JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey guy's, I couldn't wait until the 25th. to give the rifle to my buddy. I got home tonight and looked the stock over and decided I didn't want to mess up the last coat of tru-oil. There's only 9 coats on there now, but it looks good. I lightly buffed the finish and then waxed it. Turned out pretty good, all in all. My buddy was beside himself when he saw it. Said he "loves it". He's about the closest thing I have to a brother. Like I said, have known him since I was 10 years old. So, here's the rifle:
iiRlMfm.jpg
vpLNYou.jpg

When I put the barreled action in the stock, it felt damn good. Glass bedded the action and bottom metal. The Timney trigger feels excellent as well. Should shoot great. I'll let you guys know after I find some ammo for it. Cabela's was out last time I was there. Now I wish I would have bought some 3 weeks ago when I saw it for $17.99!!!!!! Now, I need to make sure everything is ready for tomorrow's elk hunt. The main reason I gave the rifle to my buddy tonight. For those of you going elk hunting tomorrow, hope you have good luck and be safe out there...

Very nice. I look forward to seeing updates to this thread almost as much as my 1903 thread. Thanks for sharing and please keep building new toys to share!

:D

To be honest, I had to get his done, before I could start on mine!!!!! :p I do like your 1903 thread too buddy. One of my good friends that manages a fish hatchery has hunted a sporterized 1903 since he was 12 years old. At one time, it was the only rifle he hunted with. Now he's transitioned to a pre 64 308w featherweight... I still like his 1903 though... I've been threatening to buy myself a 308 Norma magnum 1903, as you know that was all the rage way back when to convert those to that cartridge...

My 1917 barrel says made in .england

I'd really love to see a picture of it. The next one I'm going to be working on is a BSA model E. BSA (Birmingham Small Arm's) company converted old 1917 war horses to factory sporterized things of beauty. At least in my mind. They did a great job on the conversions. Very good machine work and their barrels were every bit as good as pre 64 model 70 barrels..

I'd really love to see a picture of it. The next one I'm going to be working on is a BSA model E. BSA (Birmingham Small Arm's) company converted old 1917 war horses to factory sporterized things of beauty. At least in my mind. They did a great job on the conversions. Very good machine work and their barrels were every bit as good as pre 64 model 70 barrels..
I will try to take some tomorrow. I have a eddystone also

I need to start restocking projects!

There is a 1903 mark I sporter in the classifieds I would absolutely love! It needs a new stock(of which I have several, like you), but otherwise is gorgeous.
Sadly, it will be a few months before I can really start replenishing my projects for the summer.

Unless someone would buy my FAL in the classifieds. Then all sporters are fair game! :D

Last Edited:
A new project for the summer. An unaltered RE marked P14 Enfield. Needs a new stock and stock metal, but everything else is clean an not messed with. Have to look hard for a full stock. All the stocks on eBay are DP with the extra hole drilled by the lower hand guard. Thinking I might have to find a repro stock...

Pics to come later after I finish grading papers...

A new project for the summer. An unaltered RE marked P14 Enfield. Needs a new stock and stock metal, but everything else is clean an not messed with. Have to look hard for a full stock. All the stocks on eBay are DP with the extra hole drilled by the lower hand guard. Thinking I might have to find a repro stock...

Pics to come later after I finish grading papers...
Cool. Keep us posted.

Thanks very kind of you, MB. That rifle sure has been around. It was civilian proofed for sale to the general public, as you can see from the markings - London Proof House [arm and scimitar]. How did you get on with Lorne, up there in AB?

Seems like a nice gentleman, after I figured out the exchange rate, it was a decent price. I'm leaning that direction at the moment for the stock.

Does the civilian proof mean they surplused it out after the war, similar to what we did with the old DCM (current CMP)?

Very nice. I look forward to seeing updates to this thread almost as much as my 1903 thread. Thanks for sharing and please keep building new toys to share!

Now I need to get started on my m1917 project. Used up the last of my Devcon 10110 on my buddies rifle. I'll also need to glass bed my new stevens 200 22-250 in its new stock. Found that devcon for $40.00/pound on ebay. Pretty good deal for those of you that use it for glass bedding. Keep sharing your projects with us mountainbear and I'll do the same. I think I'm going to open up a new $400.00 rifle scope thread, so I don't dirty up the existing one here... In that thread, I'll show a little of what I do to accurize a rifle... maybe just a little.. Can't be giving away all of my secrets..:D

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top