JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I carry a Kahr CM-40 in a pocket holster with 2 extra mags, every day, every where. It works well for my office, since my co worker is flaming commie hoplophobe. If he only knew. I don't anticipate changing my carry.

I like others have always concealed carry. But, like others I have gone from carrying a compact weapon to a full size weapon for the additional firepower, accuracy and I just plain ole shoot the thing better having fired it A LOT more when I was paid to do so.

I think I'm concluding that I'll carry concealed and not mention it to my wife. She's not anti-gun but was surprised I carried to church yesterday. Its not that " its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." I consider it important and she doesn't need to know in my case.
So right now the biggest deal, besides getting more practice and perhaps paying for some training, is a better carry method than my coat pocket or the bulky plastic "holster" that came with my 9mm XD ( 5 inch ). Not planning on getting a smaller weapon ( yet ).
I've looked at shoulder holsters and the "belly band" stuff some.
View attachment 266920

If you haven't thought about IWB, then that should also be in the mix for types of carry. I've 3 different size Alien Gear Holsters so that I can use either my 1911, G19 and Sig P238 without having to take apart and reassemble the holster. I feel weird without having my weapon at my back.

IMO Raven Concealment Phantom is the best OWB Kydex holster made. Not only are the holster shells great, the belt loops are designed to suck it tight to the body.

Dear God why? They are worst holster in the history of holsters.

I respect your opinion, it is what it is.
I know how to keep my boogerhook off the trigger when extracting the gun. I read many reviews of police & military who have had many ND's, after I bought it. I have no earthly idea how they could have so many NG's. and I've had mine for over 4 years and draw quite regularly without a problem.
It works for me.....:cool:

Ura-Ki has a good point about the trunk rifle. I just read an article in Breach-Bang-Clear about that and will be looking into implementation. I like how they had the carbine connected to the top of the trunk.

I've been carrying one extra mag with me every day, but will start adding more in my bag. So, current config is P238 with an extra mag, two knives and 4Sevens Preon on my body. My multi-tool is in my bag.

Has anyone taken up a shooting sport to hone their skills, due to the reasons in the OP?

Haven't seen a response to your ? So far Ric, alot here have A military and a few have LE background .

I agree wit you though, I started back in 89 to enhance my skills when I 1st applied with sparks PD.

And it was different but fun and got hooked on the sports.
Saw a lot of cops that got their egos popped, a lot didn't come back

Some like me continued a shoot against my self and score's climbed and YES it did help with my QUALIFICATIONS . I continued a to compete and we put on the SNPL western states IPSC championship for years, got to RO Konig and Leatham and others in the super squad.

One thing it doesnt teach you is MINDSET ..... learned that during academy . And yes , NOBODY IS GOING TO KEEP ME FROM GOING HOME ANY DAY TO MY FAMILY.

But the sport did teach me to draw and shoot 18rds 2 reloads, free style , strong hand , weak hand in the 4 seconds and change range . LMAO .

Gun sales being broken I just hope the people are joining OFF or the NRA to help fend off the Gun grabers in the same numbers .

Be safe.

I encourage everyone to carry everyday (and get your training from me as well).

The reason is that no madman should have the ability to have absolute power over whether you live or die. Gunfights (or any fight) is a "come as you are" event, and if the person who has decided you are the name of their pain that day makes their move, you should be able to counter it with firearms. Not just because you have the right to; but because you have them close at hand.

Self defense is a right given by God; and it cannot be taken by any law of man.

My best advice concerning training is.

Train in multiple classes and with multiple trainers. And then make it your own.

Like In the tool and die trade, learn from Hans, Svend, and Mike . Then roll your , LOL

If I was out of my general area more often, then I would consider a trunk gun.

As it is, I bring whatever long gun seems appropriate for the trip - from a .308 or shotgun down to a .22wmr and toss it in the trunk with my bag'o goodies for emergencies.

I see there are differences in competition and training.

Somethings you just can't do on a range with a group of people.

However, for most of us, going to a class where they can draw a pint of blood and inject some adrenaline to induce stress is not just practical.

I use competition to help hone my skills - sight alignment, trigger press, - and do do so under stress - the buzzer.
I shoot IDPA so that involves drawing a pistol, with a cover garment and from simulated situations - like inside a car, or at a table in a restaurant.

I have not yet been able to fund a week at some tactical training center - like Thunder Ranch in South Central Oregon (Lakeview)

I did take a couple of few hour long courses, one when I decided to get my UT permit.

Can you rack the slide if your strong hand is out of the action? What other drills do you need to practice - and to be coached thru?

Both competition and tactical training have their place.

Because not all clubs belong to the national organizations, when you are looking for something close to you, expand your search terms - Practical Pistol - for example. Some others:
Action Shooting International, USPSA, IDPA, 3-Gun, NRA
NSSF http://www.nssf.org/shooting/sports/

Caveman Jim, on the Serpa Blackhawk holster. Lots of good reviews. Why are shoulder holsters considered a "niche" solution? Too much money, uncomfortable, ?

What I've been doing when taking walks in the woods here is just leave the belt on my jeans alone, put the pistol belt several inches higher, with the pistol and holster on that. Then any shirt or hoodie will cover the holster. I know there will be objections to that -- harder to get at the weapon would probably be at the top of the list?

This holster at Amazon does show available in right-hand for Springfield XD, which should include my 5 inch.

SerpaBlackhawk.jpg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top