JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love the old m1917 rifles. They have a lot of history and they sure do work damn slick. I've had one since I was 12 years old, so I guess that makes me a little biased toward them. I took my sporterized m1917 out the other day and dumped a nice fork with it. Worked as it should. This rifle has had the stock re-worked/re-contoured and refinished by yours truly, I also swapped out the old military trigger for a good Timney that breaks very cleanly at 2.5 pounds. This one is a shooter too. Lately I've been using 200 grain nosler partitions, because they were on sale at SPS for $13.45/bag. Hard to go wrong there:

This is one of my favorite rifles and for good reason. This was my zero check right before deer season:

I'd like to hear some stories from you guys that like these old rifles. Pics are never a bad thing either. Good luck with your hunting and be safe out there...

DSC00172_zpskjrezebl.jpg IMG_0733_zpssdp4dcjs.jpg

Well, I just finished (or so I thought) a restoration of a 1917. Has a bad barrel that needs to be replaced, but then I will have a nice shooter in military dress.

After that, I have all the parts to build a nice sporter except the receiver and some sights. Need to find an inexpensive receiver that hasn't been too badly sportered, so I can have the rear ring properly ground and contoured. It's a heavy beast of a rifle, but nice shooters, and I look forward to a nice 1917 sporter to go along with all my 1903 sporters.

US Model 1917 referred to as the "US Enfield". Alvin York's rifle. 2/3 of our US troops
in WW1 were equipped with the 1917. Destruction tests on the 1917 proved it to be the strongest action compared to any other bolt gun. I have shot my Winchester 1917
in Vintage rifle matches.:rolleyes: Great rifle but I don't like the "cock on close". Pushes the
rifle off the shoulder in rapid fire!:eek:o_O I prefer the 1903 for that reason.

If you ever get bored and want to play ron, I think I have several cock on open conversion kits laying around. Not saying to it to a military rifle, but perhaps a sporter. The cock on close never bothered me, I have enough rifles that do it.
But I am awfully fond of my 1903 and 03a3's. Both original and sporter, they are some of my favorites.

The 1917 can be modified to cock on opening. But it would not
fit the "as issued" criteria of Vintage rifle matches.:eek: I try and follow
the rules. In my opinion, as a shooter the US service rifles 1917, O3, O3A3, M1
are superior to the Mausers, Mosins, K-31. Do to the aperture rear sight
with windage adjustment. Much easier to see the front post. One of the rifles
that I struggle with is the M98 Mauser with the stupid barleycorn front sight. :confused::confused:

Sadly Ron, I will be at the gun show in Redmond all weekend, otherwise I would be pleased to let you kick my butt!

I will get out and shoot one of the matches with you at some point. I have an original 03a3 that should be match legal.

If you want one of the kits to play with, I would be happy to drop one in the mail to you. Like we both said, not for service rifle, but something to play with in a sporter...

Cool stuff guys, I'm glad someone else likes these old rifles. I realize mine is nothing like an original military, but this is what I'm used to. When I was 12 years old I got my first 30-06 heavy barreled sporterized m1917. That rifle was built right and was extremely accurate. I remember shooting lizards on the hillside in Nevada at 200 yards. Jackrabbits didn't stand a chance either. Another cool m1917 I let get away was my BSA model D that was factory sporterized in England. Those guys really knew how to re-work those old rifles. This one was a phenomenal shooter too. I called it my "poor man's pre 64" :p. I shot my best offhand group with this rifle. Not going to tell you guys it was a 1.057" 5 shot group, because you wouldn't believe me anyway :rolleyes::

I miss this one and know where a model E is that is calling my name.....

005-23.jpg

Awesome post buddy. I'm glad you are starting your son off with a rifle like that. Sounds like it has some mucho mojo and sentimental value. Cool beans...

These are great old rifles. I trust mine more than any other rifle I own. However, there are some parts I change out when I first get one. These parts:

1. Modify the ejector for a coil spring, instead of the weak leaf spring original.
2. Military trigger has to go. I really like the Timney sportsman trigger. You can buy one for the 6 shot (original mag box with original military floor plate) or the 5 shot for the shorter mag box and straightened floor plate that most sporters use or are converted to.

3. Not a necessity, but the pre 64 model 70 extractor looks better on these rifles and they work great.

4. Follower mod that allows the bolt to slide forward without a cartridge in the magazine. I do this to all of my m1917's...

Some guys prefer the cock on open modification that was originally developed by Dayton Traister. Some problems have arisen with this modification like weak firing pin strikes because of the short throw of the pin with the modified system. I believe my left handed stocked rifle has the Dayton traister kit installed, as I had to modify my Timney trigger to get it to work properly. I'm one that doesn't mind the military cock on close system, as that's what I grew up using and just got used to it. Either system works, the verdict is still out on the cock on open kit on my newest to me rifle: It works too smoothly and I really don't know if a cartridge is loaded into the chamber unless I'm watching it go in. Reminds me of my Pre 64 model 70 375 H&H. Just slick slick feeding...:cool: However, with this being said, the rifle works flawlessly and is probably my smoothest operating bolt gun in the stable... I'm seriously thinking about using it this Wednesday for opening elk season....

Thanks John. I need all the luck I can get!!! Saw 5 nice bulls while I was out scouting during opening morning buck hunt. Hopefully I run into at least 1 of those critters again...

Well, it wasn't big, but I wanted to get some more good meat in the freezer. Held up my promise and put the old rifle to work yesterday. Chasing these sobs in the rain for 2 days sucked. The bull was soaking wet and my feet were soaking wet too.....:D

DSC00177_zpsdhekpgcm.jpg

The old "elk load" and rifle both worked like a champ...;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top