JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
A few years ago I acquired an M1917 sportized and re-chambered to .300 Win Mag topped with a Balfour 8x.
MOA when I first shot with it.
Now my go to hunting weapon.

Awesome man. I used to have one chambered in 300WBY magnum and it was one of the sweetest shooting old rifles I've ever had. Your 300WM sounds like a great rifle. Post some pics if you don't mind. I always enjoy looking at these old girls...

A company by the name of A-Square use to use the 1917 as the basis for some of thier largest cartridge rifles Bigger cartridges than I ever want to shoot. The 1917 has some strength.

IMG_0007.JPG 51096671017__C579319C-AE0F-491E-B5DA-149421D5889A.JPG I am a fan.

I even faked a "Carbine"

I recently acquired this tastefully done vintage beauty, there are no holes drilled for scope which makes this a truly vintage look reminiscent of Safari rifles of the twenties. Stock is marked "SUPERIOR" on the interior.

20171118_204809.jpg 20171118_204829.jpg

The first deer rifle was a 1917. Heavy as a rock, but deadly accurate!
I've always liked dog leg bolt handles! Some nice rifles on this thread!

I take issue with the current neurotic attitude about most ex-Military rifles. There are some exceptions for documented historic pieces but in general they are the most common, highly produced rifles on the planet. Many (probably most) P17 rifles rode out the war in some stateside armory, they are wonderful rifles built in incredibly huge numbers. Mine came when one of my Greandathers sent 16.00 to the DCM from Grangeville Idaho, including an agreement to return it to government service if ever needed. The rifle was new unissued in the early 50's (all were WW1 production) the P17 is the precursor to the Remington 30, 721 and 700, is a fine rifle but to me being built in such huge numbers flies in the face of it being a priceless collectible. Off course my grandfather's is a priceless collectible to me. My 458 Winchester Manlicher carbine is made on a P14, the British version originally made in the rimmed 303 British caliber making the boltface perfect for large magnum cases. The actions are the strongest commonly encountered anywhere. Add a cock on opening kit, a good aftermarket trigger and you have a gem. The goofy collectors prefer a pristine armory queen to one that actually saw use in the field as well. Proving the fallacy of there opinions on value.

Last Edited:
No neurosis on my part, I just don't like the idea. I inherited a 1917 Enfield made at the Eddystone Arsenal but it just gave me a bad feeling. I sold it.

No disrespect intended, I just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

P

No neurosis on my part, I just don't like the idea. I inherited a 1917 Enfield made at the Eddystone Arsenal but it just gave me a bad feeling. I sold it.

No disrespect intended, I just wondered if anyone else felt the same.

P
So, you were worried that it might have killed someone? Guns are only a tool, it is the finger behind the trigger that makes it good or evil.

I don't think of inanimate objects as good or evil. That's weird. I just don't like the idea of shooting a rifle that might have been used to end a human life. I'm not criticizing, I'm just wondering if anyone else feels the same.

I really enjoy shooting my rifles. I wouldn't like thinking about the sight picture if I knew the rifle had seen combat.

If I start talking to my rifles and calling them "my precious" then I'll see a shrink.

P

Does it bother anyone that you might be carrying a rifle that ended the life of some poor scared kid on the other side of the line?

P
Short answer: No.

Many of the US rifles that are out there have been overhauled to the point of not being the same rifle that saw action...Also many rifles might not have seen any action or just 'cause it was in a combat theater , it still might have never fired a shot in anger...so to speak.

Maybe instead of thinking : "Did this rifle kill someone"....Think: "Did this rifle save a soldiers life?"

In addition to the many M1 rifles , Carbines , Springfield's and Enfield's not to neglect to mention the various 98's and 98K's I have owned...I have over 30 odd antique muzzleloaders...If I got rid of the guns that I thought might have been used to kill someone...I wouldn't own hardly any guns...

I like history and some guns have more history than others....I look at it this way:
If a rifle was used in a War...even if it was used to kill someone...that's just its history...I have it now and am caring for it...Soon I will just be part of its history.

To be even more blunt...I have four combat tours...I'd hate to think that someone would want get rid of me 'cause they thought I might have ended a opposing soldiers life....
Andy

Edit to add..
I am not trying to sound like a "male appendage" or snarky...that was not my intent.

No disrespect Pharm. If the rifle just didn't feel right to you, then there's no since in you having it. I get just the opposite feeling when I pack my m1917 in the field. Probably one of the reasons the rest of my rifles stay at home during hunting season...
RiXjYD0.jpg

It's a valid point, but no, it doesn't bother me. Honestly, to the extent to which my safes are filled with milsurp rifles, I would be quite surprised if some weren't used to shoot and possibly kill someone.
At this point, it is just a tool. It's an item that I can appreciate for its inherent beauty and ruggedness. It's a tool that I enjoy shooting even though I have no desire to ever point it at anything but a paper target or a piece of steel some distance away.

Your feelings aren't unreasonable. If it bothers you, then you shouldn't own milsurp guns. They beauty of this gun collecting thing is that there is room to have a wonderful and extensive collection of one sort or another while completely avoiding types of guns. For instance, I have a decent collection of rifles, but only have one AR and it's usually for sale. They just aren't my cup of tea usually. But I have other friends who have a dozen AR's and love them dearly.

Enjoy what you love and remember when it comes down to politics, we should all be on the same side. Just because AR's aren't my cup of tea doesn't mean I can support regulations on them. If we want to win this fight over gun control we either unite or wither away as fractured small groups...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top