JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This will probably garner some negative response, but when I hunted coy and varmints I used a 3x scoped AR15 1/12" twist using either 55gr SP (handloads) or 193 ball. Either did the trick, whatever they say about FMJ. Prior to the AR15 I used a 4x scoped Ruger 180 mini-14. Hand-held "dying rabbit" call. Burned a lot of VN-era mil-surp 5.56 that way.
Well it does work but he wants to keep the pelts so the less holes the better (no exit hole). As long as the shot placement is good the ball or SP's will work just fine for his purpose.

This is not an anti coyote shooting comment. That said, what's the point? Killing for the thrill? Is there really that much of a market for pelts? Do people eat them? I understand prairie dog shooting, I've never quite grasped coyotes.

This is not an anti coyote shooting comment. That said, what's the point? Killing for the thrill? Is there really that much of a market for pelts? Do people eat them? I understand prairie dog shooting, I've never quite grasped coyotes.

Around the house, because they eat my chickens. I also enjoy going down on the palouse and the scablands and shooting them. It's another excuse to get outdoors in the winter and practice shooting at all distances.

They go after various livestock, newly dropped calves in the field if we don't get to them in time.

Gotta keep the dog population in check...

Shooting a Coyote just takes a second. It's a lot 'years' of time and work to hunt coyotes along with equipment and years of acquired knowledge, just for a 1 second trigger pull. There is satifaction from doing your job good, but that Hardly thrill killing .
They get pretty large and aggressive in Pack size and you need to thin-out a few in areas from the packs that run their routes every year. They kill chickens, turkeys, pets, find calves the cows stash in the brush at night, they even go right inside the barns and kill .

They also prey on deer and antelope fawns, and can be hard on game birds as well. In my neighborhood a number of house cats and small pet dogs have also "mysteriously disappeared".

Coyotes decimate deer, elk and pronghorn fawns. I dont hunt them myself. There is no shortage of them so many big game hunters hunt them in the off season especially in the spring when the fawns drop.

Do people eat them, now this is the interesting part.

They also prey on deer and antelope fawns, and can be hard on game birds as well. In my neighborhood a number of house cats and small pet dogs have also "mysteriously disappeared".
The "Disappearing cats" syndrome afflicts our neighborhood in "Small Town America"... I live on the edge of town- the wildlands start at my south property boundary- and cats have disappeared around here as long as Ive lived here- and one can often hear the coys barking and yapping...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top