JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
How else is the AVERAGE American using a brace?

I tried a few braces. Because like everyone else I wanted a SBR without having to go the Form 1/NFA route. Every style I tried was a knock off stock version. They were soft, would fold up depending on shooting position position, and simply (IN MY OPINION) looked goofy.

Once I realized how easy the Form 1 process was I will never go back. The only benefit to the brace/pistol is crossing state lines. Well, I live in Oregon. Cali is a no-go and so is Washington now….

I'm no operator. I don't roll around with a "truck gun." If I'm traveling I'm content with my daily carry as self defense. No worries on my end. Yea, yea…. A pistol is there to fight your way to a rifle. I got it.

I went Form 1 because a SBR is much more pleasant to shoot and shoulder than a brace. That's it. I enjoy it much more with a stock. And if I get to the point where I am forced to travel with a weapon the NFA is going to be the last of my concerns.

Again. Before everyone starts throwing stones, calling me arrogant, etc. these are the reason I (key word I) went with a SBR over brace. I tried the brace. Wasn't a fan. So I went with a Form 1.

If people like braces more power to them.
It is funny how all the "do not comply" complainers didn't seem to have a problem with getting a stamp for an SBR until the brace & amnesty kerfuffle came to the forefront.

I am not a fan of most SBRs - with stock or with brace, either way - but to each their own.

It is funny how all the "do not comply" complainers didn't seem to have a problem with getting a stamp for an SBR until the brace & amnesty kerfuffle came to the forefront.

I am not a fan of most SBRs - with stock or with brace, either way - but to each their own.
I had tax stamps long before the initial ruling came down.

And again. Putting a brace on a short barreled rifle/pistol is just as much complying as doing a form 1. They've just justified it as better/moral in their head. Which is fine. But it's all the same.

How else is the AVERAGE American using a brace?

I tried a few braces. Because like everyone else I wanted a SBR without having to go the Form 1/NFA route. Every style I tried was a knock off stock version. They were soft, would fold up depending on shooting position position, and simply (IN MY OPINION) looked goofy.

Once I realized how easy the Form 1 process was I will never go back. The only benefit to the brace/pistol is crossing state lines. Well, I live in Oregon. Cali is a no-go and so is Washington now….

I'm no operator. I don't roll around in the city with a "truck gun." If I'm traveling I'm content with my daily carry as self defense. No worries on my end. Yea, yea…. A pistol is there to fight your way to a rifle. I got it.

I went Form 1 because a SBR is much more pleasant to shoot and shoulder than a brace. That's it. I enjoy it much more with a stock (a bit like shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed). And if I get to the point where I am forced to travel with a weapon in a SHTF scenario, the NFA is going to be the last of my concerns.

Again. Before everyone starts throwing stones, calling me arrogant, etc. these are the reason I (key word I) went with a SBR over brace. I tried the brace. Wasn't a fan. So I went with a Form 1.

If people like braces more power to them.

Some people think Glocks are ugly and hate the way they feel. I love the way Glocks look and handle. We all have opinions/preferences.
Agree totally. I was shouldering my brace like a stock. The ATF even gave latitude if it wasn't being done intentionally whatever that means. Oops it was a mistake the whole time :rolleyes:. The whole thing is ridiculous really.
I am likely going to do a Form 1 soon, I've done two Form 4s and it couldn't be any harder than that. I'll just have 1 dedicated lower for that purpose. You're right about Washington being a no go but soon enough Oregon could be right there with it. Eventually we have to decide how free we really are....

Agree totally. I was shouldering my brace like a stock. The ATF even gave latitude if it wasn't being done intentionally whatever that means. Oops it was a mistake the whole time :rolleyes:. The whole thing is ridiculous really.
I am likely going to do a Form 1 soon, I've done two Form 4s and it couldn't be any harder than that. I'll just have 1 dedicated lower for that purpose. You're right about Washington being a no go but soon enough Oregon could be right there with it. Eventually we have to decide how free we really are....
That's where each individual is going to have to make his/her choice. There are certain laws I refuse to follow. There are others that I am not willing to at this point. I have a family to provide for and I won't be worth sh!t rotting away in a jail cell.

Risk vs. Reward.

There is a lot of talk on the internet but when push comes to shove we will see whose words meet their actions. It's easy to "say" what you're going to do when you're sitting in the comfort of your own home behind a key board.

The community will never have the same line drawn in the sand. So it's on each one of us individually to decide where we stand. And at some point you or I may be standing alone.

That's where each individual is going to have to make his/her choice. There are certain laws I refuse to follow. There are others that I am not willing to at this point. I have a family to provide for and I won't be worth sh!t rotting away in a jail cell.

Risk vs. Reward.

There is a lot of talk on the internet but when push comes to shove we will see whose words meet their actions. It's easy to "say" what you're going to do when you're sitting in the comfort of your own home behind a key board.

The community will never have the same line drawn in the sand. So it's on each one of us individually to decide where we stand. And at some point you or I may be standing alone.
You're right I'd much rather have my family and be a father than be dead on my front lawn. I'm also no operator and a $200 stamp and a few rules won't be the hill for me to die on. But I'm also not going to hand over anything because they changed their minds and decided I was a criminal. I'm glad the brace rule was stopped because I'm tired of giving them wins no matter how big or small.

I don't answer questions.

IMG_3669.jpeg

So a lower court rules in favor of pistol braces.
Then a higher court will strike down that ruling ?

There has been so much blabber about braces for the past few years, it's hard to keep up with it.
Agree it's like a yo-yo. It's on, it's off. Same with some of the other lawsuits. In this case though the TX higher court has a pro-2A track record so it looks favorable. What I would like to see is something from ATF on it, since they are the ones enforcing it. But I don't think they will make a peep until scotus rules on it (or decides not to hear it).

One thing I wonder about is there any brace lawsuits in other circuits pending? I wonder if another circuit court will make the opposite ruling. Then would one part of the country be legal and the other not? Hopefully we will never have to deal with that.

People hear "court struck it down" and assume it's permament. Often it doesn't mean permanent (as is the case with the two recent CA cases on mags and "assault weapons").

I have one rifle-caliber-handgun that had a brace on it. I only bought it because it was cheap and looked cool. I took the brace off and chucked it. I won't put it back on, in fact I think I'll just get a rifle barrel and make a rifle out of it.

No offense intended to those who like those kind of guns (to each their own), but they're just not my thing. I shot it a couple times and lost interest. Like a suppressor, an SBR would be wasted on me. Just not my thing.

Gotta say my 7.5" 300 black out is fun as hell to shoot. Will eventually sbr it and get a suppressor for it. But for a SHTF ordeal in an urban area a sbr is a decent weapon.

Wouldn't mind taking it on a hog hunt as well once it's suppressed etc.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top