JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all -

Just lost two more cats tonight to a GD coyote in my yard, have already lost a plethora of other cats, ducks, and chickens, and tired of watching my family be upset over their pets getting killed.

Anybody got some better suggestions for coyote repellent than the stupid Humane Society guidelines which are the only thing that come up when you google this? Any ideas up to and including how to successfully give those A-holes a case of lead poisoning would be more than welcome.

Are you in city limits? Or in an area that prohibits firearm use?
Why not spread coyote urine around some traps baited with chicken? Will anyone see this occur? Do you want beautiful roses?

I say spread coyote urine around the traps to maybe help prevent other animals from going into the trap.

My only other thought requires a tax stamp and outrageous wait period...

Sorry, I shoulda clarified, outside city limits and surrounded by fields, firearms are entirely on the table. Heck, even have the aforementioned tax stamps already! Got the tools for that, just not the knowledge/skills for how to get my shots. I only ever hear them howling in the distance, or tonight heard the cat screaming.

Wondering about traps too, but I have dogs and several of the neighbors do too, and they all wander around, don't want anybody's pet getting hurt in the process. Are there live traps that actually work? (And only keep them alive long enough for me to dispatch the yotes in person?)

Spotlights... predator calls... decoys and urine... I'm not sure if bait is legal.
@LuckySG might have some night vision available!
Live traps are somewhat effective, but nothing like opening up with .223 from a semi auto. I hear 9mm works well too.

Using the stamped items was a joke, I don't think that is legal (even tho it should be).

PS: i'm sure a few guys on the site will help you out eagerly. :)

Yeah, bait, SBR's and cans are all good to go from what I'm reading. Would be a nice excuse to spring for a thermal scope, but not in the budget. Would gladly spring for a predator call though. Any advice on models to be looking at? And same question for live traps?

No real experience, sorry... but i know that predators like movement. If you can spring for one, I would get one of those stereos with the dancing mouse. However it won't do much good without the thermal... maybe get some motion lights and set them up around some bait.
You can buy battery pack motion detection lights for like $20 a piece.

Ps: I think you will be more effective hunting them than trapping them.

Try an electronic caller while lying up for them at night.
I'd try to use a 12ga/4 buck but have a rifle at hand too.
Probably get some infra-red motion detect cameras that are linked to your phone too and have a plan.
Good luck.

Why are there dogs roaming? Where I grew up wandering dogs took the long dirt nap. Can't let dogs roam in the country.

There are certainly large live capture traps. We caught a dog in one once (and took it back to the owner with a warning. City people that thought roaming dogs were just fine.)

You could kill the trapped coyote in the morning. Bait it with chicken or better yet something stinky.

Good luck.

I've got an electric call you can borrow.

I'm always down for a yote hunt too.

A long beam flashlight will work to stop them dead in their tracks usually.

I've never hunted using thermal or IR but that would be a great option to use in your situation.

Hi all -

Just lost two more cats tonight to a GD coyote in my yard, have already lost a plethora of other cats, ducks, and chickens, and tired of watching my family be upset over their pets getting killed.

Anybody got some better suggestions for coyote repellent than the stupid Humane Society guidelines which are the only thing that come up when you google this? Any ideas up to and including how to successfully give those A-holes a case of lead poisoning would be more than welcome.

Out here in Columbia county we have a county trapper that deals with problem animals. Many times he will put them down. If they give you too much trouble. My dogs have always kept the coyotes away even though they are thick out here. I do have a e caller you could borrow and a crazy electric squirrel thing. I have found a dog bark sound will stop yotes on the run and a short moo sound for deer . It's worked for me anyway. Good luck, hope you get em.

What calibers do you have to work with ? You could put a cat under a laundry basket and wait . :eek: Just kidding !

Be thankful you don't live in Portland.

Yes, they are widespread inside the city due to dumbass city garbage regulations.

The only thing legal you can do in Utopia is to get into a Kumbaya sing-along with the yotes and homeless.
:s0091: :s0056::s0136: :s0139: :s0033:

I've got an electric call you can borrow.

I'm always down for a yote hunt too.

A long beam flashlight will work to stop them dead in their tracks usually.

I've never hunted using thermal or IR but that would be a great option to use in your situation.

That's very generous of you, thank you! Another member here is already loaning me a caller. However, I only have so much time I can actually spend sitting out trying to get them myself. If you or others are interested in a target rich environment to come shoot some yotes, shoot me a message, would love to arrange a Coyote Jihad.

Last Edited:
Out here in Columbia county we have a county trapper that deals with problem animals. Many times he will put them down. If they give you too much trouble. My dogs have always kept the coyotes away even though they are thick out here. I do have a e caller you could borrow and a crazy electric squirrel thing. I have found a dog bark sound will stop yotes on the run and a short moo sound for deer . It's worked for me anyway. Good luck, hope you get em.

What calibers do you have to work with ? You could put a cat under a laundry basket and wait . :eek: Just kidding !

This is an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of reaching out to the county. Will see what I can learn!

Btw guys - I'm pretty blown away by and extremely appreciative of the outpouring of advice, support, offers to loan gear, and offers to come help! Pretty awesome community we have going here - you guys rock!

I've had it out for them ever since I could hear 40+ howl at once and some little girl came to my door inquiring about a missing cat the next day...
We've got your back on this one! :)

If you or others are interested in a target rich environment to come shoot some yotes, shoot me a message, would love to arrange a Coyote Jihad.

Normally one would not find many Jihadists on this website. But a Coyote Jihadist? I doubt you will have much trouble finding a few of them here.

coyote.jpg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads