JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys.
I am starting to get a bit more serious about consistently carrying in a time of failing confidence of civilized progression in our metropolitan areas. My personal safety and the safety of those in my company from my own firearm has always found top priority when I make any considerations in carrying a weapon. I strongly hope as well as believe I will much more likely experience negligent or accidental discharge ten times over the smallest chance in hell of my choice in using lethal force in the defense of my own, and I gratefully have so many habits/choices/routines/needs that I find protection and safety in passively without active force.
I was hoping to get a feeling of what others consider and what/when/where and also how (pocket/car/nightstand/iwb/owb, etc,) and the needs of the chosen carry piece considered. As stated I fear negligent discharge in my top considerations, and find the small 380 from M&P chambered with a thumb safety to meet my needs, however the 6 round limitation leaves me wanting.
I'd love to hear experiences or relationship with negligent discharge occurrences. Also hoping to find consensual recommended professional references.
I know it's all here in the many threads, but I keep getting distracted and end up in the classified section. Those bright and shiny classified opportunities so easily become what's really important! 😂🤷‍♂️😎

As stated I fear negligent discharge in my top considerations, and find the small 380 from M&P chambered with a thumb safety to meet my needs, however the 6 round limitation leaves me wanting.
Negligent Discharges happen most when performing administrative duties. I'm a huge fan of external safeties but most will disagree but they can add another layer of safety during administrative duties. If you already own a gun you like and are proficient with stay with that, 6 rounds is lacking depends on your needs and experience level. Often times its not practical to carry a larger capacity gun, you have to be the judge of what you need where you go and the activities you do.

Negligent Discharges happen most when performing administrative duties. I'm a huge fan of external safeties but most will disagree but they can add another layer of safety during administrative duties. If you already own a gun you like and are proficient with stay with that, 6 rounds is lacking depends on your needs and experience level. Often times it's not practical to carry a larger capacity gun, you have to be the judge of what you need where you go and the activities you do.
Thats the problem I'm having, the six round limitations. So I have been experimenting with bigger options (shield plus) and different carry positions. Hope to keep equipment and training investment focused anywhere other than "try it all til it works", and create direction to my learning curve. But yeah. I don't feel comfortable any longer with the 380

Thats the problem I'm having, the six round limitations. So I have been experimenting with bigger options (shield plus) and different carry positions. Hope to keep equipment and training investment focused anywhere other than "try it all til it works", and create direction to my learning curve. But yeah. I don't feel comfortable any longer with the 380
A 6rd sub compact is invaluable in certain situations where its absolutely essential you cant print the gun or the activity it more physical or getting caught can get you sent home (private properties). I would not feel undergunned in these places with only 6 rounds if I was proficient with that gun. I like to have a thumb safety on the smaller guns, especially for pocket carry.
6 rounds becomes more limited (ie: underrgunned) in more open public environments (malls, shopping, street etc.) but there are several good compact options that easily hold 10rds or more. If you own and are proficient with the Shield Plus, use that.
For safety, its ideal of the different guns you own and use have the same safety operation (ie, thumbsafety). If not, then you must train to be proficient with both safeties. At the end of the day, negligent discharges come down to training not the thumb safety. Bottom line is learn to use what you have that you shoot proficient with. Dont worry about searching for the proverbial best gun.... though thats not a bad way to build a huge collection :p

Use what you got, learn it like you can run it with your eyes closed (figuratively).

Hi guys.
I am starting to get a bit more serious about consistently carrying in a time of failing confidence of civilized progression in our metropolitan areas. My personal safety and the safety of those in my company from my own firearm has always found top priority when I make any considerations in carrying a weapon. I strongly hope as well as believe I will much more likely experience negligent or accidental discharge ten times over the smallest chance in hell of my choice in using lethal force in the defense of my own, and I gratefully have so many habits/choices/routines/needs that I find protection and safety in passively without active force.
I was hoping to get a feeling of what others consider and what/when/where and also how (pocket/car/nightstand/iwb/owb, etc,) and the needs of the chosen carry piece considered. As stated I fear negligent discharge in my top considerations, and find the small 380 from M&P chambered with a thumb safety to meet my needs, however the 6 round limitation leaves me wanting.
I'd love to hear experiences or relationship with negligent discharge occurrences. Also hoping to find consensual recommended professional references.
I know it's all here in the many threads, but I keep getting distracted and end up in the classified section. Those bright and shiny classified opportunities so easily become what's really important! 😂🤷‍♂️😎
I have had 2 negligent discharges (NDs) in my life, so please learn something from my stupidity! :s0140:

The first I had almost no experience with guns, went shooting in the woods with a buddy, failed to unload the rifle, and nearly put a .22 through my toe when carrying it back to the truck. Scared the crap out of myself and him, and learned a valuable lesson about making sure the gun is unloaded when not in use.

The second was years later, I had a lot more experience with firearms, but my ego & overconfidence got in the way of common sense. When I assumed a shooting grip on a Colt Pony 380 (I was an idiot and didn't clear it first), my thumb deactivated the safety without me realizing it. And I proceeded from there to make an even dumber mistake and think "oh, the safety is on, so I can try the trigger out..." *smh*

I was lucky - ended up only putting a hole in my parent's floor, and scaring the crap out of myself and everyone else in the house. That second one did the trick, though. Ever since (that was over 15 years ago) I've been an absolute stickler for following safety rules and making sure when a firearm is being handled I am completely aware of it's condition, where it's pointed, and what my hands and fingers are doing with it.

Having gone through all that I can say with confidence you're NEVER too good to screw up. And having had that second ND on a manual safety gun, I must caution against thinking a specific type or model of gun is going to magically ensure you don't ND. Guns are just machines - NDs are operator error.

If you want to avoid NDs, you need to train hard and long on the absolute fundamentals of firearm handling so they become second nature to you.
  • Every time you go to even touch a gun, you index that trigger finger and keep it indexed until you've decided to press the trigger. Doesn't matter if you're picking up a gun of the workbench or drawing from holster, index always. Practice until you can't NOT index when picking up a gun.
  • Every time you go to pick it up, you make sure it's pointed in a safe direction. When in doubt, point it downwards.
  • Once it's in your hands, immediately check the condition of the weapon so you know if it's loaded or not.
  • If it is loaded and shouldn't be, immediately unload it.
  • Get used to holding a firearm in a non-shooting posture (i.e. Sul or low-ready).
  • Get used to looking around by turning your head instead of your whole body so you don't inadvertently flag people with the gun in your hands.
  • When reholstering, do it slowly and make sure you're checking to ensure the holster is free of obstructions.
  • When handling a gun, stop and think before you act. More NDs happen from the user doing stuff without thinking than anything else. If you want try the trigger pull on a pistol you've just picked up, think through the procedure you will go through to get to that outcome, then do it slowly and deliberately.
  • Follow the safety rules like your life and the lives of those around you depends on it - because it does. The minute you ignore a safety rule is the same minute Mr. Murphy makes an unscheduled appearance.
If you do the above, it doesn't matter what gun you have - you'll be safe with it. Best of luck, and please reach out directly if you have any questions.

Edited to include:
You might also look into extended baseplates for your existing gun. That's a good way to inexpensively make your 6+1 into 7 or 8+1. I carried a G42 with +2 baseplates for several years until I moved to the LCP Max. Then you can take the cash you didn't spend on a new gun and invest in training to improve your confidence in gun handling and reinforce good and safe technique.

Last Edited:
Don't want a ND at work? Leave it in the holster and don't touch it at work. Simple as that. NDs happen when you mess wit the pistol; taking it on and off, loading/unloading, dryfire practice... Anything where you are messing with it and might make a mistake. If you are not handling it, if it is secure in its holster and that holster has adequate trigger protection, then a ND is all but impossible.

I use holsters I can take on and off without having to remove the gun. The gun stays loaded until I take it to rang practice, dryfire practice or cleaning. This minimizes the opportunity for a ND, and because of that I can dedicate significant brain power when I do need to handle it. It is not something "routine" in a way that breeds complacency, it is routine on a much more infrequent level where concentration and mindfulness are easier to maintain.

Cary is safe if you are safe. Learn to minimize the opportunity for an ND and learn to really concentrate in situations where others have gotten complacent and had one. I have carried for almost two decades now, and have never had a ND (on the range or otherwise) because I paid attention to those that have had a ND and learned from their mistakes. I constantly pay attention to my own complacency and actively fight it. I do not assume "I'll never make that mistake." I assume I will and make sure I minimize that possibility by minimizing those situations.

Don't want a ND at work? Leave it in the holster and don't touch it at work. Simple as that. NDs happen when you mess wit the pistol; taking it on and off, loading/unloading, dryfire practice... Anything where you are messing with it and might make a mistake. If you are not handling it, if it is secure in its holster and that holster has adequate trigger protection, then a ND is all but impossible.

I use holsters I can take on and off without having to remove the gun. The gun stays loaded until I take it to rang practice, dryfire practice or cleaning. This minimizes the opportunity for a ND, and because of that I can dedicate significant brain power when I do need to handle it. It is not something "routine" in a way that breeds complacency, it is routine on a much more infrequent level where concentration and mindfulness are easier to maintain.

Cary is safe if you are safe. Learn to minimize the opportunity for an ND and learn to really concentrate in situations where others have gotten complacent and had one. I have carried for almost two decades now, and have never had a ND (on the range or otherwise) because I paid attention to those that have had a ND and learned from their mistakes. I constantly pay attention to my own complacency and actively fight it. I do not assume "I'll never make that mistake." I assume I will and make sure I minimize that possibility by minimizing those situations.
+1 to all of this ^^^

If you never violate Jeff Coopers 4 simple rules you will never have an accident that harms anyone.

1. All guns are always loaded. Even if they are not, treat them as if they are.
  2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy. (For those who insist that this particular gun is unloaded, see Rule 1.)
  3. Keep your finger off the trigger till your sights are on the target. This is the Golden Rule. Its violation is directly responsible for about 60 percent of inadvertent discharges.
  4. Identify your target, and what is behind it. Never shoot at anything that you have not positively identified.

to add to the 4 rules I dont see how one could even have an accident if following the 4 simple rules.

200.gif

200.gif

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews