JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
TC Compass in 300 WinMag.
It's not so much that I'm embarrassed by it but more that I feel embarrassed for TC having screwed the pooch so hard on this particular rifle. The screw holes for the scope mounts are so far out of alignment that there is no way to get a scope into a set of rings. The threading on the muzzle is so rough it looks and feels like they were cut with a butter knife and the same for the knurling on the thread protector. I had to mount the rifle in a vice and use pliers to force the thread protector off.
I've seen internet chatter claiming MoA accuracy, but since I can't get a scope on it, I can't test it. Thought about sending it back, but the rifle was so cheap it's hardly worth the effort, so it sits in the back corner of the vault as a reminder of how bad a cheap rifle can truly be.

While I would never quote a celebrity for wisdom, there is a good quote in an Alanis Morisette song: "...it's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got." If someone is content with an older basic piece of kit, or can't afford anything else, I don't see a problem. Physical stuff is not what matters in life. I've been able to provide better clothes and toys for my kids than I grew up with but I remind them to be thankful. If they see some other kid's hand me down clothes I remind them that there is nothing wrong with reusing clothes instead of wasting money on new ones.
My grandpa and Dad literally hunted squirrels with a 22 H&R revolver growing up on a rural farm. Many days I think back fondly to my deployments where I had very few material possessions and lived in a tent for months.

My Colt 2nd Generation 1st Model Dragoon was a bit of an embarrassment when I first bought it.
I am the second owner of this gun....the previous owner....attempted to fake a antique finish on the revolver...it turned out bad and looked , to be kind , horrific.

I bought the Colt , 'cause I could see the potential it had....and re-worked the finish so its more pleasing to the eye...well my eye at least....:D
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

I owned a Taurus revolver for a short time. TERRIBLE DA trigger, fit and finish were ok though. I ended up selling it, wasn't for me.

WIth regard to a gun I was embarrassed to own it would have been an SKS I had at one time.

I have always owned nicely finished, traditional guns and the SKS was a departure with it's junky wood stock (a variety of pine finely finished by using it as a baseball bat and then dipped into a vat of some kind varnish until it was about an 1/8" thick) its 25 lb trigger, and what wasn't a color match of any of the metal parts as well as the barrel that had machine marks on it that made me wonder if the lathe it was turned on was set to cut threads.

I occasionally got odd looks from people I was shooting with (like looks of disbelief) and after a couple episodes of 2-3 shot bursts with one trigger pull I traded it off.

*sigh* I have a Featherweight Model 70 in 30-06
Little embarrassed to own it. It has a wood stock.

I've never been a "hey, that's neat" kind of gun buyer. I'm pretty deliberate. So, all of my mistakes, were thoroughly agonized over and I made them anyway.

That said, I've bought a few camo stocked rifles with the practicality in mind. Then I remembered I wear hunter orange.

I bought a Colt Series 70 Competition that comes stock with bright blue grips. I refused to take it out of the box until I could put different grips on it.

I stole this pic since I have no evidence of my actual gun ever looking this corny:

F2AFD035-D187-455A-BC17-37A6006EE45C.jpeg

I'm positively embarrassed by the Cobray POS I inherited from an in-law. Looking back, I'm sure it was gifted to me in revenge. I would sell it, if I could find someone dumb enough to buy it.

I have several .40s ... l also enjoy them.

I'm not embarrassed by them, but l usually keep it to myself because the internet glitterati have deemed the cartridge useless, outdated, underpowered, "snappy", and just generally undesirable. I disagree on all counts, but arguing about it is pointless and tiresome.

Best: USP40
Smallest: Walther PPS Classic
Coolest: S&W 4013 TSW
Largest: Springfield Armory XDM 4.5"
Most Expensive: SiG P226 (also most fun to shoot).
Heaviest (est.): S&W 4006.

There... l said it.

As do I and I send them to everyone who thinks they are a sniper now or a moron long range hunter because they bought a 6.5.
I just sold my 6.5 creed and bought a .300 win mag. But $hit I am having a hard time finding ammo for it lol. Wrong time to invest in a new cartridge.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top