JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm carrying more. I'm a teacher, so I can't carry at work, or even have it in the vehicle on campus, so any errands after work, my only protection is pepper spray and a foldable knife. But any other time, I'm usually carrying.

This morning I wore my big Carhart coat with the 9mm in one pocket,zipped, and an extra 15-round mag in the other pocket.

Went to church, Lowe's and the grocery store. The advantage is I could take the coat off without exposing it. Downside if you put the coat down is obvious.

I have a shoulder "tactical" bag of sorts that I use when its too warm to cover the gun up. The only holster so far is the one the XD came with http://store.springfield-armory.com/Shop/pc/XD-BELT-HOLSTER-ALL-CALIBERS-AND-ALL-LENGTHS-42p85.htm

I use that with a belt I bought which works for wearing under lighter jackets/shirts. Uncle Mikes - 8767-1 Reinforced Instructor's Belt (Black Webbing)

" I don't carry at work" First question that comes to mind is whether the employer or local police have assigned an officer to follow you everywhere and protect you at all times. Also, is everyone who enters the building run through a metal detector with armed guard viewing the inspection with weapon drawn?

If not, neither your employer nor law enforcement has the right to prohibit concealed carry on their premises. Even before I got my concealed carry permit, I carried concealed based on that same logic.

Basically, if the employer, store, theater owner, grocery owner, etc isn't assigning each employee or customer a personal armed guard, then I'm being asked to enter a potential war zone but not armed or getting combat pay. I might consider doing this if the pay was high enough :)

I'm carrying more. I'm a teacher, so I can't carry at work, or even have it in the vehicle on campus, so any errands after work, my only protection is pepper spray and a foldable knife. But any other time, I'm usually carrying.

That's sad, my son I teaching in Idaho I need to ask him about that. He is at a Private school, so maybe he can.

My buddy In cold springs is Appling next week for his permit.

Love that town, I was a reserve deputy with WCSO, turned in may badge and moved to oregon but will be back for street vibrations 2016.

Watch you six, and be safe!

" I don't carry at work" First question that comes to mind is whether the employer or local police have assigned an officer to follow you everywhere and protect you at all times. Also, is everyone who enters the building run through a metal detector with armed guard viewing the inspection with weapon drawn?

If not, neither your employer nor law enforcement has the right to prohibit concealed carry on their premises. Even before I got my concealed carry permit, I carried concealed based on that same logic.

Concealed is outta sight outta mind..... no matter what the Employee handbook says. Right

I've had more family and friends call me regarding CC in the past month than at any other point in the past 13 years.

In addition to that, a light, two knives and a multitool for EDC.

I also carry two knives. A decent 3 inch clip on in the left pocket with the seat belt cutter and glass breaker point. Another one clipped inside my pants right by the zipper. Old cop friend taught me that one, if you were down on the ground for some reason you could always go for that one and come up slashing. He carried 3 guns, his duty rig, a subcompact in an ankle holster, and a light frame 9mm under his shirt in a tee shirt holster under his arm pit.

I also carry an LED flashlight on a belt clip, it has the three stage lights with one being the strobe setting which I leave it set so it is the first click that comes on. Great to use day or night for distraction while you make a quick assessment.

Been carrying for almost 5 years and I cannot leave the house without it. The first year I often felt uncomfortable, but now I feel weird without it. It is just a matter now of which gun and which holster and I have changed both dozens of times in 5 years.

I think I'm concluding that I'll carry concealed and not mention it to my wife. She's not anti-gun but was surprised I carried to church yesterday. Its not that " its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." I consider it important and she doesn't need to know in my case.
So right now the biggest deal, besides getting more practice and perhaps paying for some training, is a better carry method than my coat pocket or the bulky plastic "holster" that came with my 9mm XD ( 5 inch ). Not planning on getting a smaller weapon ( yet ).
I've looked at shoulder holsters and the "belly band" stuff some.
XD9621HCSP06_1200x782.png

If I'm out of the house, I'm carrying. The ONLY exception are places where it is forbidden by law, such as the airport, on a flight, in a courthouse. Otherwise, concealed is concealed, regardless of the 'suggestion' that I go unarmed in a particular business so they can feel better about themselves while leaving me and those around me completely unprotected.

What has changed recently? Carrying extra mags. Considering carrying a BUG. And my wife, who got her CHL 20 or so years ago, but let it lapse, is now wanting to renew it, go to the range, and start learning how to manage a CC weapon. She's been content to leave that duty to me for years, but realizes I'm not with her or our daughter much of the day. I'll be working with her on that for the foreseeable future.

And, like @Joe Link, I'm seeing and hearing more people talking about and considering concealed carry than I have since the Clinton administration. Are we finally seeing a fundamental shift in America, back in the right direction? Will it take more terrorist attacks to really get their attention?

I can only hope that the majority will realize now that it is their personal responsibility to provide for the safety and protection of themselves and their families - you simply cannot rely on anyone else - not the LE's, not the military, not the POS POTUS and certainly not the government in general (SCOTUS included).

Love your post buddy, as competition shooters we have a bit of an edge, my gal gets it.

Her background gives me piece of mind and she can cover my back anytime and she has , during a attemped mugging of us in portland.

Her tactics made me proud that night, the money spend on training and time with Seattle firearm's Gila Hayes was well worth it.

I hope others take the time with their other half's to train, as when SHTF that's it the time to have a MELT DOWN.

YOU FIGHT AS YOU TRAIN never forget this.
Really hadn't thought of a couple as a team, but it's a really good idea. Situational awareness and a rough plan, or at least discussion of scenarios would go a long way toward giving you a fighting chance to stay alive.

I think I'm concluding that I'll carry concealed and not mention it to my wife. She's not anti-gun but was surprised I carried to church yesterday. Its not that " its easier to ask for forgiveness than permission." I consider it important and she doesn't need to know in my case.
So right now the biggest deal, besides getting more practice and perhaps paying for some training, is a better carry method than my coat pocket or the bulky plastic "holster" that came with my 9mm XD ( 5 inch ). Not planning on getting a smaller weapon ( yet ).
View attachment 266920

Getting a decent holster will dramatically improve your ability, comfort and control for CC. There are plenty of good options under $100 that will work. If you're not comfortable carrying in your holster/pocket, you're more likely to leave it at home. A good holster will protect your trigger, hold the gun firmly in place and make it easy to access and draw when needed. Get it and practice drawing/reholstering over and over (with an unloaded gun please). And, if you can afford it, get thee to a good defensive shooting course - it will make a difference.

As for your wife, she may come around some day. Be patient with her. I've seen anti-gun spouses initially freaked by a new CC weapon on their significant other, come to understand the need and to lose the fear, once they realize carrying isn't a threat to them.

View attachment 266920

Getting a decent holster will dramatically improve your ability, comfort and control for CC. There are plenty of good options under $100 that will work. If you're not comfortable carrying in your holster/pocket, you're more likely to leave it at home. A good holster will protect your trigger, hold the gun firmly in place and make it easy to access and draw when needed. Get it and practice drawing/reholstering over and over (with an unloaded gun please). And, if you can afford it, get thee to a good defensive shooting course - it will make a difference.

As for your wife, she may come around some day. Be patient with her. I've seen anti-gun spouses initially freaked by a new CC weapon on their significant other, come to understand the need and to lose the fear, once they realize carrying isn't a threat to them.

Don't forget a quality gun belt as well. I've found even the best non-gun belts don't hold a candle to the ones built for the purpose. My belts have made as much of a difference in comfort as the holster I was using.

Don't forget a quality gun belt as well. I've found even the best non-gun belts don't hold a candle to the ones built for the purpose. My belts have made as much of a difference in comfort as the holster I was using.

Expect the 40 to 75 for quality belts, some of the best have a metal strip between the inner and outer layers.

Good luck on your upgrades.

Excellent point Joe. I need to get a better one myself, though what I've been using has served me very well so far.

I too am unable to carry at work... even though i strongly disagree. Working in a federally restricted area (port of seattle) sucks i could carry and no one would notice but on the chance i get caught it could me losing my carry license permanently.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top