JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a '92 Winchester in .44-40. It has a Model '94 tang welded on it where the original tang must have broken off at some point. It was my first '92 and although I don't bring it out too often, I still shoot it when I'm alone!

I have a '92 Winchester in .44-40. It has a Model '94 tang welded on it where the original tang must have broken off at some point. It was my first '92 and although I don't bring it out too often, I still shoot it when I'm alone!
That's so funny... I have one of those too (in .25-20, tho, so even more embarrassing). I wonder how many '92s got their tangs broken in the 30s and 40s.

I honestly thought it was unique...

I just sold my 6.5 creed and bought a .300 win mag. But $hit I am having a hard time finding ammo for it lol. Wrong time to invest in a new cartridge.
What are you wanting to shoot. I have a few extra boxes I can sell. I have 2.5 boxes of Winchester Ballistic Qaaaa
I just sold my 6.5 creed and bought a .300 win mag. But $hit I am having a hard time finding ammo for it lol. Wrong time to invest in a new cartridge.
i have a few extra boxes I am trying to sell. What are you shooting. You can PM if you want details.

I own firearms worth from a little over $100 to a rifle worth about $2700-$2800 Pistols from $250 to $750.00 Shotguns from $250 to $700.00 and I'm not embarrassed by a one of them. I do not own firearms to impress someone. I own them because I bought or inherited them.

I find it interesting the OP mentions being embarrassed by a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter. I own one in 30-06 it was bought specifically to convert into a .35 WHelen which when done will end up being one of my pride and joys.

I think aside from a POS TEC-9 I owned for almost 3 weeks I've never owned anything to be embarrassed by and over the last 49 years of firearms ownership I have owned a LOT of different firearms.

Years ago I bought Jennings 22 pistol, in my oppinion I'd be embassed to of used it as a paper weight. That went bye bye decades ago. 2nd up was a Rossi combo gun, 20 gauge shotgun/243. Biggest pos long gun ever.

I don't know about embarrassing. But probably the most unloved. Many years ago, I was gifted a Model 1893 Turkish Mauser rifle. Originally a 7.65x53mm, some idiot had bored out the original chamber to .30-06. I wasn't brave enough to fire full loads in it, but it was functional with reduced loads. It was given to me by a co-worker. Then I found out that it had been passed around between several before me, none of whom thought enough of it to keep it. I later sold it for a wall decoration in a tavern.

I don't feel embarrassed for the guns that I own.

However...
There are times when I am out on the range or hunting and someone just has to make a disparaging comment on :
"Those old black powder guns".

In response , I usually let my shooting do my talking for me.
While I am not Daniel Boone , David Crockett or Kit Carson...I do shoot pretty good.
So while giving a demonstration of the loading and shooting process , I can put some misinformation to rest...:D
Andy
I learned a long time ago to never look down my nose at "obsolete hardware". I know I've told this story before, but 20+ years ago a buddy of mine decided to take up black powder hunting (he's a hunter's hunter). He said if he was going to do black powder, it was going to be traditional, so he bought a nice reproduction flintlock. He brought it out to my place because I lived out of town back then. The first shooting session wasn't pretty because neither of us knew what we were doing- big clouds of smoke, delayed ignition, flinching, mostly misses.

The next time he brought it out sometime later, he had practiced and really learned how to shoot it. He was hitting pop cans at 50 yards. That's nothing to sneeze at, in my opinion. Flintlocks may be long obsolete by modern standards, but they're still as lethal as they ever were.

The same is true for more modern guns. I have an old Remington 721 30-06 that I bought a few years ago. The stock had been thoroughly trashed by a previous owner so it was really cheap. I posted about it on a forum and a very generous member sent me a well-used but not abused old stock for the cost of shipping. It fit like a glove. I had a period ('50s) K4 scope that I put on it. It looks like Grandpa's old dragged-through-the-woods hunting rifle, but it shoots like a million dollars, will probably outshoot a lot of new rifles. It may look a little embarrassing but it doesn't bother me. :)

I own firearms worth from a little over $100 to a rifle worth about $2700-$2800 Pistols from $250 to $750.00 Shotguns from $250 to $700.00 and I'm not embarrassed by a one of them. I do not own firearms to impress someone. I own them because I bought or inherited them.

I find it interesting the OP mentions being embarrassed by a Savage 111 Trophy Hunter. I own one in 30-06 it was bought specifically to convert into a .35 WHelen which when done will end up being one of my pride and joys.

I think aside from a POS TEC-9 I owned for almost 3 weeks I've never owned anything to be embarrassed by and over the last 49 years of firearms ownership I have owned a LOT of different firearms.
It's the cartridge more than the rifle itself. I love shooting it but I don't want to tell people what it's chambered in

I learned a long time ago to never look down my nose at "obsolete hardware". I know I've told this story before, but 20+ years ago a buddy of mine decided to take up black powder hunting (he's a hunter's hunter). He said if he was going to do black powder, it was going to be traditional, so he bought a nice reproduction flintlock. He brought it out to my place because I lived out of town back then. The first shooting session wasn't pretty because neither of us knew what we were doing- big clouds of smoke, delayed ignition, flinching, mostly misses.

The next time he brought it out sometime later, he had practiced and really learned how to shoot it. He was hitting pop cans at 50 yards. That's nothing to sneeze at, in my opinion. Flintlocks may be long obsolete by modern standards, but they're still as lethal as they ever were.

When I was shooting Black Powder regular it was common to hit a small styro coffee cup sized target (so basically the same size as a pop can) at 125yrds Standing. Granted percussion ignition.

I have an unconverted Saiga 12 with a holosun on an rs regulate mount. Yes it needs to be a proper AK setup but I love taking it to the trap range and confusing the crap out of the old guys their. Been asked "Is that an AR 15" multiple times. Even better is when i would run the drum....Priceless looks.

Great thread! I've had quite a few I wasn't proud of. Many times I was given a gun but still had to sport it. I was given a hi-point 380 [ran great back when 380 was cheap and plentiful], I bought a pimp chrome Jennings J22 for my tackle box [actually ran great too], any of the cheap break action shotguns or rifles that I've fell into, a Walther P99 that the SN# started with something classy like FAG1XXX , poorly done sporterized military rifles of all flavors. I had a Remington 710 too! It was real embarrassing when the bolt stop sheared off and the bolt fell out on the ground at the range! A slew of crappy old 22 rifles that I was once enamored with but looking back I should have been embarrassed at the time. Sadly, I could go on.....

Last Edited:
I've never been a "hey, that's neat" kind of gun buyer. I'm pretty deliberate. So, all of my mistakes, were thoroughly agonized over and I made them anyway.

That said, I've bought a few camo stocked rifles with the practicality in mind. Then I remembered I wear hunter orange.

I bought a Colt Series 70 Competition that comes stock with bright blue grips. I refused to take it out of the box until I could put different grips on it.

I stole this pic since I have no evidence of my actual gun ever looking this corny:

View attachment 795683
mine used to look like that. now it has punisher grips and a comp on it for fun:rolleyes:

wished the comp matched a little better :rolleyes:

C0585CFF-D5C7-4373-8610-98BB326E2821.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top