JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
shotsodaycalibri.jpg

The ability to shoot is maybe the biggest factor IMHO. I have a bit of expertise in that area from decades of competing and winning along with hour upon hour of teaching in my career. The mechanical part is covered for me. That being established in my mind I carry a 45 99% of the time though with the civil unrest seeming to be on the increase I am considering going to the 9 MM for simply higher round count though a could just pick a 45 PARA out of the safe and carry it as well as my High Power.

Greg

I use my knowledge of the human anatomy. If possible, aim for the threats' left side - you have the heart and then the spleen (very visceral - bleeds a lot) below it. You can live without a spleen if removed surgically but a ruptured spleen is as bad as a punctured femoral artery - bleed out in less than a minute, most cases. I carry 357 SIG (soon to phase out) and 9mm Luger depending on what I am wearing. Practice shooting what you carry and know where you impacts go.

I use my knowledge of the human anatomy. If possible, aim for the threats' left side - you have the heart and then the spleen (very visceral - bleeds a lot) below it. You can live without a spleen if removed surgically but a ruptured spleen is as bad as a punctured femoral artery - bleed out in less than a minute, most cases. I carry 357 SIG (soon to phase out) and 9mm Luger depending on what I am wearing. Practice shooting what you carry and know where you impacts go.
Just shoot them in the pelvis. That is after they have 2 in their chest.

Just aim for the top of the zipper, that should put the round right on the ole nutsack... :s0012:

That oughta drop 'em for sure...
My favorite failure to stop drill. 2 to the chest and 1 to the pelvis. A good ol fashion F-CK you!

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Seems the daily news is full of all kinds of violence and its only getting worse.

Part of one's well being is planning on staying away from possibly bad areas and situations. Along the same lines, a person is able to choose the tools for the job when all is well (currently sitting at home in the recliner). When the chips are down though, the ability to make choices of what tools to use might not exist; at that time you have the tool in your tool belt and thats all.

To specifics. Many years ago I carried a Smith & Wesson 1076. Piece of junk gun, but 10mm is very formidable round. There have been a lot of changes in ammunition in recent years, enough so that many people and agencies are moving away from 40 S&W in favor of the 9mm. This kinda makes me concerned. There have also recently been a lot of the bad people with what appears to be some types of body armor as well as having and changing tactics. For me, I usually carry a 45ACP pistol. Thinking that might not be "enough" and maybe it's time to revert to the 10mm.

Anyone else feel undergunned with their current choice? Or not?

Curious to hear hour input.

View attachment 872460
It's a very good question because here the violence and break ins are nothing like just a few years ago. Its really nuts.

Anyway for me my edc gun or frequency of carry in public did not change. 5 other things changed for me though:

1) I increased my carry on my property/in yard etc. whereas just a few years ago i wouldn't think I needed it. but now you have to be prepared even in places you could formerly get away with being in a "white" condition of awareness (white meaning Col. Jeff Cooper's 4 color code, not relating to race).

2) changed location of guns in the house so that if needed can have available immediately in more places. This gave me great peace of mind when a couple weeks ago a scum was walking around with a flashlight?/glassbreaker?/both? looking in basement windows and all around base of stairs. Ring camera alerted me on my phone otherwise I wouldn't have know he was there. From camera I could see where he was on the property and I confronted him from a second story window with 12 gauge in hand which I did not show him. He left without incident but I can see similar things happening in the future and now breakins in broad daylight as well as robberies are very common. I counted 8 daylight breakins on a single day in one neighborhood here in Pdx and that is not from police reports, only from those who bother to report it on the ring neighbors app Which is only a tiny percentage of the actual # of breakins. Also we doubled the number of ring cameras cuz before they were mainly to catch package thieves and/or possible late night prowlers but now I see the benefit of having 24 hour instant alerts.

3) occasional availability of larger capacity/larger gun in vehicle (ie a "truck gun") which I didn't bother with before

4) making sure I have something with me at times where just a few years ago I wouldn't have bothered, even if it's just a little naa 22 mag revolver (not suggesting that as a replacement for edc gun).

5) added pepper stream spray (not gel) for me and mine both on our person and also larger one in cars (gives additional non lethal "tools in the toolbox").

Last Edited:
haven't really changed, but added my magnum woods revolver into the mix, not so much for raging soi-latte, man bun, skinny jeans, BLMers, but for the Ford F series they might be charging in! Besides, nothing like making your own smoke screen and blinding fireball, and doing a tactical retreat!
Outside of that, I still rock my Para double stack 10 mm, with 16+1 rounds worth of 180 gr Golden Sabers, why compromise between capacity and power when you can have both! In certain situations, I also carry a back up, usually ether a Double stack compact 9X18 Mak, or a double stack .45 compact, ether one is 12+1 capacity!
I often think of Kyle Rittenhouse, the situation he found himself in having to shoot and scoot from a very angry and out of control mob, and if he only had a pistol, what would have been different? Again, the world ain't a nice, safe place to be, and because packing a long gun is generally frowned on, were forced to carry a pistol, and why I choose the above Para, that's 49 rounds of super nasty, and that dude that got shot in the elbow would have lost his arm about 5 inches above the elbow from the massive energy dump of a expanding 180 grain hollow point in such a small area, plus, he would have had some pretty serious shrapnel trauma from his own bone being fragmented! Now, imagine a hit to the hip or shoulder, that's some pretty serious trauma!

Don't EDC a handgun with an external safety and step 2 is gone. External safeties are trash.
Yep.That safety thing could get you killed.

The SP101 doesn't have one, neither does the P-9 , the 75 does, so I don't use the safety. Those are it for carry pieces, cocking the hammer is the safety for all 3.

Thought about getting a Glock but it would just screw me up. Need to probably just get another P-9.

I grew up around wheel guns. The idea of a gun without an external safety was foreign to me.

I now have come to believe that external safeties are great for most types of weapons, but not, for me, on my EDC.

Don't EDC a handgun with an external safety and step 2 is gone. External safeties are trash.
I have never had an issue with handguns without safeties! In fact, I think most of the arguments against safety-less handguns are often exaggerated!

That being said, the anti-safety crowd is just as ridiculous! The exaggeration of how hard it is to swipe a safety off (or how much time it wastes) is just as bad as the fear of "Glock Leg!" There are some very valid reasons why external safeties exist, aside from potentially stopping a careless user from having an ND!

Like many others have said, it's just a matter of training; safety or no safety, you will be perfectly served by either if you practice frequently with whatever setup you are running!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top