JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Call me pessimistic, but I feel like certain political entities view all veterans as crazy old white dudes with mountain-man beards building bombs in their basements.
Was wondering the same thing and find it interesting.
They are definitely using the entire group for their agenda.

. . . . There is a railroad crossing on a road with little traffic. It has warning signs for the crossing located far enough from the crossing that drivers can check for trains and stop in time. The trains run twice a day, and are limited to 40 mph because of track condition. There is plenty of sight distance both ways from the road, so drivers can see the trains coming.

One day a car is hit by the train. The occupants die and it is a mess to clean up. Police, fire and rescue personnel have to deal with it. Politicians jump in and demand the railroad install lights and gates, but that is too expensive, so stop signs are installed. Everyone has to stop, even when there is no train present. . . .
Thanks, the entire process you described reminded me of the time my dad - a railroad engineer - got a ticket for running the stop sign at a rural grade crossing half a mile from our home. The officer told dad that as a railroad engineer he should know better. Dad replied that as a railroad engineer, he did know better - he knew that a stop sign at that location did nothing to improve safety and was a total waste of time for everyone. Of course, being right and saying so only blew any chance that he'd get just a warning ticket.

Returning to topic, I also agree with your thoughts regarding how & why governments wield power. "Because they can" is a poor reason. Every application of power takes on an unfortunate life of its own. Once enacted, laws linger long after it's apparent to everyone that they serve no purpose.

Veteran suicide has become an issue that impels bureaucrats to "do something" even if it's a useless something. So, here we are, funding studies designed to support the odd notion that if veterans would simply keep their firearms "safely" unloaded and locked up all the time, then veteran suicides would decline. Waiting in the wings is the dangerous notion that if all veterans could be prohibited from owning any firearms at all, then veteran suicide would certainly be eliminated.

Call me pessimistic, but I feel like certain political entities view all veterans as crazy old white dudes with mountain-man beards building bombs in their basements.
1708028985202.jpeg

The Tripping Hazard is real...
View attachment 1823521

AI - Generated... I am not that good looking...or that tall...and my feet are smaller than @solv3nt 's
I knew an old boy like that. Heavy into Marlin .22s . He just leaned them up against the wall all the way around his house. Couple hundred of them at least.
And he was always looking for more.

focus on Vetrans struggling with depression, drugs, and mental health issues
Yeah, in my recent experiences with the VA, they are pretty big on pushing suicide prevention. When you call, the very first thing you get is a spiel about, "If you are having suicidal thoughts, hang up and call ..." or something like that. The VA regional center where I go is plastered with signs about it Studies show that the rate of suicide among veterans is higher than non-veterans. But I wonder about this stat. Does this include ALL veterans, or just the ones enrolled in VA healthcare? Which could make quite a difference. Meaning, the well-adjusted, non-suicidal veterans may have never shown up at the VA. Many of those who do so are there because of financial reasons, typically. An area which in any case may steer anybody more toward depression and suicidal ideation.

the odd notion that if veterans would simply keep their firearms "safely" unloaded and locked up all the time, then veteran suicides would decline.
That is a naïve and largely groundless assumption. Anybody bent on suicide isn't likely to let a lock keep them from it, so long as they can open the lock.

I think suicide prevention for minds that are not yet fully mature is probably a good thing. Young people can't always appreciate all the facts of life and have many years ahead of them. In the case of veterans, in particular those who seek VA care, I'm not sure I see suicide prevention as curing an ill. Many of those treated are old, sick, or lame. These people know the score. For them suicide is a valid, voluntary, personal decision.

Having been very nearsighted I always had to put on my glasses to see past my nose. Then I got a cataract, and they had to put replacement lenses in both eyes. Now I can see to identify and shoot as soon as I wake up, so it is somewhat of a relief. Unfortunately, I still need glasses to read and do close work.

Keeping a 1911 under my pillow when I sleep makes me feel safe. if you come into my house while I sleep it may not make you feel safe. Or something like that.
I had to laugh at this because it brought back a fond memory. I used to keep 1911 under pillow when we had small kids (2 then). When one of the kids woke up, or phone range, I normally slept through. Wife used to complain the gun was of no use as NOTHING woke me up. Then one night she woke to the sound of someone walking past our house and touched me and said "someone is in the house!". I did not even really remember her saying that as I was out of bed, gun in hand, moving fast and low towards the other end of the house where the kids slept. She caught up with me and said it was just someone going past. Took me an hour to get the Adrenalin to work out so I could go back to sleep and it was the last time she said nothing would wake me up :s0140:

I had to laugh at this because it brought back a fond memory. I used to keep 1911 under pillow when we had small kids (2 then). When one of the kids woke up, or phone range, I normally slept through. Wife used to complain the gun was of no use as NOTHING woke me up. Then one night she woke to the sound of someone walking past our house and touched me and said "someone is in the house!". I did not even really remember her saying that as I was out of bed, gun in hand, moving fast and low towards the other end of the house where the kids slept. She caught up with me and said it was just someone going past. Took me an hour to get the Adrenalin to work out so I could go back to sleep and it was the last time she said nothing would wake me up :s0140:
Oh man I know how that goes. I get bad dreams that do this to me. The adrenaline dump keeps you up for hours.

Sounds like she rocked your world…. :eek:

"Fat bottom girls you make the Rockin world go round"…
Get on your bikes and ride!

View: https://youtube.com/watch?v=VMnjF1O4eH0

:s0133::s0151::s0056::s0061:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR