JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I never abuse originals. I either restore or fix already sporterized guns. This one came to me in that stock, but covered in a wine colored stain and spar varnish.

Alright, so I worked on one of my m1917's (Actually a BSA model E). This one is chambered in the grand ol 30-06 cartridge. I hogged out the glass bedding, so the BSA model E would fit in like a glove. Later on, I'll glass bed it to this action. I also added a red pachmayr decelerator recoil pad to the stock. It's a great combination for a wood stocked rifle and helps soak up recoil. Here's just the beginnings of the work I started. The stock still needs some re-contouring. The forend is still a little fat for my liking. Here's what I got done today though. 4 hours of work into it:

0lCk8Et.jpg

I also shortened the LOP as well, as it was long. Now it's cut off to a better angle and with a LOP right around 13 3/4". Here's what the recoil pad looked like before fitting:
YZSvmRY.jpg
8G0jOdT.jpg

I shimmed up (with epoxy) the front scope base the other day. Can't hardly tell (just the way I like it):
9FCnRZr.jpg

My 2 left hand stocked m1917's:
yWu3eKO.jpg
I still have some trimming up, glass bedding and refinishing, to do with the one on top... I had the lower one out deer hunting this morning. I love these m1917's...

The 1917 can be modified to cock on opening. But it would not
fit the "as issued" criteria of Vintage rifle matches.:eek: I try and follow
the rules. In my opinion, as a shooter the US service rifles 1917, O3, O3A3, M1
are superior to the Mausers, Mosins, K-31. Do to the aperture rear sight
with windage adjustment. Much easier to see the front post. One of the rifles
that I struggle with is the M98 Mauser with the stupid barleycorn front sight. :confused::confused:
The Mauser may not have good sights but are great shooters. My Model 88' Comission and Kar 98 rifles shoot as well as any of my two dozen milsurp bolt actions save the Swedish Mausers. The 1903 Springfield feels like a Kar 98 with a heavy barrel.

The Mauser may not have good sights but are great shooters. My Model 88' Comission and Kar 98 rifles shoot as well as any of my two dozen milsurp bolt actions save the Swedish Mausers. The 1903 Springfield feel like a Kar 98 with a heavy barrel.

I like the old mausers too. My dad has a VZ24 8x57 that is a sweet shooter. Even though it is in rough condition. It still shoots and functions just fine and is very accurate. The sights are good enough for a battle rifle...

The 6.5 Swede is almost the perfect round. The Enfields are wonderful shooters too and very underrated in USA. Thier only drawback is rimmed 303 cartridge. They must be loaded very preciecly and adds stress in battle conditions.

The m1917 enfields were chambered in 30-06. The patern 14 (P14) were 303 British...

I keep passing these 1917's over, never sticking to one, and never really finding one that would be a keeper. I do have two Brit Lend Lease returns sitting in the back of the safe, but haven't even cleaned them out to see how the bores look! I just thought it would be fun to have a few Lend Lease Arms!

Today's Vintage Rifle Match at TCGC. Theme is 100 years or older.:eek:
I can bring my O3 or 1917 US Enfield. I shoot the Springfield O3 better. From a
practical shooting standpoint I hate the Barley Corn front sight on the Mauser.
Vintage Military Rifle and Pistol Competition
View attachment 506060
Ron, Here is my Springfield 1903 made in late 1918. I have shot American Eagle 150 grain boattail (AE3006N) through it but it seems a bit hot. What off the shelf ammo would you recommend?

18E4846F-A084-479B-89E4-80464613F257.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads