JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh come on now, :D you wouldn't quote him and talk about him if he wasn't someone who would be your buddy.

I was just using common sense about his bet, if you just think about it some. I laugh because time and again in my life people have said "I have never seen", the comeback is "you need to get out more".

In my past I have seen people in all walks of life try to use power words to make what they say seem more important.

Like one day I was in a meeting with the Blawknox rep asking all us operators what could be done to improve their machines. I said a bigger fuel tank would help and he replied nobody can run a Blawknox out of fuel in a days work.

He was full of horse pucky and we all laughed at him.

Just having fun friend, I really don't care as people will do as they will but it is funny how they justify their thoughts.
I quoted him because of the interesting bet he's had on the table for many years.

With the way society is going, me thinks he'll be paying on the bet soonly.

I've been fortunate to be able to interview LE and some civilians with their attorney present, about their shooting. Not interested in the actual shooting as much as I'm interested in why they did what they did, and what led to it , their training they've had compared to what we're seeing etc. Sitting with them going over dash cam, surveillance video, and before video, reports and diagrams of the scene etc., moment by moment getting into their head. I wish more trainers would do such a thing, it would really change the way instruction/teaching is presented.

There are some things taught that the brain will override in such situations, unless it is drilled continuously...and let's face it, most people don't get to that point to override the brains natural tendency to protect the body a certain way.
Such as...the brain will not allow the body to experience impact as a surprise...unless you're blind sided. If you see it coming, the brain will act to protect the body...which is why we have pre-ignition movement...better known as a flinch. The brain acts the same way as an incoming impact, yet it's different, thus can be trained out of most people...but it takes time.

My dad had Parkinsons some years ago, and while taking him to his appointments at OHSU, leaned a lot about the neurology side of things...not an expert, but have applied many things in my teaching.

No, have not seen everything...but am out a lot, especially when it comes to shootings.

Another thing I don't see...when drawing a pistol, just about everyone puts their opposite hand on or around the chest area to keep it from getting lasered on the draw...yet we just don't see that happening in shootings...why not? A lot of people get trained from the start to do that. Just interesting stuff...

Bottom line with me...understand WHY you take every action; only by knowing WHY are you able to then simplify, streamline, or replace methods. One needs to drill to the point to stay focused on the threat without being distracted by the platform in your hands.

To the OP, my apologies for taking your thread off topic.

I shall extract myself from the thread...be kind to everyone, unknown the battle(s) they may be fighting within.

I quoted him because of the interesting bet he's had on the table for many years.

With the way society is going, me thinks he'll be paying on the bet soonly.

I've been fortunate to be able to interview LE and some civilians with their attorney present, about their shooting. Not interested in the actual shooting as much as I'm interested in why they did what they did, and what led to it , their training they've had compared to what we're seeing etc. Sitting with them going over dash cam, surveillance video, and before video, reports and diagrams of the scene etc., moment by moment getting into their head. I wish more trainers would do such a thing, it would really change the way instruction/teaching is presented.

There are some things taught that the brain will override in such situations, unless it is drilled continuously...and let's face it, most people don't get to that point to override the brains natural tendency to protect the body a certain way.
Such as...the brain will not allow the body to experience impact as a surprise...unless you're blind sided. If you see it coming, the brain will act to protect the body...which is why we have pre-ignition movement...better known as a flinch. The brain acts the same way as an incoming impact, yet it's different, thus can be trained out of most people...but it takes time.

My dad had Parkinsons some years ago, and while taking him to his appointments at OHSU, leaned a lot about the neurology side of things...not an expert, but have applied many things in my teaching.

No, have not seen everything...but am out a lot, especially when it comes to shootings.

Another thing I don't see...when drawing a pistol, just about everyone puts their opposite hand on or around the chest area to keep it from getting lasered on the draw...yet we just don't see that happening in shootings...why not? A lot of people get trained from the start to do that. Just interesting stuff...

Bottom line with me...understand WHY you take every action; only by knowing WHY are you able to then simplify, streamline, or replace methods. One needs to drill to the point to stay focused on the threat without being distracted by the platform in your hands.

To the OP, my apologies for taking your thread off topic.

I shall extract myself from the thread...be kind to everyone, unknown the battle(s) they may be fighting within.
I have followed just about every aspect of shooting since a very young age. That's a lot of attention to detail way before I got my ccw at 21 years of age and at 71 that's 50 years of carry. In those 50 years I kept the study up and still study today. No I am not an expert, I study for self survival.

In my lifetime I look and learn with one question in my mind, "what is different?" A person can't see differences unless they know what they are looking for. If they don't know the difference in a Weaver stance or an Isosceles then they can't compare the differences in the outcome.

I have never taken training but I look at the outcome of the different methods. As a RO at the gun club for decades I got to compare the difference in training by watching shooters. Watched many cops and trained guards, also guys that came back from the gun schools. Got to watch first hand how the training played out under just game pressure.

Biggest change over the years is high cap guns, it's my opinion that accuracy isn't held as high as it used to be with 6 or 8 shot guns. Shooting videos in real life encounters show about every gunfight a hail of bullets. Not saying it's right or wrong but just an observation.

I will stop there as I am getting boring. :D

I have followed just about every aspect of shooting since a very young age. That's a lot of attention to detail way before I got my ccw at 21 years of age and at 71 that's 50 years of carry. In those 50 years I kept the study up and still study today. No I am not an expert, I study for self survival.

In my lifetime I look and learn with one question in my mind, "what is different?" A person can't see differences unless they know what they are looking for. If they don't know the difference in a Weaver stance or an Isosceles then they can't compare the differences in the outcome.

I have never taken training but I look at the outcome of the different methods. As a RO at the gun club for decades I got to compare the difference in training by watching shooters. Watched many cops and trained guards, also guys that came back from the gun schools. Got to watch first hand how the training played out under just game pressure.

Biggest change over the years is high cap guns, it's my opinion that accuracy isn't held as high as it used to be with 6 or 8 shot guns. Shooting videos in real life encounters show about every gunfight a hail of bullets. Not saying it's right or wrong but just an observation.

I will stop there as I am getting boring. :D
Boring..no, not at all. Thank you for your input...everyone has a life story, love to hear them.

But me thinks we need to hang up our keyboards before someone comes along and claims we're barking at the moon.

Be well

Boring..no, not at all. Thank you for your input...everyone has a life story, love to hear them.

But me thinks we need to hang up our keyboards before someone comes along and claims we're barking at the moon.

Be well
It's actually on topic, if you look back the drill was brought to the trainers as something that worked. Guys just don't know how we got there so a little history doesn't hurt and besides old guys love to bs.

Oh Burn Ozzy Osbourne GIF by Sky HISTORY UK

Wait did someone say "Bark at the moon" ...? :D
Andy

I remember when Jeff Cooper was first acclaimed the school of modern pistol craft and he built a training facility in Paulden Arizona.

A lot of history got him accepted as the best school in his day and was the foundation for all the other schools.

His biggest selling point was his system worked and he had feedback to prove it.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top