JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Black powder or modern "smokeless" powder?

I had thought black powder was already heavily regulated? -Similar to what the video mentioned was signed by the Attorney General last month??

If by heavily regulated you mean- walk into a store, buy the black powder, take said powder home and do with it as you please, than yes it is heavily regulated.

Telling the local Fire Department that you have powder in your home will only freak out the dumb ones. Of more concern should be how many half full propane tanks you have on your back porch or the dinosaur laden carpet and furniture you have in your home. Even ammo cooking off in a house fire is not a huge concern to any firefighter that has done the training.

Aerosol cans under the kitchen sink always scared the bubblegum out of me, popping off like little mini hidden bombs!

You shouldn't have to tell anybody in government what you own because they already know by watching your credit card purchases.
And they also track retail sales from the retailers' end via electronic recordkeeping (IRS for example), wouldn't surprise me if they also keep track of shipments from online retailers via the USPS and other parcel services especially for "ORM-D" packages.

If by heavily regulated you mean- walk into a store, buy the black powder, take said powder home and do with it as you please, than yes it is heavily regulated.

Telling the local Fire Department that you have powder in your home will only freak out the dumb ones. Of more concern should be how many half full propane tanks you have on your back porch or the dinosaur laden carpet and furniture you have in your home. Even ammo cooking off in a house fire is not a huge concern to any firefighter that has done the training.

Aerosol cans under the kitchen sink always scared the bubblegum out of me, popping off like little mini hidden bombs!
By heavily regulated I meant what is currently allowed by fire marshals to be owned in an individuals home & how it needs to be stored.

Prior to whatever was signed last month. In regards to black powder.

Again tho, I dunno.

Furthermore & again, does this affect individual ownership & storage of smokeless?

I'm thinking this applies to black powder which is explosive. Smokeless powder is a propellant, NOT an explosive. Perhaps Guns & Gadgets has this all wrong.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it... :cool:

Mythbusters did an episode about propane tanks exploding in a fire. It's not very likely to happen and odds of being killed by a propane tank explosion is like 1 in 35 million.

I'll be sure to git right on down and report how much black powder I have on hand....
Thinkin' I'll do it September 31st....:D

Black powder is considered an explosive..and is regulated differently than smokeless powder.
The way it needs to be stored and accounted for at a gunshop...along with the fees associated with doing so is...
Mind boggling...and expensive...which is one reason why getting actual black powder can be difficult.
Andy

Just so I don't have to start a new thread.... tons of black and smokeless on the shelves here. Slightly higher prices than before. Also.... the shelves were stuffed with primers. CCI; Remington; Federal GMM.... I had to take my ol' man's wallet away from him! Geez.... we came out of there with 4 bricks! We were in Sheel's in Missoula. Are primers back in Oregon?

Meh.
It's for commercial use, which the ATF already knows about since it's a license.
it just adds a yearly inspection instead of a one time inspection from the Fire Department.

This is an amendment to 27 CFR Part 555.
This pertains to any person manufacturing, importing, buying, selling, transporting, and storing explosive materials.

If you need more than 50 pounds of black powder then you have to follow regulation 27cfr.
Which started in 1998, not new.
You now have a yearly inspection by the FD instead of one time at the beginning when you applied for your Explosives License.

You can go dig your ammo and powder back up now.

Last Edited:
50 pounds of black powder are in a case....
So...if your are ordering powder by the case , say like for a club order and you order 2 or more cases...
It might be wise to store the extra cases at some friend's houses.... :D
Andy

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR