JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How often do you live fire your defensive carry gun(s)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last trip to the range was Tuesday. I rotate what I bring, but always bring a mix of things along to keep it fun. Tuesday it was my Ruger ranch Mini 14 in .223, a Winchester AE lever action in .357, my S& W 686 snubbie in .357, a ruger Mark IV with can, and my AK in 7.62. Next trip I'm thinking military style with a 1898 Krag-Jorgensen, a 1903 Springfield in .30-06, my Garand, my .45 Springfield and my Bushmaster in 5.56. Then western style with a mix of winnie's and Colt peacemakers. I could go on.

I bet...

"One second between shots, please..." :rolleyes:
That is one big reason I have stayed at the old place I am a member of. They allow you to practice double and triple taps. The one newer one out by me I have not tried yet says at orientation on line 3 seconds between each shot. Will get over there at least one time to try them. If they really are enforcing that it will be the only time I go for sure. Sadly any more its a day trip to drive to where I can shoot outside and only open few months a year :(

That is one big reason I have stayed at the old place I am a member of. They allow you to practice double and triple taps. The one newer one out by me I have not tried yet says at orientation on line 3 seconds between each shot. Will get over there at least one time to try them. If they really are enforcing that it will be the only time I go for sure. Sadly any more its a day trip to drive to where I can shoot outside and only open few months a year :(
I remember going to the Seattle PD range once. It was open to the public. I had a couple of machine guns I had been working on and I wanted to test fire them. I was an SOT at the time and could have them legally. The RO informed me that as a civilian I could have one round in the magazine. Kinda hard to function check a machine gun with one round in the mag.

Trying to answer a nigh-on unanswerable question, but I go OUT to shoot at least twice a week, but more often three times a week, concentrating on a good shot for every squeeze of the trigger, no matter what it might be attached to. Black powder is usually a weekly thing, too, either a muzzle loader or a BPC rifle of one kind or another.

No fancy stuff on the range - easy when we have no handguns except for BP or gloopy-looking excuses for handguns that just make most folks laff. Try drawing a 23" long 'handgun' from a holster and you' ll see what I mean.

OTOH, I CAN practice my much-loved 'sneaky' rifle shooting any time I like - and do. No backstop fireweed is safe from my predation, of that you can be certain.

Whinemeal, here at home, I can shoot air pistol 24/7, if I had a yen to do so - same with air rifle. In deference to our NDN, I tend to shoot during the hours of daylight, even though the noise is muted by their screeching kids.......

I do not pay a per visit range fee and where I shoot doesn't require much driving, so I go frequently...
I am of the opinion that skill improves more with eight visits to the range using 25 bullets each time as opposed to those same 200 bullets being shot in a single session.
For what it's worth, I typically take 2-3 firearms and shoot about 125 rounds per visit. This is where reloading and previously stocking up on components pays off.

I changed scopes on my .22 rifle so need to re-zero that, and made some 410gr stump pullers for my 480 Ruger...., Maybe I'll have time to put together a test batch of 50gr Speer TNT's for my .223 varmint gun. Thursday is looking like a blue-bird go to the range kind of a day.

Not on a normal pattern due to ammo and weather. It's been since the beginning of winter for me. Probably the longest non shoot stretch since I started shooting.

I went to Salmonberry yesterday but the no shooting sign was still up. Went down to Wolfcreek Rd and luckily someone was just leaving lane 3. Also, just as I was leaving and picking up my brass, a guy showed up. He guy said thanks, for keeping the place clean. I asked if he was a member of NWFA, he said no. He was in Jeep club that packs out trash sometimes.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews