JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
how big is your muffin top? that's going to dictate carry method more than anything, but big guys *can* carry in a forward-of-the-hip fashion. I'm no dainty waife myself, I carry at 1:30-2 o'clock almost exclusively. The pocket where your belly, your FUPA, and your leg come together is a good place to stuff a gun. It will hide pretty naturally there, and be almost as comfortable as 3 o'clock carry if your holster isn't trash.

Otherwise, there is strong side 3 o'clock or behind the hip 4 o'clock carry, though behind the hip carry sucks when you're seated. I carried there for a looong time before going to modified AIWB. I blame it partially for why my lower back and hip are fubar. I won't even carry my wallet in my back pocket anymore, let alone carry a gun behind the hip.

Shoulder holsters are a viable option as well, and so long as you don't have tactical titties to compliment your muffin top, you probably won't have any problems with that rig.

As for which gun to carry - whichever gun you shoot the best with. That is - which group keeps you on a pie plate at reasonable self defense distances, that you can shoot quickly with? That's the gun to pick, as they are all reliable, functional guns. My own bias is to the M&P, because that's what I carry daily for now. But I'd rock any of the guns you mentioned, though I'd prefer the G23 was a G19 instead.

It's not my hands. It's my muffin top.
The Glock 23, being the shortest of your three guns, may be the easiest to find a fit for with a muffin top. Holsters that carry the gun slanted instead of perpendicular are also likely to be easiest to accommodate to various curves. Also, there are probably a million holster options for the Glock.

There are actually four variables-- the gun, the degree of slant from perpendicular when holstered, where your waste band hits relative to muffin top, and where holster carries gun relative to belt (which can be mostly at, mostly below, or somewhat above belt).

If you are currently wearing jeans or pants that ride low underneath muffin top, that might work only with a holster that carries gun mostly below belt. If you have top of gun buried in muffin top it just isn't going to feel good. If instead your style of pants or jeans have a long waist so belt is above muffin top, look for holsters that carry gun at or somewhat above belt.

You can tell where the holster carries gun by looking at where belt grooves are compared with where the gun sits in the holster.

I'm assuming you are wearing jeans/pants that are low cut; otherwise you probably wouldn't use the term muffin top. You might find you need to change your pant/jeans style to full size that puts belt above muffin top. You might get one pair of jeans in whatever style is different from what you usually wear to try along with the various holsters you try.

As for which gun to carry - whichever gun you shoot the best with. That is - which group keeps you on a pie plate at reasonable self defense distances, that you can shoot quickly with? That's the gun to pick, as they are all reliable, functional guns. My own bias is to the M&P, because that's what I carry daily for now. But I'd rock any of the guns you mentioned, though I'd prefer the G23 was a G19 instead.
Good advice here. I too carry the M&P 9C. It is surprising how well it shoots. I also prefer the ergonomics of the M&P.
Tried a lot of inside the pants holsters but I find the outside waist band is much more comfortable.

And as far as the "muffin top" is concerned. Working out will get rid of that.

Looking for a little advice.
... Worth what you are paying for it.

How is your day? Do you sit all day? Drive all day? Walk around. In and out of a vehicle? Office Chair? At home, or in an Sheeple-zone?
What other EDC do you have? radios, lights, batons, dog...

All of these and others will affect your decisions.

To start, have a good "gun" belt.

Get a good belt too. Regular belts will twist and bend which allows the holster to lean out away from the body and/or move around a lot. A concealed carry belt has reinforcement that will keep it from doing this. I have one made by Bladetech that looks like an ordinary belt. I've worn it daily for close to 20 years now and it's held up great. Since I haven't bought one in a few years I probably can't recommend the latest greatest choices but I'm sure a few other members will speak up about what's good and what's not these days. I can say that I'm glad I spent a few dollars more on a good quality belt. The same goes for holsters. Do not get a cheap cloth holster like an Uncle Mikes. It's a waste of money. You will wear it maybe 3 times and then never again.

edit: Just noticed that Ric mentioned that an hour ago in the post right above mine. Well, he's right. :)

Last Edited:
And as far as the "muffin top" is concerned. Working out will get rid of that.
Losing weight usually requires a major change in diet. Working out is not sufficient and may have little influence. And however losing weight is managed, it usually takes a while.

OP needs a solution for how to carry now, not some day in the future when he is some other shape.

Losing weight usually requires a major change in diet. Working out is not sufficient and may have little influence. And however losing weight is managed, it usually takes a while.

OP needs a solution for how to carry now, not some day in the future when he is some other shape.
Not too worried about it. In my opinion if you're carrying a gun you should be physically fit as well. I know that will make some individuals mad but it's my opinion. I was simply implying that if you lost weight, carrying would be more comfortable and you would have more options in regards to placement. I know you can't just loose weight overnight and it takes time. I appreciate the lesson though.

Not too worried about it. In my opinion if you're carrying a gun you should be physically fit as well. I know that will make some individuals mad but it's my opinion. I was simply implying that if you lost weight, carrying would be more comfortable and you would have more options in regards to placement. I know you can't just loose weight overnight and it takes time. I appreciate the lesson though.
There are lots of things we should all do. OP is asking about carrying, not how to be a better person.

There are lots of things we should all do. OP is asking about carrying, not how to be a better person.
That's fair. And in my opinion the two go hand in hand. We can all be better. Myself included. In no way was I trying to insult the OP. If I did that was not my intention.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top