JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well all kidding aside, I view it as productive to push the envelope a bit as long as it is done in a responsible way. What would we learn if everybody took it as the gospel that the acceptable minimum for harvesting deer was a 270win?

Luckily I think most people would know better than to take a .25 auto deer hunting. Also, I can't say a .25 auto with a 4" barrel is common. I have never seen one. Looking at ballistics the .25 auto has about 60-70 fpe at the muzzle , so head shots only! 😎
My goodness! I think I would rather take a chance on a close range head shot with my .22LR Ruger pistol than my 25 with it's barely 2" tube.
That's the 256 Winchester.

View attachment 1838821

"The .256 Winchester Magnum is a firearms cartridge developed by Winchester, and was produced by necking-down a .357 Magnum cartridge to .257 diameter."

Bruce
That is it. As you saw, I was lightly poking at a friend here.
I thought my ears were burnin', @orygun, but I didn't wanna step in any Bain and Davis business you mighta known about.

And, thanks to @bcp for filling in in my absence on the .256.

However, as a dedicated quarter-bore enthusiast, a new challenge presents itself on the horizon! I'll start a thread asking opinions as to the best platform bolt action rifle and optics suggestion for a .25 Auto.

...and how much is a Non-Resident Deer Tag in Washington? :cool:
I wonder if there is enough powder capacity in a 25 ACP case to get that bullet out of a barrel?

Well I can tell you what 350 fpe will get you: An open beer can! I own some undeveloped property that occasionally gets mistaken for a dump. Several years ago a mound of stuff appeared and under the garbage, lawnchairs and clothes was two beat to hell ss beer kegs. I picked up all of it except the two beer kegs, one which was half full. I just rolled them behind a clump of trees and forgot about them. Well I was up there yesterday and ran across the ss kegs. I decided to bring them to recycling but needed to depressurize/empty them. I had no tap but I did have my .457 bulldog. I tipped them on end with the top facing me. I got behind a tree 15' away and sent a 300 grain hardcast, aiming just below the bung. It easily perforated the ss keg and put a decent dent on the bottom side as well. It was not pressurized. The next one half full, I figured might have pressure and the bullet might not penetrate. It actually penetrated nicely sending a geyser of foamy beer right at me. I tipped them up to finish drain them and off to the recycler they went!

Oh, I almost forgot, here is a pic of the 300 gr hardcast slug from the first keg. It mushroomed nicely on the ss. I gave up trying to get the bullet out of the other keg as the first one was a biotch.

IMG_5416.jpeg

Last Edited:
My whole impetus for this discussion is to demonstrate there are many ways a bullet can be effective and lethal within it's design limitations and we should all be a bit more opened minded of the possibilities.
Any front bumper will bring an animal down in its tracks. The hassle is waiting on the shoulder with binoculars.

i think the slaughter house used to kill cattle with a sledge hammer. whack the cow between the eyes,,,,,lights out! then open the juggler vein to let them bleed out. or the more modern tool, the air hammer, as in the movie NO country for old men.

Early field reports are coming in for the spectacular new cartridge, the .251 Washington.

As most big-game hunters are aware, bullet impact on game can often be heard by the shooter, and is frequently described as a resounding, "WHOP!"

This thinking has been revolutionized by the devotees of the.251 Washington, as what most often heard is "OW!"

Luckily I think most people would know better than to take a .25 auto deer hunting. Also, I can't say a .25 auto with a 4" barrel is common. I have never seen one. Looking at ballistics the .25 auto has about 60-70 fpe at the muzzle , so head shots only! 😎
I think some '03 Colts were chambered in .25 auto.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top