JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not new to hunting in general, but this'll be my first year hunting yotes.

Curious what you all are doing to bring them in and after the fact with your kill.

Anyone eating the meat? If so, any concern of trich?

Are you selling off whole animals? Selling off just hides? If you're selling hides are you doing anything more than just freezing them before they're purchased? If you're only skinning what are you doing with the remaining carcass?

What calls are you liking and been successful with?

Looking to glean all I can from those with experience. Yes, I'm also doing research outside the forum as well.

I live in a warm area where the coyotes do not grow a thick winter pelt. they are next to worthless for fur. I have tanned a couple for projects, but most become worm food. I don't eat coyotes and I don't eat dogs.
Here they are shot to help control numbers and to protect livestock.
If you live and hunt in places that stay below freezing, and the longer it stays below freezing the better the winter hair grows in. the coyotes grow a full winter coat that includes hollow hairs that act as insulation. those are valuable winter furs. in those areas you will have local fur buyers. Contact those buyers for how they want the pelts packed for sale. DR

I tan the hides and sell or trade them.
While meat is meat....and I would eat a coyote if I was hungry enough....I haven't ever been that hungry...:D

I usually just bury the meat / entrails.
Haven't used any calls....all of my coyote kills have been on coyotes that have been raiding a friend's farm.
No need for calls , when he already has a dinner bell of chickens , calves and other young animals.
Andy

All mine just get tossed in the brush and I'm definitely not eating one! I use a small hand call called the critter call. I've tried the fancy fox pros and always go back to my hand call.
I'm a hand caller too. I like that every call is slightly different. Not a recording that endlessly repeats. DR

All mine just get tossed in the brush and I'm definitely not eating one!
All of mine (at least those I have shot in the past) didn't even get tossed but just left where they were and I cannot imagine the thought of eating one. I have never heard of anyone doing so, as they are just nasty doglike creatures that stink.

Last time I looked 'yote fur prices were way down over what they had been in years past and there hadn't been much market for them but I do not know about the current status.

I cooked one up once. Juuuuust once. Stringy, greasy, lean and flat out nasty. Grilled, smoked, slow-cooked, stewed or brined, there was nothing I could do to make it even somewhat pleasing.

Now I just leave them where they die, unless they are too close to the goat barn or chicken coop, then I drag them to the back 40.

All of mine (at least those I have shot in the past) didn't even get tossed but just left where they were and I cannot imagine the thought of eating one. I have never heard of anyone doing so, as they are just nasty doglike creatures that stink.

Last time I looked 'yote fur prices were way down over what they had been in years past and there hadn't been much market for them but I do not know about the current status.
Been reading more and more, that guys are actually starting to use coyote meat as substitutions for other predator meats like bear. Supposedly not bad.

I actually met a guy today who used to eat coyote with his uncle when he was a teenager. Im always down for trying anything once. I think a lot of the 🤢 about eating yote is cultural.

Been reading more and more, that guys are actually starting to use coyote meat as substitutions for other predator meats like bear. Supposedly not bad.

I actually met a guy today who used to eat coyote with his uncle when he was a teenager. Im always down for trying anything once. I think a lot of the 🤢 about eating yote is cultural.
never had 'yote, but the bear I have had has only been pleasing to eat if harvested during the right time of year, when they have been fattening up mostly on veg. Gt them during the lean times when they are eating mostly meat and they are not quite as good, at least the way I have had them prepared. If you know a good recipe for carnivore I bet there are a lot of curious people here who would love to know how it is done.

Last Edited:
1707625486914.png

Aloha, Mark

I cooked one up once. Juuuuust once. Stringy, greasy, lean and flat out nasty. Grilled, smoked, slow-cooked, stewed or brined, there was nothing I could do to make it even somewhat pleasing.

Now I just leave them where they die, unless they are too close to the goat barn or chicken coop, then I drag them to the back 40.
You think any of that is factored from diet like with big game?

I had a old sheep farmer I worked for that wanted the coyotes brought to a certain spot on the farm and stacked up like cord wood....guess he wanted to make sure I was doing my job

never had 'yote, but the bear I have had has only been pleasing to eat if harvested during the right time of year, when they have been fattening up mostly on veg. Gt them during the lean times when they are eating mostly meet and they are not quite as good, at least the way I have had them prepared. If you know a good recipe for carnivore I bet there are a lot of curious people here who would love to know how it is done.
Still sorting out some of my carnivore recipes. I plan on trying the coyote in at least a stew or chilli just to see.

Good pelt I skin em an make hats. Crappy average pelt.. tie em to the fence upside down as a warning. Went from 15+ a year to 1 here since hanging them on fence now the neighbors have coyote problems.

Good pelt I skin em an make hats. Crappy average pelt.. tie em to the fence upside down as a warning. Went from 15+ a year to 1 here since hanging them on fence now the neighbors have coyote problems.
I've heard that does work. One old boy in scotts mills used to do that. I couldn't even tell ya how many I've killed over the years

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews