JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ok, I'll try it during the day!

F8A7CFEA-29A3-4949-8ADA-8D6F82C914D1.jpeg

We use to have a coyote problem. My dog, a Saint Bernard, Would wake by barking in the house. I'd get my 9mm Glock and put 3 quick rounds in the direction of the coyote noise and they'd vanish for the night. Did this a couple of years. They don't come around here any more.

Good luck! I would be interested in a get-together to turn out the lights of some yotes! And what camo is that? It looks a bit like Stalkland legacy reduced.

You'd be welcome to come out anytime you'd like!

And that camo would be my buddy's homemade rattle can job..! He does boats, too!

Last Edited:
Hi all -

Just lost two more cats tonight to a GD coyote in my yard, have already lost a plethora of other cats, ducks, and chickens, and tired of watching my family be upset over their pets getting killed.

Anybody got some better suggestions for coyote repellent than the stupid Humane Society guidelines which are the only thing that come up when you google this? Any ideas up to and including how to successfully give those A-holes a case of lead poisoning would be more than welcome.
Keeps cats inside.

The only thing legal you can do in Utopia is to get into a Kumbaya sing-along with the yotes and homeless.​

Too bad the yotes won't eat the homeless. What the hell, most of them already smell dead anyways.

We had pretty good luck with a Great Pyrenees mix. He would patrol the property all night and keep the yotes away. Unfortunately I caught him killing a whitetail fawn so he had to go.​

All of our cats are in before dark and don't get outside until around 10:00 AM. This time of year, food sources for coyotes have dried up and they start getting bolder. I saw one on my property at 11:00 AM. I never seem to be armed when I see them. A shotgun is my preference with copper plated #4 buck.

I made some shotgun blanks and would fire off a couple whenever I heard them at night. The neighbors probably didn't appreciate it, but at the time I was protecting a batch of kittens that got dropped off by their mom. They had a wonderful 15-16 year life at our house once we coaxed them in.

When you hear them at night, they are communicating, not hunting. If that happens, grab your shotgun, or whatever your prefer, and get ready for the quiet. That is when they start coming in.

Good luck. It seems to be an unusual year for critters.

Coyotes just started up 20 minutes ago. The dogs in the area are all barking and on alert. Unfortunately they are chained up or fenced in. Most are large breed dogs of two to three at a house. The barking may help to keep the coyotes at bay, so I don't mind the barking.

Regardless of the time of day, when the volunteer fire dept. siren goes off the coyotes in Banks can't help but sound off and give away their location. They are constantly moving along the rails between the golf course and neighborhood, and with 37 new homes now in works where they had a large field to harvest rodents it will be interesting to see how many stick around. I wonder if there isn't something like a crow call for turkeys you could use to keep them restless? Electronic of course so you don't have to keep a tight schedule.

I can donate to the cause.

I have a few flavors of ghillie suits if that helps to match the scenery for sitting out in the open, some scent covers, and a new electronic call. Anyone that wants to scoop them up and drive to @RangerEric 's place to put to use is my guest. Otherwise I will just use them for halloween and pretend I am @Stomper yelling at kids as they walk past to stay off my lawn!

I could probable send you off with some 5.56, but what I have the most of is 62-grain green tip so that might not be ideal.

I always have eye and ear protection for the taking as well!
Mighty kind of you, Jeremy.
If no one has come and received your offering, I'll get it when I come out next week to pick up that NV scope you have on order for me. :)
@RangerEric , was thinking about the text you sent me yesterday and the NV scope someone loaned you. Supposedly the older ATN scopes were horrible on battery life, and in the X-Sight II series, you see vendors offering a 2500mAh "external battery" for an additional $80.

Hi all -

Just lost two more cats tonight to a GD coyote in my yard, have already lost a plethora of other cats, ducks, and chickens, and tired of watching my family be upset over their pets getting killed.

Anybody got some better suggestions for coyote repellent than the stupid Humane Society guidelines which are the only thing that come up when you google this? Any ideas up to and including how to successfully give those A-holes a case of lead poisoning would be more than welcome.
Sure, shooting them works and gives preditor hunters like us a warm fuzzy feeling, but if you really want to get rid of the coyotes trapping is more effective. The traps are always out there and they never sleep. Also if you live trap them you have something to show your neighbors before you put them down and there would be no danger to other animals.

Sure, shooting them works and gives preditor hunters like us a warm fuzzy feeling, but if you really want to get rid of the coyotes trapping is more effective. The traps are always out there and they never sleep. Also if you live trap them you have something to show your neighbors before you put them down and there would be no danger to other animals.

Another member on here was so kind as to offer up a live trap to support the cause, that is being added to the crusade plan as well!

Coyotes are a fact of life in the country, you can't eradicate them so you end up living w/them. Mitigation is probably the best bet, an occasional carcass across a fence helps. I have a neighbor who raises sheep, he's got a donkey, they have a natural hatred for canines, specially ones that smell like Yote's. He's never lost a lamb but I've heard other guys who have the babies pulled out of the mama by coyotes, both sheep and cows. A guy I work with had a coyote chew up a sheep through the fence, the thing was still alive w/part of a haunch eaten away.

In the coast range it's so brushy they get to cover real quick. They are also one of the smartest mammals in the forest, coyotes and crows, 2 of the most wily varmints out there. I've lost many cats and 1 dog to yotes. It's a rare cat that can survive it's 1st year out here. Cats are kind of a necessity to keep the rodent populations in check. After the old man cat died a couple years ago we told the kids we'd need to get a few to get 1 that would be tough enough to make it. A little over a year ago we got 3 brothers from the same litter, today there's 1 left. He's been alone about 6 months now, we try and encourage him to sleep in the house at night but he has a mind of his own. He goes missing for a couple days every few weeks but so far keeps showing back up.

A big outdoor dog is usually a good deterrent though a pack can intimidate even the best. The thing about deterrents is that the yotes will keep pushing until they're no longer intimidated so you have to keep changing them up. If you've got livestock, get a donkey, if you want to protect your pets then you have to take care of them. Kill off the small game, yotes main food source around my place are bunnies, I shoot them when I see em. I hear 'em most every night, sometimes it sounds like there right around the house. They don't bother the chickens but the coons sure give 'em heck.

I have only lost one cat to what I assume was a coyote. She was a hunter and would get a little too focused on her prey. It was before 8:00 at night.

I also saved my neighbor's dog from a common coyote trick. I was outside working and she was visiting when she spotted the coyote and gave chase. She wasn't very big, 30 pounds or so, and I grabbed her just before she crossed the fence-line. On the other side of the fence in the tall grass were three more coyotes waiting. They would of had her down in an instant had I not grabbed her. They are very smart and use the pack advantage very well.

The best defense against coyotes is keeping pets and livestock protected - fenced in or in the house. They make many designs of fences that are coyote proof - electric fences work great, they remember.

Electric, huh? I wonder if it were permissible to use electricity in an outdoor flooring design that would give opportunity to motivate them to move on? Would need to function like a fence to not always be on or remote activated.

I have only lost one cat to what I assume was a coyote. She was a hunter and would get a little too focused on her prey. It was before 8:00 at night.

I also saved my neighbor's dog from a common coyote trick. I was outside working and she was visiting when she spotted the coyote and gave chase. She wasn't very big, 30 pounds or so, and I grabbed her just before she crossed the fence-line. On the other side of the fence in the tall grass were three more coyotes waiting. They would of had her down in an instant had I not grabbed her. They are very smart and use the pack advantage very well.

The best defense against coyotes is keeping pets and livestock protected - fenced in or in the house. They make many designs of fences that are coyote proof - electric fences work great, they remember.
My ex-wife road horses with the dog. They come up on a road and down the way would sit a coyote. The dog would want to chase but she knew that it was just that sort of a tactic - to wait and encourage the dog to chase a single coyote and lure it into a pack attack. They kill and eat as a pack.

Electric, huh? I wonder if it were permissible to use electricity in an outdoor flooring design that would give opportunity to motivate them to move on? Would need to function like a fence to not always be on or remote activated.
Just a wire about a foot or so off the ground connected to a pulse type electric box. It uses very little electricity until the coyote grounds it - low voltage high amp. Normally used to keep livestock from getting under the fence. We had a dog that was marking his territory and peed on the wire. He wouldn't go near the fence for years afterward. Think low power taser/stun gun.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top