JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Due to COVID-19 we're seeing an unprecedented number of people becoming first time gun owners, presenting an incredible opportunity. Though the reason behind it is sad, increasing the number of new gun owners is what we've been trying to do for decades. My main concern (based on my personal interactions with fellow gun owners) is that not only are we not going to take advantage of this opportunity, some of those among us are going to harm our cause. I'm creating this thread in an effort to remind everyone to stop and think about each of our interactions and consider the repercussions.

These new gun owners span the gamut of age, race, political preference, sexual orientation, etc. and, unfortunately, I know many are going to have a bad time. It's up to each and every one of us to make sure we welcome these people with open arms, help them learn how to be responsible gun owners, prove the media wrong when it comes to stereotypical gun owners, and show them how the 2nd Amendment is truly inclusive and applicable to all Americans regardless of attempts to divide us. If we do this right we'll have permanently grown our ranks after this situation improves.

• Be helpful and positive. If you're going to say something even remotely negative, shut up.
  • Be willing and available to help. Both online and in person, we're going to see these new people asking questions, going to the range, etc. Offer assistance if you're in a position to help educate.
  • Don't say "I told you so" (even though you've probably told them so). They already know you were right, check your ego and let them save face and they'll be more receptive to what you have to say.
  • Don't bring up politics unless they ask. Focus on showing them why gun ownership is important rather than preaching to them and they'll come around on their own.
  • Remember that each of us is representative of all gun owners in general. If they have a bad experience with one of us there's a good chance they'll associate that with all of us.

Feel free to add to the list ;)

All of us started somewhere...none of us started with the knowledge we have now....remember that when teaching a new gun owner.

Also it is good that we as gun owners reach out to these new folks...
After all , who do you want "teaching" new gun owners about firearms and other gun owners....the news media , and or other anti gun groups...?
Or would you rather have the information come from a kind , thoughtful gun owner...?
Andy

If at the range with or next to new shooters,
Emphasises on safety especially eye pro, most know about ears but many shooters will not wear eye protection unless forced to.

Give some pointers, that target that shows, too much finger on th e trigger, jerking the trigger, about 8 things people do wrong, eithger know it or print a copy.

Have them put the target fairly close and as they get better move it farther. Positive feedback from seeing hits us a good thing.

Even though I will help fight against required "safe storage" laws, keeping guns locked up is a really good idea. But the world of gun safes and lockable storage can be really complex. Leading new folks through quick-access safe options could be really helpful.

• Wear all the camo gear you got and tuck your BDUs into your jackboots.
  • Wear your MAGA hat.
  • Bring your .454 Casul to get em started right
  • Use 12ga shotgun with 3.5" shells, put lil lady on a stump, aiming a a watermelon 3' away, and tell her to lean waaaay back
  • Bring beer
  • And whiskey
  • And blunts
  • Show them how well you can curse
  • Call them dumbazzes when they grip a pistol ineffectively
  • Make sure you have an AD/ND on at least two of your demo draws
  • Bring .460WM with a muzzle brake
  • Tell them they don't need no stinkin headphones, rolled up cotton works fine
  • Yelling, lots of yelling to make your points heard
  • Point and shake your finger a lot!!!
Hmmmm, well, that's a good start anyway.....

:D:D:D

Last Edited:
I always do what I can to start off new shooters by having them shoot this first, with 3" buckshot of coarse.

C60F55F8-DBA9-4F73-82E5-42E35D19B692.jpeg

• Wear all the camo gear you got and tuck your BDs into your jackboots.
  • Wear your MAGA hat.
  • Bring your .454 Casul to get em started right
  • Use 12ga shotgun with 3.5" shells, put lil lady on a stump, aiming a a watermelon 3' away, and tell her to lean waaaay back
  • Bring beer
  • And whiskey
  • And blunts
  • Show them how well you can curse
  • Call them dumbazzes when they grip a pistol ineffectively
  • Make sure you have an AD/ND on at least two of your demo draws
  • Bring .460WM with a muzzle brake
  • Tell them they don't need no stinkin headphones, rolled up cotton works fine
  • Yelling, lots of yelling to make your points heard
  • Point and shake your finger a lot!!!
Hmmmm, well, that's a good start anyway.....

:D:D:D
Well dam you just took all the fun out of it.

Joe's making a reasonable request here, it's high time we look to those things that bind us, protecting our families for one. Be open to allowing others to see that we are open to new folks that have recently realized their past thinking may have been flawed.

For all the talking we've done in the past to attempt to bring others in and now CV-19 might offer a silver lining of bringing more gun owners together and all we can do is piss & moan that "they" aren't welcome?

Feel what you want but at least ponder what Joe's asking for. In other words if you don't have anything positive to say.... :)

I genuinely enjoy working with new shooters. There is something really satisfying about starting them off with good safety habits, and watching how fast they start getting good hits on targets. Most of them haven't learned any bad habits yet, and will listen to what you say, and learn from what you model. And every one of them that you get addicted to powder smoke and recoil counts as a 2a conversion, you get at least 6 points for each one!

For all the talking we've done in the past to attempt to bring others in and now CV-19 might offer a silver lining of bringing more gun owners together and all we can do is piss & moan that "they" aren't welcome?

Feel what you want but at least ponder what Joe's asking for. In other words if you don't have anything positive to say...

Not everyone is pissing and moaning... maybe 25% to as much as 50% depending on which thread. Please don't paint with such a broad brush!!!

"Shut ur pie-hole"

Rule #1.

Play nice or I'll report you to a mod!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Not everyone is pissing and moaning... maybe 25% to as much as 50% depending on which thread. Please don't paint with such a broad brush!!!
Fair enough, I did edit out the "Shut ur pie hole" that wasn't needed. I accept your rebuke.

Fair enough, I did edit out the "Shut ur pie hole" that wasn't needed. I accept your rebuke.

Very good sir.

Now, people are going to express themselves, even tho it's Joe Link doing the preaching. Others, like me, are going to be smart azzes and have some fun.

I'm sure in both cases no ill intent was meant by people expressing their own opinions. Not towards Joe Link anyway. No disrespect intended either.

Many members seem to be greatly on edge. Sad that we have been brought to this...

Last Edited:
Thanks for this post! I am a new gun owner so this is helpful for me. I would also add:

Start with the basics and don't assume they know what you know

If they purchased a specific gun and you have knowledge about it, share it with them but don't add in other guns that the person may not even know about.

Make easy to follow guides or instructions for whatever you're trying to teach and be patient with us when we don't get it the first time.

New gun owners aren't ready to start building an AR of any kind unless they have knowledge about AR's

Complaining or saying new gun owners are going to be a big problem isn't welcoming and it does create division between experienced gun owners and new gun owners. If people bridge that gap and help each other then there will not be that division.

Don't make it political. Yes, we are aware of the 2A but perhaps not in its entirety however, that doesn't mean we were anti 2A before and even if they were we should help them with patience, kindness, guidance and understanding rather than jumping to conclusions. Don't assume the new gun owners were anti 2A because you do not know their situation. What if they just turned 21 and can finally buy a firearm or just moved back from living out of the country (my case).

Be kind and don't troll

:)

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top