JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The Ruger LCR .357 in my front pocket with five Hornady FTX's in it gives me all the peace of mind I need. I own other guns but thats the one I carry 99% of the time and I dont feel "under-gunned" at all.

Many of us are aware that when you look at data the average gunfight happens within about 3 yards, in 3 seconds, and lasts 3 rounds. This is the average compiled over decades and there are plenty of folks who are very happy to bet their life on this when it comes to making decisions about their carry choices.

I have not looked at the data but I would be very interested to know what the data looks like when you look at gunfights in just, say, the last 5-10 years instead of over multiple decades. Does it change significantly or is it still relatively consistent with 3/3/3?

Anecdotally, however, there seems to be a lot more variety in the types of gunfights happening today. There was a time where if you needed a gun it was likely to be for a fight of a more personal nature...a mugging or because you walked in on a convenience store robbery. But these days, bad guys are flying jet liners into buildings and blowing up marathons, and executing white males on the streets of Fresno because they're white and because religion of peace. And they're shooting up schools, and churches, and movie theaters, and grocery stores, and work Christmas parties, and nightclubs, and malls, and they're driving vans through crowds of people, etc.

It surprises me that with all the crap going on in our world that the small, single stack, short sight radius, reduced capacity, greater recoiling sub compacts that you can't get your whole hand on, have become as popular as they are. They're certainly easy to conceal and nice to carry. But given that I don't have any problems concealing a Glock 19 sized weapon, I just haven't seen a reason to make a switch to them. At the end of the day, however, they're all still pistols and pistol rounds will always be a somewhat poor fight stopper.

To that end, her's an interesting video from Tim Kennedy explaining his EDC switch to a FN 5.7 due to its ability to defeat armor and barriers.

It surprises me that with all the crap going on in our world that the small, single stack, short sight radius, reduced capacity, greater recoiling sub compacts that you can't get your whole hand on, have become as popular as they are. They're certainly easy to conceal and nice to carry. But given that I don't have any problems concealing a Glock 19 sized weapon, I just haven't seen a reason to make a switch to them. At the end of the day, however, they're all still pistols and pistol rounds will always be a somewhat poor fight stopper.

The reason is same as always. Almost everyone who is not some kind of LEO will go their entire life and never need to shoot anyone.
Next is VERY few people who start to EDC really will carry something even as large as a G19. Many when new to carry will but, in short time they either start leaving the gun at home more and more, or they get something smaller for those days they do not want to carry the larger. People get compliant because for years nothing happens. Often those who suddenly do "need a gun" are caught pants down because that was the time it was just a quick trip or such and they did not bring the gun. More power to the ones who will always carry something "good" but they are a minority.

Wouldn't mind finding a good carry 45. Held a XDE 45 and loved it wouldn't mind the mod 2 xds in 45 either.

Only 45 I can sling now is my RI 1911 standard but I've grown on the light little slims these days as they fit my attire better.

Still waiting on the day someone drops a 1.5 stack 45 package. Looking at you M&P shield plus 45....

The reason is same as always. Almost everyone who is not some kind of LEO will go their entire life and never need to shoot anyone.
Next is VERY few people who start to EDC really will carry something even as large as a G19. Many when new to carry will but, in short time they either start leaving the gun at home more and more, or they get something smaller for those days they do not want to carry the larger. People get compliant because for years nothing happens. Often those who suddenly do "need a gun" are caught pants down because that was the time it was just a quick trip or such and they did not bring the gun. More power to the ones who will always carry something "good" but they are a minority.
I agree with everything you've said. But the somewhat inconsistent logic has always perplexed me a bit. If the logic is essentially, "why bother carrying a G19 when the odds of needing more than 3 rounds is so small," then why even carry a gun in the first place since the odds of needing a gun...any gun...are so small?

But then I have a very long standing relationship with Mr. Murphy. It would be just like him to send me a situation that is anything but average. YMMV.

I agree with everything you've said. But the somewhat inconsistent logic has always perplexed me a bit. If the logic is essentially, "why bother carrying a G19 when the odds of needing more than 3 rounds is so small," then why even carry a gun in the first place since the odds of needing a gun...any gun...are so small?

But then I have a very long standing relationship with Mr. Murphy. It would be just like him to send me a situation that is anything but average. YMMV.
Now when you get into people who tell you they only "need" 3 its pretty much a lost cause. Kind of like trying to convince people who will not carry at all that they should. When I run into those who feel this way I no longer even try. Just shrug and let them do as they feel. Playing the odds almost all of them will turn out to be correct. They will end life never needing more. For me? I most often choose more. Even when I go "unarmed" to me that means I have a 6 round .380 I can drop in a pocket along with one extra mag. In the vehicle I keep an AR9 pistol. That one does make the Wife kind of roll her eye's when she see's it now and then but she no longer bothers to say anything. I am sure I will shuffle off and never need it. If for some reason I ever do? Sure as hell will be glad it was there. :D For those who think I am "strange", I really don't care or try to change their mind.

Guess I am one of the VERY few people who started to EDC carried something as large as a G19 (It was a High Power) and stayed big. Now it is CZ P-09. If I carry something small it is as a BU. Used to be a Browning .380, now a 357. It may be because my experience didn't make me complacent.

I agree folks do get that way because for years nothing happens. In my case that wasn't the case. Twice I have had to make it clear I was armed in the course of my work, and twice in my life I have unholstered to return a situation to law abiding.

Because of my apprehension of the occurrence of that 'one time' during a quick trip into a no gun zone and not having the gun, I try to not visit these areas and go through the steps of securing.

I share your lack of desire to have something smaller, but I get why others do. My thoughts in general are the most prevalent ones. Better to have one, best to be good with it. Avoidance and exiting situations quickly is the preferred means of life and ammunition preservation. Like most I think it's best for folks to do whatever keeps them comfortable and safe. Like you for myself that means more is Mo'better.

1) "Nope. My Zavasta M57 in 7.62x25 flavor works just fine for me. Concealing it, however, proves to be far more of a challenge because I'm only 5'8" and just under 160."
I am 5'7' and 170#. I have found that a TT33 conceals just fine in the front pocket of Carhartt cargo pants. Given that JHP is available, one could do a lot worse.

2) A Commander sized piece carries fine in Carhartts too.

3) Due to advanced arthritis a heavy piece is uncomfortable to carry every minute, so my bathrobe gun is a 5-shot .38.

4) 3-3-3 may be the norm, but I'm not going to bet my life on 3 rounds.

Last Edited:
You mean to tell me that posting photos and declaring insane "edc pocket dumps" doesn't count as carrying every day?!?! My definition of EDC just got shattered. I've been doing it wrong this whole time.

I have been shooting for over 45 years. When can I have an opinion on whether I want the gun in MY pants to be safety free or not?

Just asking.

Manual safeties are nothing more than mental masturbation. That's why so many firearms manufacturers stopped adding them. They offer good feelz....that's about it.

If someone needs the warm and fuzzy switch to make sure they don't ND, then they probably need a new hobby.

Last Edited:
Manual safeties are nothing more than mental masturbation. That's why have so many firearms and manufacturers stopped adding them. They offer good feelz....that's about it.

If someone needs the warm and fuzzy switch to make sure they don't ND, then they probably need a new hobby.
That's just a completely ridiculous and disrespectful comment.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top