JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Uh, guns and like training and stuff. :D

Oh wait, I have a legit question: Where do we take new shooters until the 31st (or later, if our overlords extend the curfew)? Where are good shooting spots in the forests near Seattle East Side, for example?

Talking about tutoring/mentoring noobs, nobody has yet mentioned how unsettling it can be to have an 'instructor' standing off to one side, talking on a phone that he doesn't actually have about his person. Or sat down with a gallon just of 'shine in one hand, and a toke in the other....................

All of us started somewhere...none of us started with the knowledge we have now....remember that when teaching a new gun owner.

I remember being shunned by some of the older guys at gun stores when I asked questions and this was in the 80's when I was past teenager status. The old guys were extremely opinionated (ok) and couldn't see past their own opinions. It was almost like a "club" and I wasn't welcome.
I've also seen young jackwads working a gun counter exuding arrogance to the point that I left.

It seems like the gun guys have a history of being arrogant. And Rude.

I've found that when I'm helping or teaching someone I learn from them, if I'm paying attention. I learn about their point of view and I learn a little about myself.

The only thing concerning guns that I'm a hard bubblegum about is safety. The rest is fluff!

Where are good shooting spots in the forests
I'm glad mine is nearby!
YGUN6693[1].jpeg

Yesterday after school...
I stopped in at Skagit arms....they were very busy.
Lots of bare spots in the ammo section and looks like lots of guns were sold.

Spent some time with a soon to be new gun owner...he was buying a shotgun for defense.
Lots of questions ....hopefully my answers helped him out , without me sounding like a rude know it all.

Working with him was a bit of a eye opener as some of his initial thoughts , comments and questions were so alien to me....
I went slow and focused on safety and just how to handle and care for the shotgun.
( A Mossberg 500 with a 24 inch barrel )
He was a shorter guy and the length of pull and overall size of the gun , seemed to fit him well...
He was a bit concerned that since the gun wasn't black "like Army and Police" guns that it wouldn't work for home defense.....
We got the last box of buck shot , some #4 shot and a couple boxes of 7 1/2 shot.

I am not sure if I won any hearts and minds ....but I did feel better helping out a guy who was totally out of his wheel house as the saying goes.
Andy

Uh, guns and like training and stuff. :D

Oh wait, I have a legit question: Where do we take new shooters until the 31st (or later, if our overlords extend the curfew)? Where are good shooting spots in the forests near Seattle East Side, for example?
Good question since State and DNR lands are closed as well as going out and meeting in groups!

Another interesting point. Although Pawn Shop/Gun Stores are still open ( Lending Institutions ) no background checks are being processed so you may be able to still buy ammo but not guns.

Good question since State and DNR lands are closed as well as going out and meeting in groups!

Washington closed the woods? The forest? The PUBLIC land? You can't drive out in the boonies on a dirt road and get out of your car and walk into the forest?

Spent some time with soon to be new gun owner...he was buying a shotgun for defense.
Lots of questions ....hopefully my answers helped him out , without me sounding like a rude know it all.

Now way Andy. No way I have EVER heard you come even close to sounding like a rude know-it-all. Sometimes, on some things, I think you might actually be "The" real know-it-all. Really. :s0114:

All of us started somewhere...none of us started with the knowledge we have now
This is true however most of us did not start out under fear, panic and duress - and based on what I am hearing (from LGS personnel) a lot of the new owners seem unconcerned about gaining much experience but just getting a gun, regardless of caliber, make or model and not entering into gun ownership as a new interest, target shooting etc. Heck many of these owners may not even be able to shoot for a while due to lack of ammo or other reasons.

I can appreciate all the positive comments about helping out any new owners but many of these new owners may be 'distanced' from any experienced gun owners and may simply not get the solid, introductory training they should have or have no plans on seeking it out on their own.

I would hope they do but from those I saw buying at the LGS it didn't seem to be of any importance.

Last Edited:
Now way Andy. No way I have EVER heard you come even close to sounding like a rude know-it-all. Sometimes, on some things, I think you might actually be "The" real know-it-all. Really. :s0114:
Thank you for the kind words Mike...
What I don't know...I make up and just say it confidently....:eek: :D
( joking 'bout that last bit...)
Andy

The most important thing is to take your time! And be firm and unyielding about safety (damn booger hooks in the trigger Gaurd is what I usually see most)

When I teach anyone brand new, they always have 100% of my attention at all times. I always start them off with the gun already prepared....with only one round in the chamber. Just to get the "first shot jitters" off the table.

One step at a time: safety, manipulation, shooting position, sight alignment, target engagement, and again manipulation.

I can appreciate all the positive comments about helping out any new owners but many of these new owners may be 'distanced' from any experienced gun owners and may simply not get the solid, introductory training they should have or have no plans on seeking it out on their own.

My "self" introduction into the world of gun ownership was approached with the same seriousness as my introduction into the world of driving a car in 1971. You know, you can't be having accidents. The car/gun can be extremely dangerous if used improperly. I didn't need to take any classes to have a solid respect for the capabilities of fire arms? You old seasoned vets of fire arm handling are far removed from all those years ago, as a "dumb" kid when you were introduced to guns. That driving thing to me is a no brainer after all these years, but I imagine the 16 YO kids could be pretty nervous about driving. But with guns we are dealing with adults that will, hopefully, take every precaution, and have the appropriate respect for firearms. We just have to look at it that way. Telling people that are looking to buy a first gun that they shouldn't unless they get training would really turn them off. I know it would have turned me of 11 years ago.

The most important thing is to take your time! And be firm and unyielding about safety (damn booger hooks in the trigger Gaurd is what I usually see most)

When I teach anyone brand new, they always have 100% of my attention at all times. I always start them off with the gun already prepared....with only one round in the chamber. Just to get the "first shot jitters" off the table.

One step at a time: safety, manipulation, shooting position, sight alignment, target engagement, and again manipulation.

A couple/three years ago we knew a couple of gals that lived together up in The Gorge that wanted to get a gun for the home. I loaded up a bag with 7/8 hand guns and went to visit them. No ammo anywhere. Wifey and I spent about three hours with them explaining semi auto function, revolver function, finger always off the trigger and the four basic rules. They handled the guns and dry fired, aimed, open/close cylinders. Worked the slides, insert/drop mags. Full sized guns, compact and sub compact. It seemed that getting a noob to guns to handle the heck out of it before even thinking of shooting it is a good thing to do.

Andy, your comment about the colour of a gun making a difference between whether or not it works for defense really IS strange. You are correct about the alien mindset of many noobs when it comes to guns and how they operate. One noob I was showing how to load and shoot my single-shot rifle was aghast when I chambered a fired case and then ejected it, to demonstrate how the action worked - he really thought that every time you put a cartridge in, you not only had to fire it, but it was dangerous to remove if you hadn't, and would somehow go off in the hand. He also believed that the louder the noise, the faster the bullet goes, which is kinda true, but not for the reason that he thought it was.

If I could shoot an egg out my arse right now.... I would! :eek:

:s0140:

Going to the store is prob easier in the long run... ;)

It seems like the gun guys have a history of being arrogant. And Rude.

It seems like SOME gun guys have a history of being arrogant. And Rude.

Please.let's not be insulting to those forum members that have a real passion for their hobby, yet do NOT act as you accuse.

The only thing concerning guns that I'm a hard bubblegum about is safety. The rest is fluff!

Well, I agree about safety having primacy. I also agree that opinions could be seen as fluff. But there are some hard cold physical traits of firearms that are set in stone. It's pretty hard to see ballistics, reloading formulas, lining up sights, having a good grip and stance, etc as being "fluff".

This is true however most of us did not start out under fear, panic and duress - and based on what I am hearing (from LGS personnel) a lot of the new owners seem unconcerned about gaining much experience but just getting a gun, regardless of caliber, make or model and not entering into gun ownership as a new interest, target shooting etc. Heck many of these owners may not even be able to shot for a while due to lack of ammo or other reasons.

I would hope they do but from those I saw buying at the LGS it didn't seem to be of any importance.

The thing is, IMO, we are not in any more danger from any particular individual new shooter as on any other day... the concern being, in my mind, that there is currently a proliferation of new shooters. This heightens the risk factor for informal settings. Going out in the woods to shoot, etc. That said, if someone buys a gun for home defense and doesn't know how to operate or shoot it, they are a risk only to themselves. I can live with that.

But with guns we are dealing with adults that will, hopefully, take every precaution, and have the appropriate respect for firearms. We just have to look at it that way. Telling people that are looking to buy a first gun that they shouldn't unless they get training would really turn them off. I know it would have turned me of 11 years ago.

You're encouraging people to he hopeful, to be optimistic. Does that really work when dealing with firearms? Or is being realistic the more prudent option? Not fatalistic, but realist.

Are there people here telling newbies not to buy a gun unless they get training? I missed that part. I know what I wrote, and that was that I am willing to train newbies in the interest of safety, plus I actually enjoy sharing and passing knowledge, and that it is impossible to teach it all in one session, and therefore, I would encourage newbies to seek additional training and watch videos. Other members are telling people not to buy unless they get trained? Really???

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top