JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Some years back someone started a tutorial thread of how to photograph a gun. Anyone recall that thread or perhaps have link to it? It was very informative and recently I was taking gun pics and realize the images were crap and I need a refresher course. Thanks in advance.
Crappy picture....
P_20201205_161841.jpg

Better picture...
P_20201205_161652.jpg

Some years back someone started a tutorial thread of how to photograph a gun. Anyone recall that thread or perhaps have link to it? It was very informative and recently I was taking gun pics and realize the images were crap and I need a refresher course. Thanks in advance.
Crappy picture....
View attachment 788083

Better picture...
View attachment 788084
Finding the focus knob a good start now for the tricky stuff like lighting and exposure.

NO dust
NO fingerprints
NO shmutz
NO unintended shadows
NO unintended glare/reflection
NO scratches/dents/rust (that's what photoshop is for...removing the warts)

Remember... the backdrop is important as well., so keep your toes out of the shot!
Take the time to do it right, don't rush.
Avoid ultra sharp focus, that can be very hard to get right, soften it up just a hair.

It's not all entirely about the camera.

cellphone and MSpaint
upload_2015-6-15_15-50-35.png

That's NO, as in zero, nada, zilch, none.
Unless you intend to... y'know.... to get all artsy-fartsy

Last Edited:
Good thread idea! This could be a long discussion if u want to make really, really good pics probably. But in terms of keeping it simple, I would do what the "product photographers" do. U know, those pics of gadgets for sale in professional ads etc. I'm no expert on that at all but I think usually they put it in a light box which makes a lot of diffused light all around the object they r photographing. U can make a simple light box or buy an inexpensive one.

Also depends on what kind of camera and flash u are using to some extent. For example u can use a basic point and shoot camera and use the camera's flash to trigger a more powerful, off camera flash for the light box (or other light diffuser if not using a light box). A good quality, powerful off-camera flash can be found for $30-$40 used or about $65 new.

I'm going to selling my Jericho pistol soon and if I get time I could try some stuff out and post here just for giggles if there is interest in seeing what does and doesn't work.

Last Edited:
Two major tips:

Use a background that is similar in darkness to the gun's color. If you use a white sheet the camera will meter off of that bright sheet and will underexposed the gun itself so it appears black and featureless.

Use a tripod or support to prevent blurry photos.

I like a soft background (sometimes), you don't want the background to pull your eye off the subject. Natural lighting, when you can get it. If not, use a dedicated photo light. Relatively cheap on amazon. Use a photo editing software, I like Adobe Photoshop Elements, great for cropping, light level, color balance, and file size suitable for what you are doing with your image, email or print size, etc. I don't have an expensive camera, an old Sony 16 megapixel point an shoot pocket camera. I use a tripod a lot, I'm a bit shaky and the tripod makes for nice focused clear images.

Distressed Burnt Bronze.JPG DSC04726.JPG DSC04727.JPG 357 Cover2 (Medium).JPG 10-22 Kidd.jpg

I have to confess I like shooting pics of my firearms almost as much as actual range time. A simple digital camera and outdoor light work for me. Lots of shots of before and after a Cerakote facelift for the cosmeticly challenged project pieces that seem to follow me home. Not every one is a keeper but you get better with practice. PA161320.jpg 21A.jpg P3062256.JPG a1894After.JPG PC062646.JPG S&W PD1.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top