JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What the heck is this???
Any ideas how to get it out while preserving the threading?
(Click to enbiggin)
1706804294444.png

Tip of a thread tap that broke off during MFG??
Suggestions?

Last Edited:
I take it you probably don't have a set of EZ Outs or tap extractors?
I have.. and tried "EZ outs". It was a no go. I looks like a tap extractor might be the ticket. It makes sense but didn't even occur to me they might make such a thing.

Last Edited:
keep in mind that extractor quality plays a major role in how well they work. The cheap ones off Amazon et. al. can be softer and/or more brittle than higher quality sets and can fail to bite into broken bolts well enough to get them out or just break when they do bite. If a cheap set fails is does not necessarily mean you cannot get them out that way, you may just need a higher quality set.

I personally keep a few cheap sets around to abuse and a nice set for stubborn bolts that actually need the better capability.

keep in mind that extractor quality plays a major role in how well they work. The cheap ones off Amazon et. al. can be softer and/or more brittle than higher quality sets and can fail to bite into broken bolts well enough to get them out or just break when they do bite. If a cheap set fails is does not necessarily mean you cannot get them out that way, you may just need a higher quality set.

I personally keep a few cheap sets around to abuse and a nice set for stubborn bolts that actually need the better capability.
Good info. Thanks 👍
I gave it a good kroil soak and will give it another dose before attempting. At least I have 2 directions I can attempt to get at it.

Last Edited:
Good info. Thanks 👍
I gave it a good kroil soak and will give it another dose before attempting. At least I have 2 directions I can attempt to get at it.

Worst case... it's deep enough the grip bolt will actually go all the way in, as is, and if I'm careful... it's back far enough and low enough that it shouldn't interfere with the trigger group and the last mm or so in the main pocket can still be milled to depth.

I really hate having to half-a** it if it's at all possible to do it right, but it also doesn't make sense to spend 30-40 bones on a higher quality extractor for a $25 chunk of aluminum.
Well the nice thing about extractor sets is once you have them you tend to find more broken bolts. You can decide to take that as a positive or negative yourself :s0140:

Aluminum lower receiver threaded grip bolt hole. (Trigger pocket view). Seems to be something stuck up in the end of the hole and mangled a mill end.
Tip of a thread tap that broke off during MFG??
I feel like theres a story on how you got that in there thats more interesting than how to get it out... ;)
Well?

Well the nice thing about extractor sets is once you have them you tend to find more broken bolts. You can decide to take that as a positive or negative yourself :s0140:
That's NEVER how it works for me. When I bungle up, it always requires the one tool I don't have... and paying out cash money for a job specific tool is sure insurance I'll never need that tool again.🤣

That's NEVER how it works for me. When I bungle up, it always requires the one tool I don't have... and paying out cash money for a job specific tool is sure insurance I'll never need that tool again.🤣
Same.
Harbor Freight is your friend here.

I feel like theres a story on how you got that in there thats more interesting than how to get it out... ;)
Well?
Surprisingly, this is one SNAFU that was not of my own doing.
It came with the paperweight.

Not terribly long ago it came as part of a package for something I bought from one of the members here. The guy had it for years. Never used. And came with a paperweight he had gotten from the MFG at the same time.

Had to be quite old since it's a 6061T6 paperweight but not sure if the broken tool tip was his or a gift from the MFG

Last Edited:
Thank You very much @VinnieBoomBah !
All of 30 sec's... Easy peasy! 🤣

1706988998959.png
(I cheaped out and got the $5 set. 😁 Fit my tap and die set handle just perfect.)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads