JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My heart sank a little today. Went to do the transfer on my new beautiful m1917 30-06 and found out it is really a p14 303 British. I saw right away that it had a P14 extractor on it, then when I got it home I did some measuring and looked at the mag box and follower. Not m1917, but P14. I contacted the gunbroker seller, with a nice email just a few minutes ago. Not sure what to do now...:( Any suggestions from the crowd here?

Does it bother anyone that the rifle probably played a role in preserving freedom for the people of Europe?

Aloha, Mark

I get it, there's no other way to stop tyranny. I just can't help but feel for the kids in the trenches. For the most part they were probably poorly educated, doing what they were told was right. No idea about entangling alliances or world politics, just some kid carrying a gun because someone told him it was his duty. He's knee deep in mud because some a-hole killed another a-hole in Sarajevo.

The whole "ours is not to wonder why" idea. It bugs me. Still, read post #43.

P

Last Edited:
I get it, there's no other way to stop tyranny. I just can't help but feel for the kids in the trenches. For the most part they were probably poorly educated, doing what they were told was right. No idea about entangling alliances or world politics, just some kid carrying a gun because someone told him it was his duty. He's knee deep in mud because some a-hole killed another a-hole in Sarajevo.

The whole "ours is not to wonder why" idea. It bugs me. Still, read post #43.

P

I hear you. When my son joined the USMC, Obama was still the Commander in Chief. I asked my son, if he was willing to die for OBAMA.

Anyway.....his response was more about The Country calling. Rather than, about one person telling him, where he's going and who the enemy is or isn't.

Hummm.....maybe he didn't quite understand the question? Or maybe, I just worded it badly?

OK, Ok, ok.....we should all be aware of what we sign up for. And, elections have consequences. Too bad the Dems are such sore losers.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....adding......what grinds my gears is that......
Europe and many countries (perhaps even including America to a degree) still haven't learned the lesson(s) of having a trained and armed population to quickly call upon to combat an "enemy". Be they, foreign or domestic.

What if this was American Policy?
"We are not about to send American boys 9 or 10 thousand miles away from home to do what ______ boys ought to be doing for themselves."
Read more at: Lyndon B. Johnson Quotes

And before we go there......I am NOT advocating that America should have an "isolationist policy."

Last Edited:
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do with a P14 303 British??? I'd like to put my BSA Model E in that left hand stock though. We'll see what that's going to take.

Thanks mountainbear, it's the rifle I posted earlier with the stock that has the left hand cheek piece. The barreled action is nicely blued and has a 24" tube.

I can get some pics later. It has the typical p14 extractor, mag box and not marked 1917, like the 1917's have on the front bridge. 30-06 does not chamber and is too long for the mag box, also the bolt face is for a .530" cartridge, not .473, so the extractor does not even grip a 30-06. 303 British chambers in the rifle. Upon inspecting and measuring with small hole gauge and mic, the dimensions are saying it's a 303 British. Also had my Smith check it and confirm what I found. Of course before I fire a cartridge through it, I'd do a chamber cast with cerosafe to be 100% certain that it is indeed within spec.

The m1917 is so freaking awesome!! Worked on my left hand stock inletted for the sporterized p14 this evening. I was thinking, hog out the glass bedding, open up the barrel channel lickidy split. No problem, 3 hours later, I think I'm done. Holy crap, it doesn't take this long on a pre 64 model 70 :D:D. Although I took out the tiny files and made sure there were no "secondary " recoil lugs. Also installed my 111 Timney (6 shot) and Lyman 16a on my BSA Model E. I still need to cut an inch off this monster left hand stock. That's on both ends, so a total of 2", + add a nice red pachmayr. I'll end up recon touring the whole stock and refinishing, like I did with my other left hand m1917 stock. I'll also add some pillars and glass bed it, then shoot some groups. Should be a great shooter, as the rifling looks great. I may post pics of progress. Anyone else have any good 1917's? Post pics please.

Picked one up recently; I know the nickel steel is a bit grabby; any way to slick that up a bit? I have started mirror-polishing the bolt which helps, but any insight would be appreciated!

A guy I know does a damn good job jeweling bolts. I'm going to have mine done after hunting season. It really helps to slicken up the bolt. That's about my best suggestion.

Is it in .303? What does the receiver contouring look like?

MountainBear, this one is sporterized, so it has been ground down as per usual. Here are some pics:
bA6KBbk.jpg
xXw25Hg.jpg
golfyz4.jpg

Here's a close up of the factory P14 extractor:
Fo4XnJ7.jpg

For comparisons sake, here's a picture of a m1917 30-06 bolt face compared to the p14 303 British:
L0PChHL.jpg

The bluing and browning on the receiver are done very nicely. The rifling still looks good. I'm sure it will be a good shooter, but like I said before, I don't really want a 303 British.. I may put it in my BSA model E or another m1917 stock and send it on its way. Here's a pic of my BSA model E. This stock needs a good refinish and probably a recoil pad:
b7gOHjD.jpg

Last Edited:
Yep. Other than rounding the edges a little hard, they at least left enough meat to recontour to something more common or attractive.
The stock needs a red recoil pad and an ebony fore end tip. But it has excellent bones!

Yep. Other than rounding the edges a little hard, they at least left enough meat to recontour to something more common or attractive.
The stock needs a red recoil pad and an ebony fore end tip. But it has excellent bones!

Yeah, I like red recoil pads on wooden rifle stocks. Just ordered another one for my left hand cheek piece stock that I got with this p14. That's the main reason for buying this rifle. I'm still bummed it's a 303 and not 30-06. Again, here's the left hand stock I worked on last night:
ZS3arUE.jpg
oRHvJly.jpg
The wood has some nice figure, but the contour of the stock needs to change. To give you an idea, the length of pull on it is 14.5 inches. Much too long for a hunting rifle. It will be shortened to 13.5 to 13 5/8" LOP. Just as my other m1917 is in this pic:
QXv4UFf.jpg
This is one I re-contoured and reshaped and then refinished.. It's cool because it even has a left hand palm swell and now it fits me like a glove. One of my favorite hunting rifles...
RiXjYD0.jpg

Oh, by the way, mountainbear, I went out and took another picture of the barreled action of the P14 303 British:
bPYkR1e.jpg
The bluing is actually very nice. I do agree with you on whoever did the polishing and rounded out some corners, didn't do one of the best jobs I've seen, but I have to admit it's better than a lot I've seen. Some sporterized m1917's I've seen have been so bad, it would bring a tear to your eye..:

But think of the magnum you could build! The bolt face will already accommodate it, the mag box is not bad to expand. A beautiful stock that just needs a little love. Some quick release scope bases and iron sights. It would be truly sexy!

(I admit I, in general, have no use for magnum calibers, but it could be a fun project never the less)

But think of the magnum you could build! The bolt face will already accommodate it, the mag box is not bad to expand. A beautiful stock that just needs a little love. Some quick release scope bases and iron sights. It would be truly sexy!

(I admit I, in general, have no use for magnum calibers, but it could be a fun project never the less)

I agree buddy. However, I'm just about all magnumed out myself. My last magnum is my pre 64 model 70 semi custom (pictured in my avatar). Well, I also have a 7WSM, but it's hardly a magnum ha ha.. It seems the older I get, the thought of shooting a 7mm08 sounds better and better.. :D

That's a beauty. I really like the 6.5x55 as well. I recently bought one, but it's an all original Carl Gustav. m96. The rifle shoots excellent, just the way it is. I'd hate to mess with it:
kFpBYRq.jpg
Fa3Xa1J.jpg

Here's a 3 shot group at 100 yards, after installing the proper front sight blade on it. POI was real high before, as they originally came sighted in for 300 meters minimum...:
NoNGiRN.jpg

This is also just a thrown together load, with bullets I have never tried before (Hornady SST). They seem to shoot well in this old rifle..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top