JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Seems the daily news is full of all kinds of violence and its only getting worse.

Part of one's well being is planning on staying away from possibly bad areas and situations. Along the same lines, a person is able to choose the tools for the job when all is well (currently sitting at home in the recliner). When the chips are down though, the ability to make choices of what tools to use might not exist; at that time you have the tool in your tool belt and thats all.

To specifics. Many years ago I carried a Smith & Wesson 1076. Piece of junk gun, but 10mm is very formidable round. There have been a lot of changes in ammunition in recent years, enough so that many people and agencies are moving away from 40 S&W in favor of the 9mm. This kinda makes me concerned. There have also recently been a lot of the bad people with what appears to be some types of body armor as well as having and changing tactics. For me, I usually carry a 45ACP pistol. Thinking that might not be "enough" and maybe it's time to revert to the 10mm.

Anyone else feel undergunned with their current choice? Or not?

Curious to hear hour input.

View attachment 872460

It doesn't matter if the target is wearing armor is you shoot the target in the face, pelvis, legs.

I used to carry 10mm, it is a superior pistol round in many ways. Ultimately since I practiced more with 9mm due to costs of ammunition, I switched to carrying 9mm because it is more important to proficiently hit my target than to miss it with a bigger bullet.

In terms of number of rounds expelled during defensive encounters. Statistically 1 mag would handle it most of the time. That being said, I don't feel comfortable only having 1 mag though because a mag related failure could ruin your day, not to mention, I don't want to gamble that 1 mag will be enough, so two mags for me.

This rabbit hole is endless though and you have to decide where to draw the line. I could easily carry 2 spare mags for a total of three, 52 rounds total as opposed to 35, but instead of a 3rd mag I carry 5.3 Spray. You can observe a lot of societal garbage knows they can get aggressive against you without it legally being a defensive deadly force threshold. My logic is that since I can't legally shoot everybody who might be a problem, and if getting out of the situation isn't an option, I can spray them and if needed, escalate it from there.

My first method is just to avoid as much as possible the places where I would encounter societal garbage.

I carry a 2.48M Scoville:

1619622730587.png

1. The end with the hole in it goes towards the bad guy/gal.
2. Move safety to "off"
3. Put finger on trigger
4. PRESS trigger
5. Repeat as necessary

It ain't rocket surgery. :p ;) :D
It also isn't that simple when stress is introduced. This mindset of carrying a gun and shooting is "simple" is a fantasy.

I vary my carry weapons fairly often, mostly according to environmental changes. Usually it's a glock 43. Lately I've been carrying my g36 often as well. With that, you get into a size vs capacity argument, as the 36 and the g19 are roughly the same size, one carries 15-17 rounds, the other, 7. At that point, you kind of hit a point of diminishing returns. One has more capacity, and arguably less stopping power. The other, reversed.
The reality is that either are good choices. But so would a .38. Or something in 40. Or a .380 even. It's mostly going to be about two things, 1), distance, and 2), abilities.

I used to believe firepower = size of round. I evolved later to firepower = how much lead you can put downrange.

My EDC's job is to give me enough of a chance to get out of danger, or if a criminal has a rifle give me a chance to take their rifle from them.

I usually mark '/sarc" for all my jarhead (/sarc) friends... but I thought the " :p ;) :D " would tell the tale.... sorry!!!
I struggle reading and am normally better with pictures. I should have caught it but I haven't had my coffee and morning helping of crayons yet.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Seems the daily news is full of all kinds of violence and its only getting worse.

Part of one's well being is planning on staying away from possibly bad areas and situations. Along the same lines, a person is able to choose the tools for the job when all is well (currently sitting at home in the recliner). When the chips are down though, the ability to make choices of what tools to use might not exist; at that time you have the tool in your tool belt and thats all.

To specifics. Many years ago I carried a Smith & Wesson 1076. Piece of junk gun, but 10mm is very formidable round. There have been a lot of changes in ammunition in recent years, enough so that many people and agencies are moving away from 40 S&W in favor of the 9mm. This kinda makes me concerned. There have also recently been a lot of the bad people with what appears to be some types of body armor as well as having and changing tactics. For me, I usually carry a 45ACP pistol. Thinking that might not be "enough" and maybe it's time to revert to the 10mm.

Anyone else feel undergunned with their current choice? Or not?

Curious to hear hour input.

View attachment 872460
Nope. My Zavasta M57 in 7.62x25 flavor works just fine for me. Concealing it, however, proves to be far more of a challenge because I'm only 5'8" and just under 160.

I've grown into the "more rounds is better" category. I personally carry 9mm 124gr HST +P, and lots of them.

Reality is that people have been dropped on the spot with a single 380, and there are people who returned fire after having multiple 45 pumped into their torso. In the heat of defending your life you're not going to check after each round to see if it had its desired effect. You are going to keep shooting until the threat is eliminated. While I own all of these calibers, and all in concealable sizes, I still choose to carry a 9mm. YMMV

Last Edited:
I've resorted to carryng a full size social worker OWB with 2 full magazines from Psychology Today. I tried IWB the social worker, but almost got charged with assault.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top