JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I prefer a hand call myself, I find the thickest area I can quietly get into and call really soft. I use my 12ga with #4 buck(lots of time i will pack a rifle too). I avoid calling on really windy days and avoid calling big open areas unless I'm working at night. Pay close attention to what your wind is doing, I don't wear camo or scent blocking cloths.....just be still as possible. When you shoot the first coyote that comes in go strait into a kyyy yiii and chances are this time of the year there is another close by. I've killed lots of doubles using that method.....up to 7 in 1 stand!

just about anywhere in eastern Oregon and you should get some action. Same for western Oregon but I dont see them as much here.
Just wait till after the general elk seasons are over its illegal to hunt during those without a tag for those, see Pg 19.

just about anywhere in eastern Oregon and you should get some action. Same for western Oregon but I dont see them as much here.
Just wait till after the general elk seasons are over its illegal to hunt during those without a tag for those, see Pg 19.
It's alot thicker here.....we have alot of programs over east so my suggestion would be to hunt a county with no trapper or aerial program....ie lake county

It's alot thicker here.....we have alot of programs over east so my suggestion would be to hunt a county with no trapper or aerial program....ie lake county
yeah it is a lot thicker here, im hoping to dabble in getting into some predator hunting but will start out where I hunt out here, its just different habitat has different skills to learn. I rarely see coyotes out here and maybe once a year hear a howl. Whenever I hunt in Eastern Oregon I almost always hear the yotes howling most trips at least once... its just too long a drive for a coyote hunt but would get one started out successfully easier IMO.

yeah it is a lot thicker here, im hoping to dabble in getting into some predator hunting but will start out where I hunt out here, its just different habitat has different skills to learn. I rarely see coyotes out here and maybe once a year hear a howl. Whenever I hunt in Eastern Oregon I almost always hear the yotes howling most trips at least once... its just too long a drive for a coyote hunt but would get one started out successfully easier IMO.
Make sure you buy your bear and couger tags....I've had both come in multiple times. My set time is typically alot longer over east than it is here. Here I only give it about 10 min and move on.

Make sure you buy your bear and couger tags....I've had both come in multiple times. My set time is typically alot longer over east than it is here. Here I only give it about 10 min and move on.
My primary interest in predator hunting is a large cougar in one of my deer spots. I have all tags, and will cull any predator that comes in but my focus personally is learning to hunt the cat. Im hoping i can get out there before fawns drop in the spring but ive also got a handlod development project distracting me...

It's legal to bait cougars in oregon. Get yourself some beaver and hang it up in a tree. Set a trail cam that sends pics to your phone, when the cats comes to feed go call it in. Cutting a fresh track in the snow and walking it down and setting up and calling. Give it 30 + min for cats.....they come in slow most of the time

It's legal to bait cougars in oregon. Get yourself some beaver and hang it up in a tree. Set a trail cam that sends pics to your phone, when the cats comes to feed go call it in. Cutting a fresh track in the snow and walking it down and setting up and calling. Give it 30 + min for cats.....they come in slow most of the time
noted. If I have more questions I will start a thread.

As far as coyotes out here (western ore/coast range) my guess is the same predator call would call one in if its around?

20231119_112715.jpg

The first thing I look for is prey animals. If there are lots of rodents, I will find coyotes. If I'm hiking and see piles of rabbit pellets, I'll find coyotes.
If I was looking for new places to hunt, I would be buying raffle tickets from every 4H or FFA kid I saw. they all raise animals and all know someone that has coyotes.
If you can find a Chicken ranch or turkey ranch they all have a pit out back where they dump the dead birds. [ great places to hunt over].
One of my best spots is just out of a subdivision. I park at the end of a cul-de-sac and hike out about a mile. The Coyotes are feeding on pets and pet food left out in the houses. From this spot I have a take down rifle and keep it hidden in my pack. it keeps from upsetting the Soccer Moms in the houses.
The hikers that start from the same trail think I am a wildlife photographer. DR

Watch craigslist for a fox pro. Males of most species tend to get stupid during breeding season. End of the summer when the young get kicked out they are uneducated, hungry And more likely to come in to calls. Where the prey are plentiful the predators will be. Turkey calls draw more than just turkeys. Pick a rifle you can afford to shoot and get confident at 300+ yards. Be patient the learning curve is steep. Eastern Oregon where there's lots of rabbits or turkeys or roads where animals cross that have high road kills.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top