JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hopefully they will do a thorough, honest investigation.
However, their knee-jerk jump to Glock within hours of the event was weird.
I would think that the powers that be would want to see what their forensics came up with instead of willy-nilly spending $200, 000 on new pistols.
And than again, who knows if that report was accurate.
This isn't the first report of such a discharge; it's one of the few maybe only caught on video. I would Imagine they think 200K is way cheaper than a multi-million dollar wrongful, negligent death lawsuit.

True. But if it was an improper holster/had a defect/was not made specifically for that gun… add that to the light trigger pull and no trigger safety of the P320 and you could get these kind of results. Slop in a holster can also be dangerous.

Perhaps but what in a holster say even the wrong holster wound cause a trigger to pull?

I just realized we're arguing the merits of holster styles doesn't change the fact that the gun was holstered, the trigger was not accessible when it discharged.
Im curious if anyone has ever done any research on how the P320 can go off on its own? Has this been replicated?

This isn't the first report of such a discharge; it's one of the few maybe only caught on video. I would Imagine they think 200K is way cheaper than a multi-million dollar wrongful, negligent death lawsuit.

Perhaps but what in a holster say even the wrong holster wound cause a trigger to pull?
Not sure. I'm not defending Sig. I don't like or trust the P320 although they are a joy to shoot (specifically the legion). I'm just saying there could be other factors involved. We don't know if the gun was modified, trigger job, heat work done to the holster, debris in the holster, etc.

The other guys seem to have their weapons high and tight.
at least one other officer may have a similar holster....
1690584044038.png

Im curious if anyone has ever done any research on how the P320 can go off on its own? Has this been replicated?
In the old P320s that were not drop safe it was replicated. As far as the new variants I have no idea.

It must be your computer no struggle it was a holstered gun

It's not my computer. Read my previous post again. I said "...if there was a struggle..." in my Post #4, so I was not saying there was a struggle, but was merely questioning if there had been.

And then I said that "...it appeared to me that the perp's leg contacted the holstered firearm..." in Post #9, where I slowed down the playback and watched it several times to be sure before I made such a claim. So in actuality, there was some degree of interference with the holster/gun (whether one wants to term that interference a "struggle" is up to them), so I reject the rabid claim that "it went off by itself", which so many SIG P320 haters seem to love to parrot.

Last Edited:
Hopefully they will do a thorough, honest investigation.
However, their knee-jerk jump to Glock within hours of the event was weird.
I thought the same thing and it makes me skeptical it was the gun.

But were probably never gonna get from the news what kind of holster it was to judge...

I thought the same thing and it makes me skeptical it was the gun.

But were probably never gonna get from the news what kind of holster it was to judge...
They'll probably go with the same holster manufacturer! LOL.

In the old P320s that were not drop safe it was replicated. As far as the new variants I have no idea.
Im just assuming that any duty guns are current production and no department would issue the original design. IIRC the drop safe issue was a good 5-6 yrs ago and supposedly Sig upgraded their design.

[/QUOTE]
If the report was true, that was an unusually abrupt decision.
Emotion based.

Could be several things and we may never know.
Having a WML holster allows an open space for debris/objects to fall into and foul a trigger.
Reportedly the prisoner contacted the officer in the leg area just before the discharge.
Maybe the wrong holster combined with the contact ?
We don't know.
Maybe someday a report will be issued ?

As far as the duty holster goes I wouldn't issue anything other than a Safariland ALS level 3 holster.

I've never been able to make it happen in 7+ years and 13,000+ rounds of training, plinking, and USPSA competition. Color me skeptical...

Last Edited:
Im just assuming that any duty guns are current production and no department would issue the original design. IIRC the drop safe issue was a good 5-6 yrs ago and supposedly Sig upgraded their design.
I can't see how the drop-safe issue applies here, but it always gets brought up in these threads.
2017/18 timeframe for the drop-safe fix.
Reportedly this dept recently acquired P320s so there is no way that they could have been equipped with P320 ver. 1.0

I've never been able to make it happen in 7+ years and 13,000+ rounds in training, plinking, and USPSA competition. Color me skeptical...
Thats why Im skeptical. I imagine their are many thousands of P320s in use every day compared to the 100 or so reports of random holster discharges. I do know that people that have accidental discharges are prone to shift the blame.
That said, this video -is- different. Clearly the gun was in the holster when it went off. That still doesnt mean it was the guns design though.

Unless we know what the holster was we wont know.

Last Edited:
The ambulance-chaser attorneys have been trying to replicate that for years.
Whomever does it will be rich.....it's the SIG pinata and all these law firms are swinging sticks at it.

The unfortunate thing is that some believers in "spontaneous P320 explosion" have been permanently scared off of the P320.
And that's fine if someone doesn't like a particular pistol, it's just too bad that it's is based on falsified reports.

Last Edited:
At least with Glocks, the cops have to shoot themselves in the junk or the leg. The gun doesn't do it for them.
A P320 doesn't do it for them, either. So far, every attempt at people implicating a P320 magically firing on its own accord upon its owner has been debunked by evidence later found that points to poor/inappropriate gun handling.

I'll continue to EDC my P320 as I have for the past 7+ years. I'm pretty confident that in the 13,000+ rds I've put through it without a single uncommanded discharge that its not going "to go off by itself"... It hasn't yet, and I can say with clarity that it won't. Over 7 years and 13,000+ rds of flawless execution informs my opinion. But this is 'Murca, so y'all can do y'all...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads