JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Photography is mostly about light, not hardware. My photos improved dramatically when I stopped being a gear hound and started carefully thinking about light and when and where the light would be ideal for the type of impression I wanted the photo to present.
Agree! For me I would also say composition is even more important than light. Cartier-Bresson, one of the most famous photographers, made some of the most memorable photos mainly due to composition (and timing in his case cuz he photographed ppl on the street). Composition is the last thing ppl think about imo but may be the most important in making a nice image, or an image with impact (personal opinion).

With a photo of a single gun and nothing else in the frame though I suppose composition is less important. Angles and position in the frame do make a difference though I think. I like some of the pics poeple posted above where thought was put into the various objects in the pic.

FYI here is a quick and dirty article on basics of composition in case anyone is interested. Of course some things wouldn't apply to a simple still life type photo but it's surprising how much better an image will be if a person can incorporate some of these in even a simple gun photo (fe rule of thirds, triangles, leading lines, fill the frame, balance).

Last Edited:
My DSLR is at least 12 years old, hence the 6MP. I don't use it much any more since I get better pics with the phone.

My DSLR does ok:
View attachment 794990

But it's never done this.
View attachment 794991
It would be fun to take pics of the same gun with phone, point and shoot, and dslr just for comparison. I might do it if I get time. Kinda depends on what ur going for though I guess, Fe a simple image for a sale ad vs "art".

It would be fun to take pics of the same gun with phone, point and shoot, and dslr just for comparison. I might do it if I get time. Kinda depends on what ur going for though I guess, Fe a simple image for a sale ad vs "art".

That would be fun. I might try something similar. Got an idea I want to try, anyway...

Cool ammo pic!

Thanks! Here's a couple more of the same pile o' boolits, but a little too dark.
DSC_1173.jpg DSC_1174.jpg

I was just reading an old thread on Calguns today about this same topi:

Nice thread, even mentions the same DSLR that I have, the Nikon D70s. My lightbox/lighting setup is like the picture in that thread, but only about half the size and I just have two lights. I was using a kitchen counter as my 'studio' and space was very limited. :D

Even less space, these days. :confused:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads