights case before the state supreme court and accepting an award from the American Legion because of my service to this country.

I have found the "local" forms to be more civil also. There are fewer people here suggesting that people are foolish or a criminal for simply discussing certain types of legal firearms. I have only seen two of those ilk here so far. While I have been told in person a few times that some of my firearms are illegal, the person doing so always backs down when I explain why they are wrong. The same can not be said about those online.

Forums tend to bring out the worst in some people including myself. I have been banned from The Firearms Forum twice for zealously supporting the RKBA.

Ranb

I wonder if it's more to do with the mods, keeping this board civil? I haven't felt any need to visit other FA forums, it's like drinking from a firehose here.

MrB
(And what's with those Vespa scooters?)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews