JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
-EDIT-
Going to buy a 10 rounder and cap it off to 5 rounds. Thanks guys!

Trying to find a 5 round 5.56 mag for a 5.56 AK is basically impossible.
So, how do I go about pinning a 30 round to 5 rounds for hunting?
Is that even legal at all?
Thanks

Last Edited:
The REAL question is......

How can the Govt. limit my mag to 5 rounds legally?

Rrrrrrright........reading is fundamental.
".....shall not be infringed."

Aloha, Mark

I would think of you can't fit a 6th round in the mag you're gtg so I'd just stuff some blocks under the floor plate and call it a day. Mossberg sells shotguns with a round limiting plug you can just remove any time you want but it's there for hunting regs

I would think of you can't fit a 6th round in the mag you're gtg so I'd just stuff some blocks under the floor plate and call it a day. Mossberg sells shotguns with a round limiting plug you can just remove any time you want but it's there for hunting regs
I am not sure though if it needs to be a permanent modification for it to be legal.

Thanks
I think you would have a lot better luck blocking a 10rnd mag to 5rnds. There are commercial products available to do that, but the concept is easy enough to discern and DIY a block. For hunting purposes.... no.... the block does not have to be permanent. Simply unable to accept more rounds, as configured, while hunting.

For hunting purposes.... no.... the block does not have to be permanent. Simply unable to accept more rounds, as configured, while hunting.
Maybe he'll like the way you said it better. That was my suggestion, though he didn't seem to care for it

Thanks
I recommend buying a 5 round mag or pinning a 10. I'd imagine it would be pretty annoying walking around with a 30 round mag while you're trying to hunt.

If I'm not mistaken. Most 5 round mags (IE., promag) are simply 10 round mags blocked by the mfg. 10rnd mags barely extend beyond the magwell and can't imagine how you could really load and unload a 5rnder. Maybe if the mags baseplate had some type of extended protrusion to allow a guy to grip the mag(?)

I'm kind of with @thebigbaby. Lugging around a 30rnd mag blocked to 5 seems like it would be pretty annoying... not to mention... likely draw unwanted attention.

If you wanted to get real fancy and closer to a semi-permanent mod... a person could drill a small hole through the mag wall and shtick a rivet in. I just wonder if doing that might create an external protrusion that might interfere with smooth mag insertion/ejection(?)

My solution while may not be what you want is to buy a less red dawn hunting rifle. No matter what you do internally to the magazine it will still look like a 30 rounder and could cause more attention than you'd want.

Magazine blocks that are reversible are legal for hunting in Oregon. Examples include, dowel in shot gun mag tube, 5 round clip in a M1, Magpul 5 round block in a 10 round mag.

You will need to get creative for retrofitting a 30 round mag. It may be easier to use it without a mag as a single shot. A more effective option is getting a bolt action hunting rifle in a better game cartridge.

Before blocks were commercially available for the AR platform, rivets through the mag body to limit the follower travel seemed to be the norm. I imagine one could do something similar for the AK platform. Just need to find a place the rivets clear the mag well.

Did you search google? I searched 5 round (AK) AR15 magazine and found Promag makes a 5 round mag that sells at a lot of sites for around 10.00

Last Edited:
Re-read my post.
I did. Basically impossible to find 5 round mag so you want to pin one. Maybe call a game warden to ask what they consider legal. Pinning or blocking the follower would probably be fine, legally, but personally I wouldn't be out with a full size mag when its not needed.

Magazine blocks that are reversible are legal for hunting in Oregon. Examples include, dowel in shot gun mag tube, 5 round clip in a M1, Magpul 5 round block in a 10 round mag.

You will need to get creative for retrofitting a 30 round mag. It may be easier to use it without a mag as a single shot. A more effective option is getting a bolt action hunting rifle in a better game cartridge.
thanks!
I was worried it had to be permanent just like if we had a mag cap law.
I'm going to buy a 10 rounder and cap it off myself.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top