JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
@1775usmc ; two things could have happened way earlier.

Congress could have amended NFA and GCA and added the definition for AR15 receivers as "all AR15 type receivers regardless of intent, are rifle receivers"; or some such,

SCOTUS in Thompson, Center Arms case, could have struck down the SBR portion of NFA at that time by saying that since it is legal to convert a "pistol" into a "rifle"; therefore all combinations converting a pistol into rifle or vice versa, is 2A protected and should not be part of NFA.

Neither of these happened and we are here with what you call goofy looking abominations.
It is what it is. You're not changing it now.

My opinion stands. Would I love to have SBRs without having to have to go through the NFA process? Absolutely! But PERSONALLY I would rather pay the tax stamp and have a legit SBR than throw a goofy gimmick on it.

Again do what you want.

t13ivhnr4tzb1.jpg

According to some if you're not then you're "just a lazy kid."
Hey, I resemble that remark!

But seriously, run a three point if you are willing to put the effort into dialing it in. It takes an hour or two per sling. If you are not willing to put the effort in just run a 2 point. 90% as effective for 0% the effort. Only you can decide if the extra 10% is worth it to you.

Only run a 1 point if your idea of "strenuous activity" is walking out to the mailbox. Anything more active and a 1 point turns your gun into a flail and you will be beat to death with it. You still need hands on the gun to control it, so all the one point does is take off a tiny bit of weight.

Hey, I resemble that remark!

But seriously, run a three point if you are willing to put the effort into dialing it in. It takes an hour or two per sling. If you are not willing to put the effort in just run a 2 point. 90% as effective for 0% the effort. Only you can decide if the extra 10% is worth it to you.

Only run a 1 point if your idea of "strenuous activity" is walking out to the mailbox. Anything more active and a 1 point turns your gun into a flail and you will be beat to death with it. You still need hands on the gun to control it, so all the one point does is take off a tiny bit of weight.
3 points are trash. I used them in the Marines. I'll never use one again.

3 points are trash. I used them in the Marines. I'll never use one again.
Opinions vary. There are people out there who can use them more effectively than a 2 point. But it takes work to get them to that point, and there is not a lot of margin between "maximally effective" and "significantly worse than alternatives". If you put in the effort you can make them better than 2 points. If you are not willing to put in the effort a 2 point will be far better.

0 aka zero.

I think braces are dumb…. But that's just me.
When you try to use them as a stock yes. Although some of the braces were definitely pushing into stock territory. I wondered how long it would take before they came after them.

Only thing I didn't like about SBR law was having to ask permission to move around with it...but...apparently it's once a year. Guess I'll have to live with it.

When you try to use them as a stock yes. Although some of the braces were definitely pushing into stock territory. I wondered how long it would take before they came after them.

Only thing I didn't like about SBR law was having to ask permission to move around with it...but...apparently it's once a year. Guess I'll have to live with it.
How else is the AVERAGE American using a brace?

I tried a few braces. Because like everyone else I wanted a SBR without having to go the Form 1/NFA route. Every style I tried was a knock off stock version. They were soft, would fold up depending on shooting position position, and simply (IN MY OPINION) looked goofy.

Once I realized how easy the Form 1 process was I will never go back. The only benefit to the brace/pistol is crossing state lines. Well, I live in Oregon. Cali is a no-go and so is Washington now….

I'm no operator. I don't roll around in the city with a "truck gun." If I'm traveling I'm content with my daily carry as self defense. No worries on my end. Yea, yea…. A pistol is there to fight your way to a rifle. I got it.

I went Form 1 because a SBR is much more pleasant to shoot and shoulder than a brace. That's it. I enjoy it much more with a stock (a bit like shooting suppressed vs unsuppressed). And if I get to the point where I am forced to travel with a weapon in a SHTF scenario, the NFA is going to be the last of my concerns.

Again. Before everyone starts throwing stones, calling me arrogant, etc. these are the reason I (key word I) went with a SBR over brace. I tried the brace. Wasn't a fan. So I went with a Form 1.

If people like braces more power to them.

Some people think Glocks are ugly and hate the way they feel. I love the way Glocks look and handle. We all have opinions/preferences.

Last Edited:
Opinions vary. There are people out there who can use them more effectively than a 2 point. But it takes work to get them to that point, and there is not a lot of margin between "maximally effective" and "significantly worse than alternatives". If you put in the effort you can make them better than 2 points. If you are not willing to put in the effort a 2 point will be far better.
And my opinion is they serve no purpose. They have no advantage over a 2-point to me. If you love them…. Cool. More power to you.

I've spent the time setting them up and I've spent enough time carrying a M16 with one to know, that I 100 percent prefer a 2 point.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top