JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not sure what you mean by big game.... for Deer, and Elk.. the lowest rifle I'd use is a .270 Win.

Here is a guideline that I find helpful: https://www.chuckhawks.com/hunting_rifles_game.htm
If you stick to that cartridge you'll do very well. (It's one of my favorites).

But it's not necessary, and plenty of other cartridges of less power will do the job (and have been doing the job) just fine.

Craig Boddington has written a number of books on ballistics, bullet performance, and "the right gun for the game". I don't have my copy at hand but I recall that he set some personal standards of fpe for deer sized, elk sized, and dangerous (generally African) game. I think that he uses 1,000 fpe as a minimum for deer and higher for elk. You can then use the ballistics table to define maximum range for a particular load and target. He notes these are not absolutes but to him represent performance that results in quick kills on well-placed shots.
Yep, that's what I see mentioned oftentimes and it stirs controversy.
1000 FPE - deer minimum
1500 FPE - elk minimum

Yeah. I heard of a guy using some weirdo cartridge, like a 44 necked down to 357, or something like that.
357 Bain & Davis. you could call most wildcat cartridges weird. if I have never seen it it must be weirdo. wildcatting is the ultimate EGO Trip! i recently read about a .17 caliber on a 44 mag case, called the 17/44 Herret. so if somebody can dream it it can become reality.

357 Bain & Davis. you could call most wildcat cartridges weird. if I have never seen it it must be weirdo. wildcatting is the ultimate EGO Trip! i recently read about a .17 caliber on a 44 mag case, called the 17/44 Herret. so if somebody can dream it it can become reality.
7B5C4F22-5BA3-4305-9D78-AD99411F9B8E.jpeg
A4F6E547-8EB1-42A2-B7DE-C7C49E4FA430.jpeg

If you stick to that cartridge you'll do very well. (It's one of my favorites).

But it's not necessary, and plenty of other cartridges of less power will do the job (and have been doing the job) just fine.
Dad used to knock down seals with his .270 at 300-400 yards, when he was stationed at Tin City.
That was his deer rifle from the mid 50's until the mid 70's, when he got a 94 Winchester.

Last Edited:
I was mistaken. It's still weird, but not he Bain and Davis. It's a 357 necked down to a 25.

Luckily I think most people would know better than to take a .25 auto deer hunting. Also, I can't say a .25 auto with a 4" barrel is common. I have never seen one. Looking at ballistics the .25 auto has about 60-70 fpe at the muzzle , so head shots only! 😎

To further confuse the issue, in firearm restriction areas you can use a revolver or auto type handgun but it must be .40 cal or larger.

IMG_5414.jpeg

Luckily I think most people would know better than to take a .25 auto deer hunting. Also, I can't say a .25 auto with a 4" barrel is common. I have never seen one. Looking at ballistics the .25 auto has about 60-70 fpe at the muzzle , so head shots only! 😎
Holy moly 60-70 fpe. That is ridiculously low. Cci velocitor 22lr out of 16" barrel is 183 fpe.

.25 acp is just pitiful and weak.

9D643FA5-C0CC-4580-BF74-DE0228DF4272.jpeg

Last Edited:
I thought my ears were burnin', @orygun, but I didn't wanna step in any Bain and Davis business you mighta known about.

And, thanks to @bcp for filling in in my absence on the .256.

However, as a dedicated quarter-bore enthusiast, a new challenge presents itself on the horizon! I'll start a thread asking opinions as to the best platform bolt action rifle and optics suggestion for a .25 Auto.

...and how much is a Non-Resident Deer Tag in Washington? :cool:

However, as a dedicated quarter-bore enthusiast, a new challenge presents itself on the horizon! I'll start a thread asking opinions as to the best platform bolt action rifle and optics suggestion for a .25 Auto.

...and how much is a Non-Resident Deer Tag in Washington? :cool:
Remington 580 family is often converted to centerfire. I saw one converted to 221 Rem. They're strong rimfire rifles.

Plans available from:
http://www.jamescalhoon.com/pricelist.php

Bruce

Last Edited:
Remington 580 family is often converted to centerfire. I saw one converted to 221 Rem. They're strong rimfire rifles.

Bruce
Yep! I've seen a couple of those conversions. I'm starting to become really uncomfortable giving this idea much more traction. Things could get outta hand real quick. :cool:

Since the current rage is to "re-invent" cartridges simply by loading long-for-diameter bullets, and barreling with twists to match, I hereby present to you:

The .251 Washington.

Here outfitted with a Hornady 110grain ELDX.

And certainly (as goes the current parlance), I have "Selected My Bullet to Slip the Wind", and most assuredly will be "Dialing For Distance".

1709920175190.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads