JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just a wire about a foot or so off the ground connected to a pulse type electric box. It uses very little electricity until the coyote grounds it - low voltage high amp. Normally used to keep livestock from getting under the fence. We had a dog that was marking his territory and peed on the wire. He wouldn't go near the fence for years afterward. Think low power taser/stun gun.
Negative reenforcement for sure. Still, I feel for the dog.

It was set up to keep the cattle and calves in. I never thought that our dog would choose it to mark his territory.

We had a neighbor dog that would pee on all four of my Dad's hubcaps every night. My Dad got tired of it an connected a 4-5 amp battery charger - positive to last hubcap, negative to a wire mesh on the ground. We heard him that night howling. Never had it happen again.

low voltage high amp.

Hmmm, must be a different bit of gear... most fence charge units are low amp... it's amperage that kills. 50ma across the heart is all it takes. Fence units control the flow to limit current.

BTW: My folks lived for awhile in Phelan Calif, not too far from Victorville. It's desert. At night sometimes the dog, male golden retriever, would go crazy... coyotes sent a female in heat up to their chain link fence. When the flood lights came on they could see 8-12 yotes just out of direct light, waiting. Lots of glowing red eyes out there!

When we were wintering on the BLM lands near Quartzsite, many dogs were taken by coyotes. Dogs of all sizes. Warnings were given by the rangers at the check-in but people don't listen. I was walking my dog on leash just before bedtime when something went wizzing by... a large dog... guy was out throwing a ball for his German Wirehair. I warned him, but he said his dog was large enough he wasn't concerned. I tried to give him the facts of pack attack behavior. He blew me off. 2 days later I saw a pic of his dog on the notice board with MISSING written. Broke my heart!

Last Edited:
Hmmm, must be a different bit of gear... most fence charge units are low amp... it's amperage that kills. 50ma across the heart is all it takes. Fence units control the flow to limit current.

BTW: My folks lived for awhile in Pheland Calif, not too far from Victorville. It's desert. At night sometimes the dog, male golden retriever, would go crazy... coyotes sent a female in heat up to their chain link fence. When the flood lights came on they could see 8-12 yotes just out of direct light, waiting. Lots of glowing red eyes out there!

When we were wintering on the BLM lands near Quartzsite, many dogs were taken by coyotes. Dogs of all sizes. Warnings were given by the rangers at the check-in but people don't listen. I was walking my dog on leash just before bedtime when something went wizzing by... a large dog... guy was out throwing a ball for his German Wirehair. I warned him, but he said his dog was large enough he wasn't concerned. I tried to give him the facts of pack attack behavior. He blew me off. 2 days later I saw a pic of his dog on the notice board with MISSING written. Broke my heart!
My bad, I got them reversed. Pretty bad since I worked for an Electric Utility for 25+ years - lol.

I killed a raccoon who had just killed one of my urban chickens with a pellet rifle I bought to shoot rats. Kinda surprised me. Nice and quiet.

That is one well trained raccoon, seeing how he stole your pellet gun and killed your chicken with it. Who knew? I bet the rats put him up to it. So how did you kill the raccoon that was armed with your pellet gun? Superior firepower I would guess.:cool: Sentence structure eludes many of us at times.

That is one well trained raccoon, seeing how he stole your pellet gun and killed your chicken with it. Who knew? I bet the rats put him up to it. So how did you kill the raccoon that was armed with your pellet gun? Superior firepower I would guess.:cool: Sentence structure eludes many of us at times.
(Sigh)

(Sigh) I was a bit surprised when he stole my pellet rifle, but I killed him anyway.

3cf55d36ae4fb2b34fd0402e49a5ff51.jpg

I'm totally surprised you admit that!! LOL

But do you remember Ohm's Law? E=MCHammered. :D

Full disclosure: I've worked with/in electronics since I was 10.
Wasn't an electrician or lineman, mostly Health Physics (Radiation Protection) at Nuclear Power plants. Ask me about Bremsstrahlung and I can explain it - part of my avatar.

I know all the animal rights people will go through the roof.. But when i was younger we had a very bad coyote problem out in the desert. My dad had turkey farm. So we took a sick turkey or chicken and staked it out in a safe place and let it call out. The Coyote's came in every night to get it. We just sat back and picked them off. I remember we got five in one night. Over a week we had 17... it helped allot. for a while... Maybe something like this.. a coyote call ...

Just be careful with electric fenses and country engineering.
I had a good friend in school who lost his older brother who was around 5/6 years old at the time to a neighbors homemade electric fence.
The kids were playing in a sprinkler and he fell against the fence. Cooked his heart before the parents got to him.

Just be careful with electric fenses and country engineering.
I had a good friend in school who lost his older brother who was around 5/6 years old at the time to a neighbors homemade electric fence.
The kids were playing in a sprinkler and he fell against the fence. Cooked his heart before the parents got to him.

And old fashioned worm getters: two metal rods and an extension cord. I made sure I unplugged before stepping out to gather the earthworms.

Sad story tho. Real fence controllers have limiting circuitry. To use anything else is folly. I wouldn't risk my animals much less kids!!!

There's a lot of studies done on what happens when a Coyote pack is disrupted by aggressive hunting or trapping.

Here's an excerpt explaining that eliminating only a few from the pack generates an increase in the next litter.

"
Why don't coyote-killing programs work?
They are ineffective.
It is extremely difficult to ensure that the problem-causing coyote(s) will be the one(s) located and killed

• Coyotes removed from an area will quickly be replaced by others. Coyote pairs hold territories, which leaves single coyotes ("floaters") constantly looking for new places to call home.
  • If attractants in a neighborhood are not removed (e.g., pet food, garbage, etc.) new coyotes in an area can quickly become "nuisance" coyotes.
They won't reduce coyote populations.
  • Research suggests that when aggressively controlled, coyotes can increase their reproductive rate by breeding at an earlier age and having larger litters, with a higher survival rate among young. This allows coyote populations to quickly bounce back, even when as much as 70 percent of their numbers are removed.
  • It is nearly impossible to completely eradicate coyotes from an area. Despite bounties and large-scale efforts to kill coyotes over the last 100 years, coyotes have in fact expanded their range throughout the U.S. and Canada tremendously. One study even found that killing 75 percent of a coyote population every year for 50 years would still not exterminate the population."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiKwp6eu-XdAhWjOn0KHVi0CCcQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/coyotes/tips/against_killing_coyotes.html&usg=AOvVaw0B0mpVGL9qmMFQFoO78iCP

I see this was compiled by HSUS
probably the worst assn. next to PETA
for "Ethical" treatment of animals.
HSUS pockets tons of $$ from gullible people who are taken by their help a pet programs with the sorry tear jerker photos of mangy dogs and cats missing an eye or some other ghastly looking injury.
As I've been informed they only spend about 10% on animal welfare the rest lines their pockets!
PETA has been known to raid research laboratories, trashing the place and releasing all the animals many starving to death or being run over on the streets.
Boy do they really love animals!

Don't believe me do your searches of past antics of PETA, you may have to go back a ways but probably by now the MSM has scrubbed the news files. From back when they were still telling the news rather then spinning it!

It is known that Coyote populations shrink in times of famine when the small game that they hunt have become hard to find. The females will not come into season, and many of the pups will starve. This can be a cyclic thing, brought on by extremes in weather such as drought, or severe winter weather that kills much of the rodent populations.

Old Mother Nature can be a ruthless old hag.
We've been in a drought here in SW Oregon for years and I don't know if we're out of it yet. So they will turn to finding alternative food sources, garbage cans, pet food left out for kitty or puppy, or for kitty or puppy, as long as they are small enough for the Yodel Dogs to easily kill and eat!
The Indians call the Coyote,
"The Trickster" because he is so canny and able to live in some very harsh conditions because he has a pretty good brain and can figure things out for himself.
I saw proof of that just a few days ago on animal planet TV a coyote saw some otters with a large fish and that one dove under the snow and ice and knew that the otter had hidden it. Next thing you know he had figured out where and did the snow high dive and came out with their fish probably a 15 pound one maybe heavier. I think it was a salmon.

Smart critter the coyote! They have my respect.:s0158::s0072:
My:s0159:
Gabby

'

Last Edited:

My next older brother did that when he was young, never did it again! Quick study you might say! I almost forgot, it wasn't an approved pulse type electric fence, it was charged by the coil off a car possibly a Model A. LOL
If you've ever gotten bit by a spark wire you have an idea what it's like, but if I'm not mistaken the coil wire is hotter! One of you mechanics can correct me, I won't mind.

True story.
Gabby

Road kill deer staked out down to the ground with fence so coyotes gotta chew n eat dead deer thru the fence wire squares so they cant haul it off.
Let be for a night check see if they start feeding on it.
Then come out next day before night bury the hell out of big traps all around the dead dear .

Leg hold traps???? No.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads