JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Cool. Its an ok option if it's all you have but I like to have plans set in place way before that. I don't wear leather belts and the belt I wear is stiff enough that it would be a struggle to get it tight enough to stop a bleed.
I always carry a 4" knife when outdoors plus wear clothes. So I can make an ideal tourniquet in seconds. I also always carry a ball point pen for writing with, but which could also be used as the winder stick to control tightening and loosening of tourniquet. A bandana, often carried for other purposes including dust or covid mask or wash cloth, can also be a tourniquet.

When I think of muffins, I'm NOT thinking of males!!!
Hmmm. Yeah. I think "muffin top" usually is used to describe the extra roll of flesh and fat that rolls over the waist band on a slightly plump female. Exactly the same thing on a male is usually called "love handles." A "beer belly" is usually much more extreme and is usually applied to males, although I think it may also sometimes be applied to females, especially those for whom beer is likely involved.

"Muffin top" clearly describes appearance of the bulge. What about "love handles"? well, I think fit men frequently developed them after marrying, back in the days when women usually cooked for their husbands and families. So a single man might go from irregular or minimal or poor meals to much better and more regular food when he married. This was an era in which cooking was from scratch. It meant starting with a chicken running around outdoors, some apples, some flour and sugar and yeast, and a few spices, and ending up with a roast chicken with biscuits and gravy and apple pie for desert.

Hmmm. Yeah. I think "muffin top" usually is used to describe the extra roll of flesh and fat that rolls over the waist band on a slightly plump female. Exactly the same thing on a male is usually called "love handles." A "beer belly" is usually much more extreme and is usually applied to males, although I think it may also sometimes be applied to females, especially those for whom beer is likely involved.

"Muffin top" clearly describes appearance of the bulge. What about "love handles"? well, I think fit men frequently developed them after marrying, back in the days when women usually cooked for their husbands and families. So a single man might go from irregular or minimal or poor meals to much better and more regular food when he married. This was an era in which cooking was from scratch. It meant starting with a chicken running around outdoors, some apples, some flour and sugar and yeast, and a few spices, and ending up with a roast chicken with biscuits and gravy and apple pie for desert.
Whoosh, oof.

Lolz, I'm not gonna mansplain it out either. But I'm sure you know how guys think and what grade level their humor is at...

I think I've made maybe three pies my entire life. Couldn't even tell you what kind they were. Apple, I think one must have been apple. I remember now because it wasn't very good. 😬

I think I've made maybe three pies my entire life. Couldn't even tell you what kind they were. Apple, I think one must have been apple. I remember now because it wasn't very good. 😬
Way back when I was in my early 20s, my then GF tried to teach me how to make pies from scratch. Mixed the dough, can't remember if it had to rise, I rolled it out, it stuck to the roller, I added more water or flour, again I can't remember, and this went on ad infinitum until she said uh uh start over. It was something I permanently gave up, but her mom owned a newspaper and I really miss those press passes to Virginia Slims tennis tourneys, Riverside Raceway, etc.

I always carry a 4" knife when outdoors plus wear clothes. So I can make an ideal tourniquet in seconds. I also always carry a ball point pen for writing with, but which could also be used as the winder stick to control tightening and loosening of tourniquet. A bandana, often carried for other purposes including dust or covid mask or wash cloth, can also be a tourniquet.
If you have full confidence in that then go for it. I'll continue to carry a piece of equipment that was made specifically for stopping the bleed. Which can be applied without having to cut/source other material. Arterial bleeds don't give you much time. Seconds. Time is all that matters to me.

Edit: I would be interested in watching someone who has been shot in the arm (rendering it unusable) pull a knife, cut a strip of clothing, wrap it around their arm, wind it up with a pen (or whatever long object) to effectively stop a bleed. All while using only one arm. All of this being done while adrenaline and blood is pumping out of ones body.

Last Edited:
If you have full confidence in that then go for it. I'll continue to carry a piece of equipment that was made specifically for stopping the bleed. Which can be applied without having to cut/source other material. Arterial bleeds don't give you much time. Seconds. Time is all that matters to me.

Edit: I would be interested in watching someone who has been shot in the arm (rendering it unusable) pull a knife, cut a strip of clothing, wrap it around their arm, wind it up with a pen (or whatever long object) to effectively stop a bleed. All while using only one arm. All of this being done while adrenaline and blood is pumping out of ones body.
Along the same line of thinking, you should carry a backup gun in the event that your primary takes a dump from the muffins.

The odds of any of us one, needing to use our gun, two actually using it, and three, taking a hit and having subdued the perp, have the time or necessary training to apply a tourniquet is minimal at best. You might as well "invest" in the lottery.

Do you have your minimal first aid training up to date?

Along the same line of thinking, you should carry a backup gun in the event that your primary takes a dump from the muffins.

The odds of any of us one, needing to use our gun, two actually using it, and three, taking a hit and having subdued the perp, have the time or necessary training to apply a tourniquet is minimal at best. You might as well "invest" in the lottery.

CPR is pretty straight forward….. I also was taught a decent amount of medical while in the Marines. I don't live in complacency and justify not doing things because the probability of it happening is low. If that is the case I wouldn't carry a gun, a knife, a tourniquet, or an IFAk in my rig. Proper planning prevents piss poor performance. We don't have to all be the same. But I am my own first response. I take it seriously.

My thinking about tourniquets actually assumes the victim is someone else such as in a car accident where I am a nearby pedestrian or in nearby car. I haven't been thinking of gunshot wounds or myself as the possible victim. Weird. If it were a gunshot wound or several and I was the victim, I might not have the two functional arms and hands it would take to make a tourniquet with a knife and clothes, even if I had time.

Okay. Any suggestions about a compact tourniquet that would take up minimal space in a fanny pack?

As for carrying two guns, not usually workable for me. Not unless hunting. I carry guns so they can't fall out.

My thinking about tourniquets actually assumes the victim is someone else such as in a car accident where I am a nearby pedestrian or in nearby car. I haven't been thinking of gunshot wounds or myself as the possible victim. Weird. If it were a gunshot wound or several and I was the victim, I might not have the two functional arms and hands it would take to make a tourniquet with a knife and clothes, even if I had time.

Okay. Any suggestions about a compact tourniquet that would take up minimal space in a fanny pack?

As for carrying two guns, not usually workable for me. Not unless hunting. I carry guns so they can't fall out.
I carry a CAT-T in my back pocket with a homemade clip attachment. There are many options though. That is just the one we carried in the Corps so I am most familiar with it.

My main reason for carrying a TQ is for me or my family if something were to go south. Although I would definitely use it to prevent the death of another whether it be a car accident, shooter, accident, ect. Although if you shoot at me I won't be applying a TQ on you though. Sorry not sorry.

Last Edited:
I carry a CAT-T in my back pocket with a homemade clip attachment. There are many options though. That is just the one we carried in the Corps so I am most familiar with it.

My main reason for carrying a TQ is for me or my family if something were to go south. Although I would definitely use it to prevent the death of another whether it be a car accident, shooter, accident, ect. Although if you shoot at me I won't be applying a TQ on you though. Sorry not sorry.
Right. If I were forced to shoot someone, I wouldn't be rendering first aid either. Various reasons, including it wouldn't be safe to be close unless bad guy was dead.

"muffin top" :s0140: most of the guys I associate with these days it's more likely to be full fledged dunlop syndrome.
Ya know, used to have big chest but now lops over belt. :s0030:

Right. If I were forced to shoot someone, I wouldn't be rendering first aid either. Various reasons, including it wouldn't be safe to be close unless bad guy was dead.
The idea isn't applying it to the guy you shot - its to save the life of an innocent who got shot, or maybe yourself. You probably won't be administering it to yourself - but a bystander could.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top