JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had that happen . It was also a Winchester case, it looks like the case did not fully chamber in the barrel

store bought reman ammo it is a 9mm .

1686905698966.jpeg

Last Edited:
Yeah, I am leaning toward overcharge, It was LOUD, and blew the glasses right off my face, sent the magazine baseplate through my shoe into my foot. :eek: The case is not bulged anywhere, just one side is blown out, and the primer actually has a hole all the way through it. I don't remember much but a loud bang, big flash, and my hand felt numb for awhile. We never found the magazine body, just the baseplate stuck in my foot and a mangled spring. Thanks for the answers and opinions. Guy
That does sound like way over charged then. Glad you were not hurt badly. How is the gun?

You OK?
I'm thinking out of battery. It's pretty hard to double charge unless you're an absolute dunce but it's possible.
It could happen, 45ACP is big enough to make a hot-tub from.

Yeah, I am leaning toward overcharge, It was LOUD, and blew the glasses right off my face, sent the magazine baseplate through my shoe into my foot. The case is not bulged anywhere, just one side is blown out, and the primer actually has a hole all the way through it. I don't remember much but a loud bang, big flash, and my hand felt numb for awhile. We never found the magazine body, just the baseplate stuck in my foot and a mangled spring. Thanks for the answers and opinions. Guy
I think that round caught you trying to look up its dress and it slapped the safety-glasses off your face, then it arch-stomped you with the mag-base.

That's what you get…. pervert!

I think that round caught you trying to look up its dress and it slapped the safety-glasses off your face, then it arch-stomped you with the mag-base.

That's what you get…. pervert!
I think he did more than try and look up it's dress. From what I heard... he fingered it.:s0001:

Looks like it will come through, got some parts on order already :)
Glad to hear it. LONG ago before we could buy ammo on line buddy of mine ordered a case of .45 reloads. I told him price was too cheap, don't do it. They were crap. I told him let me pull them apart and use the parts. He again wanted to use them up. He was almost through them and one did just like yours in his new Detonic's. Blew the mag guts out, took out both grips, sent him to the Doc to get some brass slivers pulled from his hand. The very expensive pistol survived. Good lesson on always wearing eye protection when shooting.

Have you ever seen a grossly flattened primer due to overpressure?
Yes. A double charge of W231. Likely 4.3 gr, in .38 special through a S&W M66 4". The report was louder and more recoil. Not that much though. Noticeable but not extreme.. Primer wasn't pierced but was a unique kind of flat

What gun are we talking about here?

Yes. A double charge of W231. Likely 4.3 gr, in .38 special through a S&W M66 4". The report was louder and more recoil. Not that much though. Noticeable but not extreme.. Primer wasn't pierced but was a unique kind of flat

What gun are we talking about here?
All guns can flatten primers with hot loads. OP primer is not flat at all.

Have you ever fired a round with a squib in the barrel? Sometimes looks like that! Both bullets go out the barrel, big bang on case end. Stuff goes flying. Case usually ruptures at the base downwards through magazine well. It is technically over pressure but different over pressure.

OP, clear the gun before kaboom? Or was it bang bang bang kaboom?

Have you ever fired a round with a squib in the barrel? Sometimes looks like that! Both bullets go out the barrel, big bang on case end. Stuff goes flying. Case usually ruptures at the base downwards through magazine well. It is technically over pressure but different over pressure.

OP, clear the gun before kaboom? Or was it bang bang bang kaboom?
Not a squib, second shot of the day, first rang the steel target, second rang my bell lol. It has to have been a over, maybe double charge.

Not a squib, second shot of the day, first rang the steel target, second rang my bell lol. It has to have been an over, maybe double charge.
Very likely. Glad you were not horribly injured. I imagine the gun don't look so hot?

Very likely. Glad you were not horribly injured. I imagine the gun don't look so hot?
it got couple of scars, just makes it look tough, like me lol. Or should I say character? :)
Going to take it out in the next couple of days, and give it another chance to win my heart back.. :cool:

Last Edited:
Bypass all the rest and I'm just thankful you're okay.
Might want to review your reloading bench layout and procedures.
I had a partial charge of 296 detonate in a 44 a few eons ago.
Good thing actually. The next round when pulled apart was a near double charge.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews