JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could put a cat under a laundry basket and wait . :eek: Just kidding !
Actually, I have heard that the 'yotes can't resist the "mama" call from a kitten. Before you accuse me of all sorts of heinous things, I am not advocating baiting the 'yotes with expendable kittens. The 'yote doesn't get the cat - that's you're there for. (Maybe a recording of a kitten calling for mama?) I love cats, and hate the 'yotes because they got a cat I was really attached to. I would LOVE to go Jihadi on the 'yotes but am unable to get away from obligations and medical appts. In 1981 I built a carbine that was pretty much a perfect gun for them: Baby Sako in 6x45mm, which would even work for deer if one would keep range limitations in mind. I lived where I could shoot in the Great Outdoors then.

I like where your heads at! Just need to get a Democrat voters list and you probably have a 50/50 chance of reaching a crazy Christine Ford.....err I mean cat lady. This could work :D

Been researching more this morning. I want a Trijicon Thermal now.

Trijicon® Electro Optics | REAP-IR Mini Thermal Scope
or
Trijicon® Electro Optics | SNIPE-IR Thermal Clip On Scope

Operation 'save the kitties' has commenced :cool:

I will also run a parallel operation entitled 'save the pennies', just in case.
Whatever it takes!
I will rely on the gofundme, since my penny plan is tied up in other stuff. ;)

There's a lot of studies done on what happens when a Coyote pack is disrupted by aggressive hunting or trapping.

Here's an excerpt explaining that eliminating only a few from the pack generates an increase in the next litter.

"
Why don't coyote-killing programs work?
They are ineffective.
It is extremely difficult to ensure that the problem-causing coyote(s) will be the one(s) located and killed

• Coyotes removed from an area will quickly be replaced by others. Coyote pairs hold territories, which leaves single coyotes ("floaters") constantly looking for new places to call home.
  • If attractants in a neighborhood are not removed (e.g., pet food, garbage, etc.) new coyotes in an area can quickly become "nuisance" coyotes.
They won't reduce coyote populations.
  • Research suggests that when aggressively controlled, coyotes can increase their reproductive rate by breeding at an earlier age and having larger litters, with a higher survival rate among young. This allows coyote populations to quickly bounce back, even when as much as 70 percent of their numbers are removed.
  • It is nearly impossible to completely eradicate coyotes from an area. Despite bounties and large-scale efforts to kill coyotes over the last 100 years, coyotes have in fact expanded their range throughout the U.S. and Canada tremendously. One study even found that killing 75 percent of a coyote population every year for 50 years would still not exterminate the population."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...coyotes.html&usg=AOvVaw0B0mpVGL9qmMFQFoO78iCP

There's a lot of studies done on what happens when a Coyote pack is disrupted by aggressive hunting or trapping.

Here's an excerpt explaining that eliminating only a few from the pack generates an increase in the next litter.

"
Why don't coyote-killing programs work?
They are ineffective.
It is extremely difficult to ensure that the problem-causing coyote(s) will be the one(s) located and killed

• Coyotes removed from an area will quickly be replaced by others. Coyote pairs hold territories, which leaves single coyotes ("floaters") constantly looking for new places to call home.
  • If attractants in a neighborhood are not removed (e.g., pet food, garbage, etc.) new coyotes in an area can quickly become "nuisance" coyotes.
They won't reduce coyote populations.
  • Research suggests that when aggressively controlled, coyotes can increase their reproductive rate by breeding at an earlier age and having larger litters, with a higher survival rate among young. This allows coyote populations to quickly bounce back, even when as much as 70 percent of their numbers are removed.
  • It is nearly impossible to completely eradicate coyotes from an area. Despite bounties and large-scale efforts to kill coyotes over the last 100 years, coyotes have in fact expanded their range throughout the U.S. and Canada tremendously. One study even found that killing 75 percent of a coyote population every year for 50 years would still not exterminate the population."
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiKwp6eu-XdAhWjOn0KHVi0CCcQFjAAegQIAxAB&url=http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/coyotes/tips/against_killing_coyotes.html&usg=AOvVaw0B0mpVGL9qmMFQFoO78iCP
Who 'performs' these studies?

I just did a little digging on some of the source material. The guy who wrote the book this article was adapted from is the Director for HSUS's Urban Wildlife Programs. HSUS = About Us : The Humane Society of the United States

He is/was an adjunct Professor at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University at the Northern Virginia Center. Primatology, Anthropology with a minor in Psychology. He is trying to bend perception. I'd wager he is a crazed leftist that thinks wolves should be allowed to hang out in your backyard. Guarantee he would be screaming for you to hang if he ever found out you were a proponent of S.S.andS.

The article is kinda funny. Here is a snippet with a few short comments from yours truly.

Can we relocate coyotes?
Although it may seem like a more humane alternative, relocating coyotes is not a good idea.

• Relocating a coyote is most often a death sentence for that animal. SO?
  • Coyotes are very territorial and occupy large home ranges up to 40 square miles. If you live in ki-yote territory, you are a second class citizen! That ain't your land someone else built that.
  • If relocated, they will do almost anything to get back home. And?
  • Unfamiliar with their new terrain, they are often killed by cars. Not seeing a problem here.
  • They can be injured or killed during territorial disputes with coyotes already established in the area that they are released in. Win win then.
Also stated in the article the more coyotes you kill the more their population increases. So are they worried about an out of control rise in the coyote population or do they just not want the meanies to kill them? I could go on an mark up the whole piece but if you can't see the type of person that is behind this article I don't think you will by a few more words from me.

Remember folks these are the same people who want cougars to be so numerous that we will continue to have more and more interactions with them. Worked out great here recently:
Cougar attack suspected in death of missing Oregon hiker found near Mount Hood

Cougar attack in Washington kills 1 biker, injures another

In this instance with coyote's we are usually only talking about losing dog's, cats and maybe some livestock. Will the pacifists be happy when the coyote finally loses it's fear of man and comes after children? Swallow leftist propaganda at your own peril.......

I have no love for Coyotes, but I understand that trying to eliminate a few won't solve the problem.
Feral and domesticated cats kill a lot of birds, what was once thought to be upwards in the millions every year and recent studies are now raising that estimate into the billions. The only way to protect a small pet is to keep it inside.
I had barn cats when I lived on a farm and the ones that survived the longest were very smart and tough.

I have no love for Coyotes, but I understand that trying to eliminate a few won't solve the problem.
Feral and domesticated cats kill a lot of birds, what was once thought to be upwards in the millions every year and recent studies are now raising that estimate into the billions. The only way to protect a small pet is to keep it inside.
I had barn cats when I lived on a farm and the ones that survived the longest were very smart and tough.
This isn't about wildlife management anymore.
It's about having a good time hunting some coyotes and getting revenge for RangerEric's cat...

Why aren't you calling them in the day time?
Working in the dark is too iffy.
They will be just as dead if shot while the sun is up.
A live trap needs to be long enough that the yote can't back out of it when the trap door closes, I'd suggest a length of 3ft would be minimum.
I trapped Coyotes in AZ and used female dog in heat urine, if you have a female dog pen her up in a airline type travel crate for a few hours,. Prep first by attaching a sardine or tuna can to a suitable stick, a 4 to 6ft dowel rod works. As soon as she squats, you have to get that clean can under her faucet, and catch as much as you can. Any female juice will be good but if she's in heat all the better.
We used paper cups with a spike stuck thru the bottom and filled with old sun dried cow manure, as a wick, You need to have the scent in a spray bottle so you can add some now and then to keep the scent active. We didn't have to worry where I was trapping about roaming dogs, and placing a carefully buried #3 leg hold trap with the bait positioned so that when the coyote lifted its leg to squirt on the bait, they would be pretty sure to step on the trap. Their urine just makes the scent that much better.
You can add a little water Distilled, no chlorine from city water, dead giveaway!
If you have dogs and cats that may trip your trap, one of the large Havaheart live traps is what the DR ordered.
You can expect to find anything from possums on up, including those sweet striped kitties. Make sure you have something to cover it so you can transport them to a safe place to release or shoot the critter. Covering them helps to calm them, and acts as a shield against nasty smelly stuff.
LOL

BTW
B
i
t
c
h
is the correct term for a female dog bubble gum isn't needed unless it's prefaced with
Son Of A
and Dog by itself is male
Uh Oh what happens if I write
"Son of a Dog" ? Nothing!
If I called you a Son of a dog would you still want to punch me in the nose?
Maybe or not?

Last Edited:
So. Having same issues here. Mostly our sheep. I dinged the population a dew years back. Coyotes getting bolder and attacking in the day.

Finally putting together a coyote specific gun. Mini 30 shooting 7.62x39 rounds. Fixed 4x scope coming in a day or so.

Looking to put chickens in cages, lambs in sealed pens, and using a call.

USDA may be available to send a trapper to curb numbers.

Humane traps, properly baited *might* work.

Get an idea where neighbors are and safe directions to shoot.

I would second jbett98's comments about the cats.

If your cats are actually "family pets" rather than feral or barn cats, then by letting them roam around outside you are essentially making them part of the food chain. I mean, it sucks that the coyotes got your cats, but that's not a terribly surprising thing around these parts when cats are allowed to roam freely.

Aside from that, cats that are allowed to wonder around outside have a much greater chance of contracting various diseases, getting into fights, and increasing the already high population of feral cats. They also become more susceptible to transmitting certain diseases like toxoplasmosis, giardia, roundworm and ringworm to their human owners. This happens tens of thousands of times every year, and can largely be prevented.

I guess what I'm saying is, for cats that are truly "family pets" the outdoors isn't really the best place for them.

YMMV.

Last Edited:
I can donate to the cause.

I have a few flavors of ghillie suits if that helps to match the scenery for sitting out in the open, some scent covers, and a new electronic call. Anyone that wants to scoop them up and drive to @RangerEric 's place to put to use is my guest. Otherwise I will just use them for halloween and pretend I am @Stomper yelling at kids as they walk past to stay off my lawn!

I could probable send you off with some 5.56, but what I have the most of is 62-grain green tip so that might not be ideal.

I always have eye and ear protection for the taking as well!

I can donate to the cause.

I have a few flavors of ghillie suits if that helps to match the scenery for sitting out in the open, some scent covers, and a new electronic call. Anyone that wants to scoop them up and drive to @RangerEric 's place to put to use is my guest. Otherwise I will just use them for halloween and pretend I am @Stomper yelling at kids as they walk past to stay off my lawn!

I could probable send you off with some 5.56, but what I have the most of is 62-grain green tip so that might not be ideal.

I always have eye and ear protection for the taking as well!

Dang, I was just in Banks earlier today..! I get back that direction a few times a month, maybe we can connect on the next trip, or somebody else up in that area wants to come out hunting..! Much appreciated sir!

Why aren't you calling them in the day time?
Working in the dark is too iffy.
They will be just as dead if shot while the sun is up.
A live trap needs to be long enough that the yote can't back out of it when the trap door closes, I'd suggest a length of 3ft would be minimum.
I trapped Coyotes in AZ and used female dog in heat urine, if you have a female dog pen her up in a airline type travel crate for a few hours,. Prep first by attaching a sardine or tuna can to a suitable stick, a 4 to 6ft dowel rod works. As soon as she squats, you have to get that clean can under her faucet, and catch as much as you can. Any female juice will be good but if she's in heat all the better.
We used paper cups with a spike stuck thru the bottom and filled with old sun dried cow manure, as a wick, You need to have the scent in a spray bottle so you can add some now and then to keep the scent active. We didn't have to worry where I was trapping about roaming dogs, and placing a carefully buried #3 leg hold trap with the bait positioned so that when the coyote lifted its leg to squirt on the bait, they would be pretty sure to step on the trap. Their urine just makes the scent that much better.
You can add a little water Distilled, no chlorine from city water, dead giveaway!
If you have dogs and cats that may trip your trap, one of the large Havaheart live traps is what the DR ordered.
You can expect to find anything from possums on up, including those sweet striped kitties. Make sure you have something to cover it so you can transport them to a safe place to release or shoot the critter. Covering them helps to calm them, and acts as a shield against nasty smelly stuff.
LOL

BTW
B
i
t
c
h
is the correct term for a female dog bubble gum isn't needed unless it's prefaced with
Son Of A
and Dog by itself is male
Uh Oh what happens if I write
"Son of a Dog" ? Nothing!
If I called you a Son of a dog would you still want to punch me in the nose?
Maybe or not?
I like this! @RangerEric -- Do you want to organize a weekend "clean-up" activity to give them hell after those that have had a chance to get in during the week? I have read from the beginning of the post and a bit fuzzy on the layout of the property. I could make time to be there Friday night or Saturday and bring some pork bait and the other goodies if no one comes by to scoop them up first.

Can someone articulate distances and backdrops so I can infer calibers that would be appropriate? I have lots of buckshot to share if we can get them in closer and someone can try the 10+1 870 and 12+1 1100 12 gauges I have listed for sale. They need some exercise!

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top