JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since the day I got my CHL, I have carried a firearm every time having left the house. Doesn't matter if it is "just a quick trip for some coffee and cream", handgun always. A couple of times I have lost my wallet somewhere within the house, and refused to go out to get groceries because carrying without the CHL is illegal. Just sent my wife out instead (who also carries!) :D

ALWAYS HAVE YOUR CHL AND GUN. NEVER LEAVE WITHOUT IT. THE TIME YOU DON'T HAVE IT IS WHEN YOU'LL NEED IT MOST.

Why are shoulder holsters considered a "niche" solution? Too much money, uncomfortable, ?

Mostly the uncomfortable one for me; I have one for each of my Glock 21 and Colt 1911 5" pistols but wear them only when closer-fitting clothes such as a suit jacket are necessary. After about 4 hours that 2.4 pounds gets tiresome on the shoulder. They are Galco "Miami Classics" and are great rigs which last forever.

It's not hard for an unzipped sweatshirt or summer jacket to fall open and show off the butt of the weapon, either. So that's a hassle, too.

Also with belt carry, you can take your coat off when driving, and it's not apparent from outside the car that you're armed. I don't like advertising that I'm carrying unless on an openly armed uniform detail.

I used to carry almost all the time but it was not 100%. With the increased threats lately I've purchased a stainless pistol and a kydex holster to carry while I'm in the shower. Now I say I carry 100% of the time.

I just bought a Ruger LC9 in the hope that I'd be more consistent about CC. My full size 1911 was too easy to leave at home due to weight and difficulty keeping concealed. I'm hoping the LC9 will be an encouragement to get in the habit of carrying 100% of the time. I'm definitely on the alert more now, and when the alarm goes off in my head I really want to have a CCW there EVERY time.

I guess I am lucky. I started carrying at work 8 years ago and when the boss found out I told him I had been carrying for 2 years and he didn't say a word just walked away. I am sure he has likely forgotten about it, he forgets much more important things than that. The rest of the people at work will sometimes make a joke about how I am the armed guard, but most of the time I think they forget too. Only one time in 8 years I forgot my weapon and I went home at lunch and got it.

Carry all of the time - but just recently added a waterproof ammo can to the bathroom and put a loaded pistol and extra mag in it as well as a 4" knife.

Only place in the house where a gun wasn't within arms reach at all times and I hadn't put one in there until I looked at an empty ammo can and thought "well, hell, if it will keep ammo dry it will keep a gun dry". I'm a genius sometimes.

Carry all of the time - but just recently added a waterproof ammo can to the bathroom and put a loaded pistol and extra mag in it as well as a 4" knife.

Only place in the house where a gun wasn't within arms reach at all times and I hadn't put one in there until I looked at an empty ammo can and thought "well, hell, if it will keep ammo dry it will keep a gun dry". I'm a genius sometimes.
They'll likely fall over laughing before you shoot them...aim low:D

They'll likely fall over laughing before you shoot them...aim low:D

Well this thread got me thinking and it occurred to me while sitting on my thinking chair that I was probably the most vurnerable in that room with my pants down lol.

It seems to be taking Preparedness just a bit far but the pistol I put in there was just sitting empty in the safe anyway so I figured wth:rolleyes:.

Lord knows i don't want to be featured in a news paper with a title like - half naked man on throne shoots intruder...:oops:

Boy,I'd rather be in the shower and need to defend myself than on the pot.
I would have to ask the guy 'how indecent it is to do this while a guys on the pot? I mean come on,can you come back when I'm done?'
Hey leave the fan off and he won't be bothering you.
But seriously,when that needs to be done,sometimes we loose capacity to think. Maybe we leave our gun somewhere else.It would be a good idea to have a spare in the John

I carry the same ,
Everyday all the time everywhere and when home Statistically speaking you are more likely to encounter of jack azz when home then when out in public.

I used to only carry when I went some place I thought would be dangerous, my wife would give me crap otherwise.
But after Newtown, and the Clackamas town center shooting (our daughter was born just before those two) and the horrific acts of violence since. She doesn't say a word.
And since our daughter came I carry everywhere. I always have a gun in the car, and always carry when I leave the house.
Even if I'm getting my hair cut, or running for a gallon of milk. Doesn't matter evil is everywhere.

I wouldnt say more as its 100% of the time. I would say that my old days of alert status stay very high when I am away from home. Funny how you never forget good instincts. But I have stepped up security as well I prefer to catch someone before they get in as far as out and about anything within a 20ft-30ft is now on my minds scope. I hate how thing are getting, I had a guy
rush up to me in a parking lot during the day on my blind and caught myself healing the firearm,
it was a guy asking for change but he didnt get within 15feet. Sometimes it would be nice just for a few hours to live like sheep do being on alert allot wears on ya but I also know there is no do overs.

DH out.

Carry 100% of the time, no qualms about that. I used to get the occasional "why?", from the wife, but even that has stopped.

Totally agree with the heightened alert... It's been high for so long now. The Mrs says relax, and I explain how this is my relaxed mode. And your right, it does create a consistent very low level stress...

As for availability, the only time
It's not on my side is in the shower or when i sleep (yes it's under the pillow then)

I feel ya on that. I find myself reading too much news and thinking the world is all crap.
Thank God for my daughter (3) who is a constant reminder of how beautiful the world still is, and can be.

And I'm actually at the Hospital right now waiting on my baby boy! Wish me luck!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top