JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If asked, "Do you or someone in your home own a firearm?" do you:

• Tell the truth?

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Lie?

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Decline to answer? (Which means you do, but don't want to go on record)

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters
IMHO, the best demographic can be found in the supermarket frozen foods section wearing light-weight clothing during summer time…..

;):D
I think you would denounce your citizenship, disavow gun ownership, ect, under the right circumstances 200.gif

(For firearm owners only.)

If randomly contacted for a survey, and for those that would agree to participate, how many people would answer truthfully about firearm ownership?

I guess within my limited frame of reference I have the tendency to think that many would not.
Within my own extended family culture, I know none would. Although it's not a question I ask friends and associates who I know own firearms, it has come up in passing on occasion with a few. The majority indicated they would not either.

With such a small sample size though it peaked my curiosity if my friends and family are more the norm, or the exception.

When seeing polls and such about the percentage of households in the U.S. that own firearms I always find myself wondering how accurate are they if there is a significant percentage surveyed that elect not to answer truthfully when asked.

What say you!? Any particular reasoning why you would or would not answer truthfully?
Mine is simple enough. They are a random stranger. I have no idea what their motives are in asking. It's None-OTFB! 😁

*Anonymous poll
There should be a category for "bubblegum off!"

Can you think of any surveys asking that question that are sponsored (funded) by organizations with gun owners' best interest at heart? I can't. I take it that anyone, or any survey, asking that question can - and probably would - use truthful answers to somehow cast gun ownership in a bad light.

As for medical intake surveys, until they also ask about all demonstrably risky activities (like riding in motor vehicles, swimming, boating, rock climbing, playing with power tools, philandering, snake-handling, and hiking the streets of Portland), I'll simply skip past the firearm question.

I don't answer or participate in any of the surveys on any issue. The government and the internet already have more information about me that I care for them to know.

I don't talk (online or otherwise) about guns to random strangers.

Confused here...
You post on a firearm forum and have talked about firearms.

NWFA is a public forum....so anyone with a computer , phone , what have you....can visit and read posts...
And perhaps steal data..
Granted I am not a computer guy...so there is that to consider.
Andy

NWFA is a public forum....so anyone with a computer , phone , what have you....can visit and read posts...
Yes, this plus all the 4474's, state handgun forms, and many other such that you've filled out over the years. Ever serve in the US military? Go to the VA? Better believe you're already on "lists."

(For firearm owners only.)

If randomly contacted for a survey, and for those that would agree to participate, how many people would answer truthfully about firearm ownership?

I guess within my limited frame of reference I have the tendency to think that many would not.
Within my own extended family culture, I know none would. Although it's not a question I ask friends and associates who I know own firearms, it has come up in passing on occasion with a few. The majority indicated they would not either.

With such a small sample size though it peaked my curiosity if my friends and family are more the norm, or the exception.

When seeing polls and such about the percentage of households in the U.S. that own firearms I always find myself wondering how accurate are they if there is a significant percentage surveyed that elect not to answer truthfully when asked.

What say you!? Any particular reasoning why you would or would not answer truthfully?
Mine is simple enough. They are a random stranger. I have no idea what their motives are in asking. It's None-OTFB! 😁

*Anonymous poll
The correct answer is: "Hang up"
Those that answer with "tell the truth", probably won't.

Confused here...
You post on a firearm forum and have talked about firearms.

And perhaps steal data..
Granted I am not a computer guy...so there is that to consider.
Andy
Yes - true.

But I don't consider NWFA "random". I would say most people here are actual gun people and I don't consider them "strangers" even if I don't know their real names.

That aside - I have also said that the gov (specifically the NSA) listens to every electronic transmission, period. They have for decades. So yeah, that, and the fact of mandatory BGCs in OR/WA, means the gov already knows about a good percentage of my guns.

Doesn't mean I voluntarily specifically share info with "random strangers", just "strangers" I kind of know.

Yes - true.

But I don't consider NWFA "random". I would say most people here are actual gun people and I don't consider them "strangers" even if I don't know their real names.

That aside - I have also said that the gov (specifically the NSA) listens to every electronic transmission, period. They have for decades. So yeah, that, and the fact of mandatory BGCs in OR/WA, means the gov already knows about a good percentage of my guns.

Doesn't mean I voluntarily specifically share info with "random strangers", just "strangers" I kind of know.
That makes perfect sense and clarifies things for me...thank you.
Andy

Can you think of any surveys asking that question that are sponsored (funded) by organizations with gun owners' best interest at heart? I can't. I take it that anyone, or any survey, asking that question can - and probably would - use truthful answers to somehow cast gun ownership in a bad light.

As for medical intake surveys, until they also ask about all demonstrably risky activities (like riding in motor vehicles, swimming, boating, rock climbing, playing with power tools, philandering, snake-handling, and hiking the streets of Portland), I'll simply skip past the firearm question.
That's pretty much my thought process.

As a general principle, when it comes to personal information not directly necessary to the situation at hand, I believe it's safe to assume there is an alternate purpose/agenda in the asking. If there is no agenda, why ask... and even if their agenda is benign... I'm not hurting anyone if I decide to withhold. On the flip side... the odds are greater that I may be hurting my own self interests and will always opt for the "safe play" unless I am convinced it is worthwhile to do otherwise.

I've seen questions like that on medical intake forms. I only answer questions that are directly relevant to why I am seeing the doctor that day. Which is hardly ever any of them and just hand them back mostly blank. The people at the counter don't generally like that, but I've never been told, "if you don't fill it out completely the Dr. won't see you." :s0155:

I know too they are mainly for statistical analysis and cataloging patient history. I don't like being "cataloged" and the only one it might ever hurt is me... so.... "my life, my choice.":D

I voted that I'd lie. But not just about owning firearms. About everything.

"Do you drive daily?" No
"How do you get to work?" Run
"Do you own any firearms?" I'm confused by your question could you define firearms?

Just have a little fun and try to skew the data in absurd ways. Mainly because I know some entity is paying to have the survey done and I assume the reasons are dubious at best.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top