JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

If asked, "Do you or someone in your home own a firearm?" do you:

• Tell the truth?

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Lie?

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • Decline to answer? (Which means you do, but don't want to go on record)

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
(For firearm owners only.)

If randomly contacted for a survey, and for those that would agree to participate, how many people would answer truthfully about firearm ownership?

I guess within my limited frame of reference I have the tendency to think that many would not.
Within my own extended family culture, I know none would. Although it's not a question I ask friends and associates who I know own firearms, it has come up in passing on occasion with a few. The majority indicated they would not either.

With such a small sample size though it peaked my curiosity if my friends and family are more the norm, or the exception.

When seeing polls and such about the percentage of households in the U.S. that own firearms I always find myself wondering how accurate are they if there is a significant percentage surveyed that elect not to answer truthfully when asked.

What say you!? Any particular reasoning why you would or would not answer truthfully?
Mine is simple enough. They are a random stranger. I have no idea what their motives are in asking. It's None-OTFB! šŸ˜

*Anonymous poll

I haven't encountered this everā€¦.. random survey.

I've only ever seen ONE censusā€¦. WA
But just a few questions and nothing about firearm ownership.

I voted that I would tell the truth.
I own firearms....it is not a crime to do so....nor is it something I feel a need to hide.
I am a proud firearm owner , who does not harm anyone with my firearm ownership.

I say the above because , quite often in media , firearms and firearm ownership is twisted , made to fit false and overplayed stereotypes / narrative and shown in any number of other negative ways.
Which then in turn shapes many non firearm owners perception of firearms and firearm owners.
A survey may be a way to refute / combat some of this.

With all that said...
I would like to see the list of questions before I answer....
Open ended questions....questions that are phrased to skew answers....or give only a limited option of answer types...
Would change my answer to a No.

Some other things to consider :
Just how knowledgeable about firearms , are the people who made the survey...
Who made the survey....who is asking the survey....
A survey from the NRA will be just as biased as one from Moms Demand Action...Just in different directions.
What is the data collected to be used for....
All could change my answer to a No.

It would depend ...Would have been a better option for me at least on the poll.
Andy

Edit to add :
What makes me concerned here is....
The need to have to deny to answer or lie to someone , like a survey , a doctor , etc...
When asked if I own firearms.
Especially since I have done nothing wrong with my firearms.
But the popular perception of firearms and firearm owners , makes it so that this needs to be considered when asked.

Last Edited:
It would depend ...Would have been a better option for me at least on the poll.
I didn't want it to be too ambiguous and more of a persons leanings or knee jerk reaction. I thinks it's pretty safe to say that near everyone could choose "it depends".

IE., "My first instinct says no... unless there is a good reason to." OR "My first instinct says yes... unless I feel there is good reason not to." KWIM?
That would tend to put us all into the "it depends" category... or open the poll up to so many ambiguous options it becomes diluted to not really tell us much of anything about most firearm owners leanings.

It's not an absolute and I think myself and most of my family would fall in there too. Given a very compelling reason that would be solidly beneficial to the preservation of 2A rights... I might tell the truth. šŸ¤£

Reading your post I think you voted correctly. Your instinct is to tell the truth, but may choose to withhold if you felt you had a compelling reason to do so. Correct me if I read that wrong.šŸ‘

All kidding aside...
This is an excellent and thought provoking thread.

Many times I have read folks on NWFA state they would say no to these types of things...
Not that I blame 'em..
Lots of reasons to say to no to a survey of this type for sure.

If properly worded and used....a survey of this type could however be useful for those on the pro gun side of the issue.
There is that word "if" to consider ...As well as all the many ways one can "properly word" something to get the answers you want versus the actual real life answers.
Andy

I reckon it depends on who's doin' the survey and what their end game is. They're going to answer a LOT of questions about those types of things before I'll tell 'em anything.

I think the only time I've been asked was on a Kiaser survey a few years ago. I declined the survey but that wasn't the only question.

I don't know the best environment to pose gun ownership questions. Not enough normies attend gun shows or go to church. Where do you get a better sample of America? The supermarket?

All kidding aside...
This is an excellent and thought provoking thread.

Many times I have read folks on NWFA state they would say no to these types of things...
Not that I blame 'em..
Lots of reasons to say to no to a survey of this type for sure.

If properly worded and used....a survey of this type could however be useful for those on the pro gun side of the issue.
There is that word "if" to consider ...As well as all the many ways one can "properly word" something to get the answers you want versus the actual real life answers.
Andy
My reply would (probably) be, "if you REALLY want to know if I own firearms, then FAFO".

Yesā€¦ it would. ;) :D

I think the only time I've been asked was on a Kiaser survey a few years ago. I declined the survey but that wasn't the only question.

I don't know the best environment to pose gun ownership questions. Not enough normies attend gun shows or go to church. Where do you get a better sample of America? The supermarket?
IMHO, the best demographic can be found in the supermarket frozen foods section wearing light-weight clothing during summer timeā€¦..

;):D

While back Father In Law was in Hospital setting. One time when I was signing in the nurse at the desk asked me if I was carrying a gun. I looked shocked and said no. I was as always. So when asked now days? I say no I don't own a gun. Now if its someone I know? They of course know I do. Anyone else that asks? No

Got asked if we have guns in the house in a hospital Intake survey when my wife went in to have her kidney stones blasted. They only had 'yes' and 'no' as answers. I put an 'X' through both answers and on the side wrote NOYDB! (None of your damn business).
Friends and family (and the government with its national registry) already know I have guns, no one else needs to know.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top