JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lightbox...

IMG_5073.JPG IMG_5071.JPG IMG_5076.JPG IMG_5075.JPG

Flash is the evil
Outdoors in the shade against a solid-ish background works-

VapCKp.jpg

Indoors, if you have no additional light, move yourself around the gun the see where the ambient light best shows the gun- sometimes wedging something under the gun to lift it a centimeter or two, angled off the background can help reduce harsh reflections of direct light and stop yourself casting a shadow over the gun..
Decide what "style" of picture- some people like verything visible and sharp, I like shadows and softness....I always underexpose a bit.
VOgp9U.jpg VOguQh.jpg DSCF0007.jpg
vr1d0x-jpg.767995

A lot depends on how much control you have over your camera, aperture especially, and what software you have to play with.
- same pic:
DSCF5959_1.jpg

cropped, color balance played with, softened up a bit...and now looking oddly purple...get that next time
DSCF5959.jpg

Completely cut out the bits you don't like......

valtro2.jpg

and don't tell anyone about the 1000's of other pics you took to get 3 that were passable...

Screen Shot 2020-12-08 at 1.13.28 AM.png

Last Edited:
Flash is the evil
Outdoors in the shade against a solid-ish background works-

View attachment 788922

Indoors, if you have no additional light, move yourself around the gun the see where the ambient light best shows the gun- sometimes wedging something under the gun to lift it a centimeter or two, angled off the background can help reduce harsh reflections of direct light and stop yourself casting a shadow over the gun..
Decide what "style" of picture- some people like verything visible and sharp, I like shadows and softness....I always underexpose a bit.
View attachment 788898View attachment 788899View attachment 788908
vr1d0x-jpg.767995

A lot depends on how much control you have over your camera, aperture especially, and what software you have to play with.
- same pic:
View attachment 788909

cropped, color balance played with, softened up a bit...and now looking oddly purple...get that next time
View attachment 788910

Completely cut out the bits you don't like......

View attachment 788911

and don't tell anyone about the 1000's of other pics you took to get 3 that were passable...

View attachment 788913
Lmao ain't that the truth

I hate using a flash, natural indirect sunlight is best.

IMG_6861.JPG

Get as close to the subject as possible so you do not have to zoom in, this will produce a clearer image.

IMG_8099..jpg

Get really close if you want the details.

IMG_8122.JPG

Last Edited:
Any object photography is still life.

Plenty of tutorials around on that topic - from painting and drawing to photography.

Many of us now have online meetings and are using/getting circle lights for that purpose. Those work well for still life and are inexpensive.
Recommended.
Just a quick example, I don't have this one, just want to clarify what I was talking about.
https://smile.amazon.com/Auxiwa-Sel...s=ring+light+smartphone&qid=1607881980&sr=8-1

1. Composition - the most important thing
2. Lighting
3. Get a pretty girl to model. (optional)

If you want a book, try this one - it is on "black Friday" sales. I got the electronic only version they offered a few years ago. They do have a dead tree edition.

Playboy Penguin's thread

This really is a good thread for information. I have tried to get good pictures and either take enough that one them has to be good or I just tell my wife what I need and she takes them. Kind of a hobby for her and it keeps her interested in guns as well.

I built my light box frame from pieces of PVC pipe, covered it with a clean white bed sheet, put spiral fluorescent bulbs in a pair of flexible-neck desk lamps and placed one on either side, and used a black T-shirt as a backdrop. Hardly 'professional', but it was cheap and I like experimenting.

Oh I could bust out my photo box, my lighting stands and make some really amazing photos with the DSLR.

Why? The camera on new phones (don't use your flip phone) take good enough photos for the internet.

Except in the dark, in a car.

701639CF-3670-48C7-8796-2F508EED645A.jpeg

Oh I could bust out my photo box, my lighting stands and make some really amazing photos with the DSLR.

Why? The camera on new phones (don't use your flip phone) take good enough photos for the internet.

I agree. Why break out the 6MP DSLR when I carry a phone that does anywhere from 8 to 108MP? A blank sheet of paper for a backdrop and a little Photoshopping...

BlowedUp.jpg

Not a great image by any stretch of the imagination, but I like the way it turned out.

6?
We are up to mid 20's now.
A 12Mp is on most phones.
Yea sensor technology has changed a lot. Some 2014 DSLRs had 36MP. MP aren't that important though for many uses as you said above. I actually still like some of the photos from my 3MP point and shoot camera made in 2002 (example below). 8dfc06d60adf4f969cf2e599f25bb607 (1).jpg

Last Edited:
Yea sensor technology has changed a lot. Some 2014 DSLRs had 36MP. MP aren't that important though for many uses as you said above. I actually still like some of the photos from my 3MP point and shoot camera made in 2002 (example below).View attachment 794859
I shoot with a 24Mp.
We can over think stuff sometimes and that's why I like cell phone cameras. I don't always (and you know this too) need these 52 metering points, aperture settings, light sampling and focal distances.

nah, click, done.

Photography is mostly about light, not hardware. My photos improved dramatically when I stopped being a gear hound and started carefully thinking about light and when and where the light would be ideal for the type of impression I wanted the photo to present.

Rule #1 in firearm photography...
For the love of all that is good in this world...
Keep your nasty toe jam crusted crap kickers out of the frame!

15B5AE02-F694-4493-BC7F-C1DD1A603F43.png
I have to confess I like shooting pics of my firearms almost as much as actual range time. A simple digital camera and outdoor light work for me. Lots of shots of before and after a Cerakote facelift for the cosmeticly challenged project pieces that seem to follow me home. Not every one is a keeper but you get better with practice.

me too... ive probably shot more pictures than bullets:s0108:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads