JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Our collection has always been in flux. Build up, go through a culling phase, rinse and repeat. I'm going through a declutter mood right now, so dumping firearms and parts. I'm reasonably sure it will pass eventually and it will flow the other direction.

(shrug) As others mentioned above, to each their own. Life is short; just enjoy when one can. When the dark times come, you remember the joyful times more clearly.

As soon as I'm content with my collection, then it's enough. Crazy thing is they keep going missing in boating accidents so I need to keep replacing the ones I lost!!!

I say stop when your collection needs a bank vault to store them in.

1592272343876.png

1592272407650.png

1593360421444.png

Last Edited:
This reminded me of a story that came out a while back. Apparently, if you own 8 or more guns, you're considered a "super" gun owner. Supposedly 3% of the population accounts for half of the guns. That stat came out 4 years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same today. It also makes me wonder because the families I grew up around, including ours, all qualified by that standard. Similarly, so do a good portion of people I hang out with or work with. Maybe there's something in the water around here.

I mean who wouldn't want to be Super? The Regular Mario Bros would be a video game about unclogging toilets. So you need at least 8. :D

When you are young and don't have much money, you can never have enough. When you are old, maybe finally have all the money you need, buy all the guns you ever wanted, then you find out how many is too many. Or in some cases, maybe. I've got a big, deep, dark secret to impart to younger people. Here it is:

You're not gonna live to be 150 years old so plan accordingly. I don't care how much granola and yogurt you eat, how much you work out, it ain't gonna happen. That's Part One. Part Two is, even if you did live that long, nobody has yet figured out a way to take it with them when they do die. There's no U-Haul trailer hooked to the back of your hearse.

From time to time, you see auction houses selling extensive collections of fine arms. Those are the guns that some dead guy used to own. For all the good they now do him.

My opinion, it's more important to enjoy what you've got, not necessarily how many more you can amass. People who place more importance on acquisition than enjoyment tend to remain unhappy or restless. They believe that fulfillment of happiness will be solved by more acquisition, and so on and so on.

When you are young and don't have much money, you can never have enough. When you are old, maybe finally have all the money you need, buy all the guns you ever wanted, then you find out how many is too many. Or in some cases, maybe. I've got a big, deep, dark secret to impart to younger people. Here it is:

You're not gonna live to be 150 years old so plan accordingly. I don't care how much granola and yogurt you eat, how much you work out, it ain't gonna happen. That's Part One. Part Two is, even if you did live that long, nobody has yet figured out a way to take it with them when they do die. There's no U-Haul trailer hooked to the back of your hearse.

From time to time, you see auction houses selling extensive collections of fine arms. Those are the guns that some dead guy used to own. For all the good they now do him.

My opinion, it's more important to enjoy what you've got, not necessarily how many more you can amass. People who place more importance on acquisition than enjoyment tend to remain unhappy or restless. They believe that fulfillment of happiness will be solved by more acquisition, and so on and so on.
That there is very well stated.

So basically what you're saying is ''It's about wanting what you have. Not having what you want''?

And I do!
I just also think I would be happier Having what you have.

Last Edited:
So how many guns are enough? Is it 10, 20 , 30 50? I have never believed in a number that says you have enough. What I run into into is I shoot the same ones all the time. The others just sit around and get reoiled from time to time. I like having the options of others but they never seem to make it to the range. Just wondering how many others run into this. It doesn't cross my mind to get rid of any either.
well.. you need EDC options for summer, spring, winter, fall - at least two options each season, so that's 8. then caliber options depending on latest articles, internet opinions, etc... so say 3 calibers per the 8.. so that's 24. And this is just handguns. You need long guns. Hunting options - big game, small game, varmints, plinking - and same multiple caliber rule applies.. so say 8 long guns. then there's military related collectibles - going down the rabbit hole of garands, 1903s, mausers.. that's 4 or so more long guns. Then there's shotguns. Gotta have a short barrel pump for home defense, maybe 2 - I truck gun. You gotta have an autoloader for self defense. and who doesn't need a good high quality auto loader bird gun, skeet gun... so there 4 or so shotties. What does that all add up to so far?

I have more than plenty. Been buying for many Many years. I am just starting to ask myself why I have so many in the same. Calibers. It makes it nice from reloading standpoints. I still look through the dang classified on here every day and think man I should buy that. I guess I am a sanctuary home for guns

I often joke about how I have never had so many at any one time. Stupid laws making it so damn hard to sell. I really do miss the days of buying and selling. Buy something, play with it, sell it and buy something else to play with. Really sucks to have so much cash tied up in them that I find myself not buying something I would really like to try :(

I go through phases, once it was ww 1 era rifles, then ruger #1's, then a plethrea of shotguns. Now I own an ammo business so need a "test fixture" for every caliber I load for. And then someone will want something I don't load for ....yet..... I'm down to a 300 Win Mag as a high power rifle and a BPS 12 ga but have 20 or so hand guns. But I need.......just one more.........

My wife stopped asking how many, because I would always answer it was in the garage in parts.

So, I'd get a box of parts shipped in and put it in the garage for whenever I have down time.

This whole sequester for safety has been very productive for me. Not only do I still get to work from home but when I take a break, I head to the garage and clean up, sort stuff that we got from my parents house and build whatever is next.

Law Tactical folder is cool, I think I'll be wearing a backpack whenever I head out.

Franklin Armory is neat, good straight forward install, can't wait to try it out.

All of this type stuff not on my primary weapons.

I learned in the military, one is none, two is one... so you better get three. That would be the minimum, maximum number dependent on keeping the family (Wife) happy... and she stopped asking, so there you go.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top