JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Seems the daily news is full of all kinds of violence and its only getting worse.

Part of one's well being is planning on staying away from possibly bad areas and situations. Along the same lines, a person is able to choose the tools for the job when all is well (currently sitting at home in the recliner). When the chips are down though, the ability to make choices of what tools to use might not exist; at that time you have the tool in your tool belt and thats all.

To specifics. Many years ago I carried a Smith & Wesson 1076. Piece of junk gun, but 10mm is very formidable round. There have been a lot of changes in ammunition in recent years, enough so that many people and agencies are moving away from 40 S&W in favor of the 9mm. This kinda makes me concerned. There have also recently been a lot of the bad people with what appears to be some types of body armor as well as having and changing tactics. For me, I usually carry a 45ACP pistol. Thinking that might not be "enough" and maybe it's time to revert to the 10mm.

Anyone else feel undergunned with their current choice? Or not?

Curious to hear hour input.

20210427_234134.jpg

I for a LONG time used to hear stories of people who were shot with something Police would carry and not go down. I really thought it was mostly hype. That maybe it happened one time. Then it got to were cameras were everywhere. We started to see a scary amount of video of LEO's putting multiple hits in some zombie who just would not stop. I have long carried a 1911 as my favorite. I did take to using a 10 round mag in them instead of an 8. I also still of course at times have something smaller. Makes me hope even more that I never "need" it.

Training and overall ammunition are where I sit on this discussion. If they are a threat to me, or others while I'm nearby, I'm not going for body-shots. I'm going for the Vermilion Line: or the T-Slot/T-Box or whatever else they're calling it these days. I want that threat down immediately. I don't want to wait to figure out that 15-rounds of 147gr 9mm Gold Dot (what I carry now) doesn't do anything despite there being a colander-look about their upper torso after a magazine expenditure. I want the threat done and gone, and I want plenty of ammunition left over to continue the fight if there's more than one threat on the field. That kind of accuracy requires serious accuracy skill-sets. They will say that that kind of shooting was an "execution" in the MSM, but those people don't know anything about ballistics investigations.

But, all in all, my opinion really doesn't matter. That's up to you.

The long and short of what I believe is that training and not running out of ammunition does matter, in the long run.

Carry what you shoot well, and shoot well what you carry. Shot placement is paramount in stopping a threat. Disrupting the central nervous system is critical, the off switch is situated inside the cranium. Practice the Mozambique and you should be able to toggle the off switch without undue jury scrutiny. Or emptying your magazine.

Just wondering what your thoughts are.

Seems the daily news is full of all kinds of violence and its only getting worse.

Part of one's well being is planning on staying away from possibly bad areas and situations. Along the same lines, a person is able to choose the tools for the job when all is well (currently sitting at home in the recliner). When the chips are down though, the ability to make choices of what tools to use might not exist; at that time you have the tool in your tool belt and thats all.

To specifics. Many years ago I carried a Smith & Wesson 1076. Piece of junk gun, but 10mm is very formidable round. There have been a lot of changes in ammunition in recent years, enough so that many people and agencies are moving away from 40 S&W in favor of the 9mm. This kinda makes me concerned. There have also recently been a lot of the bad people with what appears to be some types of body armor as well as having and changing tactics. For me, I usually carry a 45ACP pistol. Thinking that might not be "enough" and maybe it's time to revert to the 10mm.

Anyone else feel undergunned with their current choice? Or not?

Curious to hear hour input.

View attachment 872460

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what you carry is far less important than where you land the shots.

Carry what you shoot well, and shoot well what you carry. Shot placement is paramount in stopping a threat. Disrupting the central nervous system is critical, the off switch is situated inside the cranium. Practice the Mozambique and you should be able to toggle the off switch without undue jury scrutiny. Or emptying your magazine.
+1 on the Mozambique. It is what I practice as well. I use the LAPD modified version, not coming back to low ready but using using the assessment pause to get on the 'spot'.

Nope , no changes for me.
Situational awareness and avoidance are my top two options.

As far as carrying a firearm....
I'll second what was said by nammac.
Carry what you can make hits with....and practice as often as time and expense allows for.

Something to consider here is that everyone's situation is different.
So what works for one person in one given set of circumstances may not work the next time or for you.

Practice what works for you , in your situation , and keep a adaptable mindset..'cause life ain't goin' to play by your rules.
Andy

I used to carry sub-compact 9mm. Now it's a full-size 45ACP.

But zero influence in that change from the talking heads on TV. I'm not directly bothered by "today's conditions", nor do I think there's more violence in particular. I just decided it's time to get a gun that fits my hand instead of how well it conceals.

From the article:

"A large percentage of encounters end as soon as the bad guy sees that you are armed. Merely brandishing your firearm is frequently enough to convince the bad guy to leave you alone.

...for purposes of continuing the discussion, I'm going with 90%. If we use this 90% figure, we could conclude that in at least 90% of defensive encounters, caliber doesn't matter at all and makes no difference in the outcome of the encounter.

...So what happens when a bad guy gets shot, by ANY bullet, of ANY caliber, whether it's a hollowpoint or a frangible or an FMJ, whether it's from a .500 S&W or a .22LR or something in-between? According to my evaluation of Greg Ellifritz's "An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power", the numbers are pretty consistent — approximately 60% of people who get shot, give up immediately.

...According to Ellifritz's data, approximately 60% of the encounters ended with one shot being fired, almost regardless of what handgun was used.

...Stunning, isn't it? And, yeah, my numbers may be off — in fact, I guarantee they're off. But how far off do they need to be, before it starts to make a difference? If we used John Lott's assessment that 98% of encounters ended just by brandishing a weapon, then (keeping all our other numbers the same) that would mean caliber didn't matter 99.53% of the time. So, take your pick — caliber mattered either 8% of the time, or 2.68%, or 0.47%. Whichever you go with, I'm sure you can see we're basically picking nits at this point. I'm reasonably comfortable with my middle-of-the pack estimate of 90%, and that leaves us with 2.68% of the incidents where the caliber of the gun might matter. But in any of the described scenarios, it should be obvious that the caliber of the gun is not the most important factor when discussing a successful defensive gun encounter.

...What we do know is that for this last 2.68% of defensive encounters, we're probably past the point of wondering whether our super-duper-magic-frangible bullet had enough mystical "stopping power", and we're into the category of "the bullet had better damage the bad guy's body enough that they cannot continue to threaten you." And here's where we really need to focus on shot placement first, and caliber second."

Last Edited:
Unless you are shooting some big-bore rifle cartridge at close range that will leave a melon size hole in someone you are still likely to need more than one round.

I like shooting .45 AARP :s0112: but my EDC is still a 9mm. As for people in body armor, I assume you are talking about these spree shooters. Those events are so rare that I'm not going to be adjusting my EDC for it. Also, those situations seem so chaotic that drawing my gun right away would be really dependent on my immediate threat and whether or not someone would mistake me for the bad guy. I'm not gonna alter my carry for these super rare situations. I'm also a realist who has never been in combat. I know damn well that despite any training I do my grip and form wouldn't be it's best in a situation like that so I'm gonna opt for what I know I can get back on target quickest and with decent capacity.

As it was mentioned carry what you are best with and shoot often.

It's not. What you're seeing is a reflection on the news more than on what's actually happening. Outside actual riot zones, violence has been steadily declining for a long time and will likely continue to do so. The solution to being IN a riot zone isn't to pack heavier IMO, it is to GTFO.

What you carry is irrelevant, just know how to use it. Someone with a $400 9mm or 380 and some training or range time will be in much better shape than a guy with a $3k custom 45 who has no clue how it works.

Nope. Glock 48 or Glock 45 (both 9mm). Knife. Flashlight. Tourniquet. Keeping it simple. 9mm is plenty.

What you carry is irrelevant, just know how to use it. Someone with a $400 9mm or 380 and some training or range time will be in much better shape than a guy with a $3k custom 45 who has no clue how it works.

1. The end with the hole in it goes towards the bad guy/gal.
2. Move safety to "off"
3. Put finger on trigger
4. PRESS trigger
5. Repeat as necessary

It ain't rocket surgery. :p ;) :D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA