JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Your not the lone ranger with this problem. For years I had the best neighbor, an old lady with no pets. Then grandson inherits property after she passes away and the property goes downhill so fast it made my head spin. Then he moves his daughter in next door (bad to worst). They own five of the mangiest, stupid, and aggressive flea bitten four legged barking animals on the planet.
Got this devise from Sears and it keeps them out of the back yard and up front as far as possible from the devise. I still can hear them bark, but they don't come charging over to my property line every time they see or hear me.
Best part is that they all do their business in the front yard and away from the backyard that adjoins my property.
I keep it plugged into the ac/dc adapter and leave it on continuously.

Item# SPM2933788502 |Model# YG
$35.65 at Sears

Pepper spray would be my suggestion as well, but only if you also have a gun with you. You never know how an animal will react. Some of them would run, but some of them might get even more aggressive.

I've pepper sprayed a few dogs while bicycling before, and it seemed to have very little effect on the dogs. In fact, because the wind was blowing, I ended up blinding myself instead. Lame.

I would suggest you show your dominance for "your" territory...dogs understand that and very few will continue to intrude on your space. It sounds to me like this particular dog will back down if you do this. Put in his place, you should be able to live in peace with him. I don't mean a beat down, I mean a very firm and athoritative..GO HOME...

I agree, there are no bad dogs, only bad owners. I like dogs in general, and have had trouble with very few. If you show no fear of them, they will respect you. I had a big Dobie (my own dog) that challanged me once over food. I kicked him in the jaw so hard he tumbled over backwards...never challanged me again, ever, for food or anything else.

instead of freeking out that its a pit bull why dont you get a dog crate and feed the dog get it used to you then crate it and take it to a shelter as long as he does not have tag's
??

^ He does have tags

I finally reached a animal control officer today. They said they will make an anonymous stop by and warn them to keep him on their property or face penelties. We do have leash laws and dogs cannot just run around peoples yards.

I really resent some of the comments that say I have to show no fear, I learned to fear dogs when I was 6, got bit real bad, that doesn't go away just because I know I should show no fear. Also, some folks say "He doesn't bite", well, not that you know of! There is no way I should have any responsibility to avoid being bitten by someone else's dog, that is all on the owners!
I love dogs, we have a yorky mix, she bites me occasionally, draws blood too. I know she loves me, and I love her enough to force myself to not kill her. If she was as big and powerful as a PB I would never put up with it. I've had neighbors whose big dogs have killed my small kittens, and I really love my cats. It's not right that they get away with that.

I would have no problem with telling the dog to "Go Home!" If the dog was aggressive towards me I would have no problem getting more serious, and quickly. If I were to make a decision ahead of time about a "tool" with which to deal with an aggressive dog and it wasn't a firearm, I think I'd pick a baseball bat.
If there is a leash law and you're not getting too much help from animal control, document it and go to them.
If the neighbors are scum and you can't get any help from them or the animal control, then it may be time for the covert methods.
All of the above is assuming that the dog is aggressive. Nothing I've read makes me think it is any more trouble than any other male dog.
Also, the officers that said you can't do anything until you are attacked are morons. Aggressive dog on my property, in violation of a leash law repeatedly, acting aggressive towards myself or my family members....I'd be the one doing the attacking.

I have a house next door who for lack of a better terms "family" owns a tiger-striped pitbull and let it run loose. It's a male with prominant balls so I assume it is not neutered. There have been several cases where I have been in my frontyard and it has either silently crept up or goes unseen until I notice it rooting around my frontyard or sideyard. Happens about once a month. Once it was even late at night and I didnt see him until I was only about 10-15 feet away in the dark.

Today I was wrenching under my hood in my driveway, sure enough the dog started running around my frontyard and locked eyes with me while standing broadside and peeing next to the car I was currently working on. The dog then left my property so I retrieved a handgun and put it in my toolbox as a precaution. I finished working on the car and called 911 as I have tried about 5-6 times to have animal control do something about them letting it roam my neighborhood at all hours. I have yet to speak to a live animal control officer. They are hard to get ahold of apperantly.

Long story short, the dispatcher asked about weapons present and I said yes. At that point she got serious and told me officers were on the way. I then put the handgun back in my house and waited. I was approched in my own driveway and told to show my hands & then patted down against my truck. The two responding officers and I talked for about a half hour and did not reach an agreement on what to do. They basically told me until he literally starts biting me I am SOL as far as defending myself or others in my driveway and can be held liable if I kill an "innocent dog". Their answer was to call 911 if/when I get attcked. They didn't like when I told them police take minutes to arrive and large dogs can kill in less time.

I've grown up around and owned weims, german shepards, a golden retriever and a chocolate lab/springer spainiel mix so I love dogs and don't want to shoot one for no reason. I witnessed two pits kill one another a year ago so I know how they kill. They clamp throats and hold on until the victim bleeds out. Not how I want to die...

Dealing directly with the owner of the dog is out of the question. What would you do? I am in city limits.

Being searched on my own property would concern me nearly as much as the dog. Shouldn't matter if you were armed on your own property, city limits or not. I would obtain a copy of the police report and have a discussion with someone at the department!

^ He does have tags

I finally reached a animal control officer today. They said they will make an anonymous stop by and warn them to keep him on their property or face penelties. We do have leash laws and dogs cannot just run around peoples yards.

i was about 7 and got bit in the face by of all dogs a jack russel
i have been around all kinds of pit bulls and a few were rescue abused dogs as well.
me i would feed him make good friends with him and he might like you more then the folks that own him
and he just might mind you more then them in some case's

I really resent some of the comments that say I have to show no fear, I learned to fear dogs when I was 6, got bit real bad, that doesn't go away just because I know I should show no fear. Also, some folks say "He doesn't bite", well, not that you know of! There is no way I should have any responsibility to avoid being bitten by someone else's dog, that is all on the owners!
I love dogs, we have a yorky mix, she bites me occasionally, draws blood too. I know she loves me, and I love her enough to force myself to not kill her. If she was as big and powerful as a PB I would never put up with it. I've had neighbors whose big dogs have killed my small kittens, and I really love my cats. It's not right that they get away with that.

First,carracer,thank you.It took all these posts for someone to question getting frisked in his own yard
Yes there is weapons,this is AMERICA and I have the right o have weapons to defend myself on my own property!!!

Anyways

WOW

I was always afraid of dogs."Sheba" was a beautiful German Shepard.A AKC picture perfect example of one. Except,she became a LEO because of her aggression.This was the 60's

Now I have a Rottweiler and have no fear of dogs or tolerance for ANY biting.That yorky would learn a fast lesson against the wall.
Just sayin'

As for the "looking the dog in the eye" BS.That's for y'all that don't want confrontation with the dog. I look them DIRECTLY in the eye so they understand MY position in our newly found relationship.
I will be in charge from here on out,thank you.You will be the bubbleguming DOG and nothing more...understand?

Anyway this is in the legal section.And he is in King Co and Federal Way.So a little decorum is in order.
For sagaba

Be aggressive with your dealings with the dog ,let him know HE is in danger not you.
The water hose will work for most dogs other than that dangerous Springer and any mean Labs
(BTW if you have a Springer that bites,maybe you need to just forget dog ownership all together? Yes I do know of what I speak)
Maybe rig up one of those nooses that the animal control uses and take the darn thing down to them.

You will probably get in a bunch of trouble with deadly force on this poor defenseless PB if you attack him.They have already shown they don't want you to shoot the thing,frisking you in you own yard.

First,carracer,thank you.It took all these posts for someone to question getting frisked in his own yard
Yes there is weapons,this is AMERICA and I have the right o have weapons to defend myself on my own property!!!

As for the "looking the dog in the eye" BS.That's for y'all that don't want confrontation with the dog. I look them DIRECTLY in the eye so they understand MY position in our newly found relationship.
I will be in charge from here on out,thank you.You will be the bubbleguming DOG and nothing more...understand?

Anyway this is in the legal section.And he is in King Co and Federal Way.So a little decorum is in order.
For sagaba

Be aggressive with your dealings with the dog ,let him know HE is in danger not you.
The water hose will work for most dogs other than that dangerous Springer and any mean Labs
(BTW if you have a Springer that bites,maybe you need to just forget dog ownership all together? Yes I do know of what I speak)
Maybe rig up one of those nooses that the animal control uses and take the darn thing down to them.

You will probably get in a bunch of trouble with deadly force on this poor defenseless PB if you attack him.They have already shown they don't want you to shoot the thing,frisking you in you own yard.

heheheh one pit who got mad at me for shoowing him away from beggin for food on the couch i jump on him growled and bit his ear and pined him down,
let him up he went running for his crate and never growled at me again :D

My question is how is this dog dangerous? Did he kill your dog or what? If you are saying he is dangerous because he is a pitbull then consider all dogs dangerous. But I understand your point of view. I have a pitbull, one time he got out and my neighbors thought they were going to die. That dog probably doesn't know better than to walk around. I suggest you put your weapon away since it will get you in more trouble than anything else. Pitbulls are friendly dogs and good around people. The people who raise them to fight are the ones who worthless and deserve to be shot.

Bear spray, the kind with the pistol grip.

"water" the perimeter of your lawn. Put it in a jar and draw a line of ownership.

Show the dog that you're the Alpha; growl, puff yourself up, show teeth, slowly advance towards it...with the bear spray in hand. YOU are the master of that territory, show the animal that you'll defend it.

For those following the thread;

If you do get latched on by one of these iron jawed breeds you can get away by just grabbing the skin on either side of the head, at the back and slightly below the lower jaw and it will cause them to unlatch. I was attacked by a pair of Rottweilers once. Made it my damned job to learn how to not have it happen a second time.

heheheh one pit who got mad at me for shoowing him away from beggin for food on the couch i jump on him growled and bit his ear and pined him down,
let him up he went running for his crate and never growled at me again :D

One of the first lessons my rot learned.

And darkminstrel,if I have let a dog latch on to me,the dog is gunna die.No pulling on the skin,nothing.If he will bite a guy my size he will kill a child.
Dogs that "latch on to" humans * that aren't used as guard dogs* need put down.
If your dog bites you? You should fork out the money to have Caesar come teach YOU how to handle a dog.

Man i can totally relate to you my backyard pot growing neighbors Vicious pit bull broke through the fence and chased my Wife and daughters into the house. she called the pound with no reply. I went out back packing to reinforce the fence (something the neighbors said they would do the last time he attached the fence ) hoping that bastard dog would try it with me.

He wears a "blood" red collar for a reason. Was trying to avoid racially insensitive sterotypes but you get the idea now I hope.

He's shown signs of male dog dominance which leads to agression. Focused eye contact and peeing are huge red flags in "dog speak". I have my clear and rational reasoning stated.

I said in my original post that talking to him/them about it is out of the question. I have good reason to steer clear.

I know "springer rage" first hand. My mix had it and that's why we were forced to put him down at age 3. He bit a family members wrist open when they tried to pull him from under a chair. Springers get short outburts of rage. A snap or a bite. They don't generally kill. I am glad you are happy with your pit and wish you luck. As far as other breeds being just as dangerous as pit owners like to claim...when is the last time you saw two labs or even two shepards locked onto each others throats in a death embrace? I saw that first hand a few summers ago. By time police arrived both were bleed out and dead on the sidewalk. It was a very silent affair, all I heard was gurgling. No barking, no moving. Just locked on each other. One was a homeless guys dog and one escaped a backyard to fight. The dried puddles of blood stayed all summer until the rains came and washed them away. I think that gives me a pretty real world feeling as to what an un-neutered male pit can do to a human. But I wasn't here to discuss dog breeds...

Awhile back I read in the news about a man in cali came home to his pregnant wife ripped open with a dog chewing on her dead body. It wasn't a poodle.

Pit Bull Kills Pregnant Pacifica Woman | NBC Bay Area

There was another case in San Fran where those 2 dogs and forgive me I can't remember what they were but they were big. They killed her in her apartment hallway and were charged with manslaughter............

Here is some interesting news in this link. Most people just see a pit and think OMG it's going to kill me. I have friends that have many pits and they play with cats and any other dog. Since you can't talk to your neighbors I take it they are crack heads or something. I could be wrong.

Read this link though. http://dogbitelaw.com/images/pdf/breeds-causing-DBRFs.pdf

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads