JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Honestly, ive been attacked by dogs numerous times and have the scars to prove it. Our less then perfect neighbors owned a chow that would attack everytime youd walk by the house. We'd just make sure everytime it came near to stop it by bashing it with rocks to baseball bats to my own fist. However we made clear to the owner if it gotten any worse we were going to shoot the dog. In MY OWN personal opinion, what i would do is layer up, throw on your carhart jacket couple sweatshirts maybe wrap your arm in cardboard, have a small caliber handgun in your pocket, allow the dog to attack you if it wished to do so(if not then you have no problem) then simply pull it out and put it down. You'll have marks to prove it attacked but no real damage and problem is solved.

Rather than killing and end up in court and you will be there I would get a taser. Cheap and non leathal and it will stop him and its better than being cuffed and stuffed by a over zelous cop......................

Thats what I would do...

I have found that Fox OC riot spray works well on dogs. If you can't get access to the head (e.g. dogfight), you can spray it under the tail. That stops the aggression right away.

Honestly, ive been attacked by dogs numerous times and have the scars to prove it. Our less then perfect neighbors owned a chow that would attack everytime youd walk by the house. We'd just make sure everytime it came near to stop it by bashing it with rocks to baseball bats to my own fist. However we made clear to the owner if it gotten any worse we were going to shoot the dog. In MY OWN personal opinion, what i would do is layer up, throw on your carhart jacket couple sweatshirts maybe wrap your arm in cardboard, have a small caliber handgun in your pocket, allow the dog to attack you if it wished to do so(if not then you have no problem) then simply pull it out and put it down. You'll have marks to prove it attacked but no real damage and problem is solved.

thats the worst idea I have ever heard. that sounds like a good way to get in trouble with the law. You're intentionally luring the dog so you can kill it.

My inlaws had always had dogs. Most were pretty good pups. One was an overly aggressive German Shepard that had all kinds of emotional issues but especially didn't do so well with the neighbors. The folks had a few acres they worked and never would tie any dog up, and would also take in the occasional stray, which this one was. The dogs were a pretty good early warning system, and the Shepard would have been a good watchdog had he stayed on the property.

Anyway, one day the dog just up and died. It sounded like it might have accidentally eaten rat poison, but no one knew. It could be that someone mixed up some D-con rat poison or rat bars with hamburger.

We'll never know, and the dog was quickly forgotten.

My inlaws had always had dogs. Most were pretty good pups. One was an overly aggressive German Shepard that had all kinds of emotional issues but especially didn't do so well with the neighbors. The folks had a few acres they worked and never would tie any dog up, and would also take in the occasional stray, which this one was. The dogs were a pretty good early warning system, and the Shepard would have been a good watchdog had he stayed on the property.

Anyway, one day the dog just up and died. It sounded like it might have accidentally eaten rat poison, but no one knew. It could be that someone mixed up some D-con rat poison or rat bars with hamburger.

We'll never know, and the dog was quickly forgotten.

Somebody filled a couple steaks filled with Decon and threw them over my friends fence and he had pits that were harmless as hampsters and he had 4 kids all under the age of 9 and the dogs played with all the other dogs and kids outside.

They left one day for a couple of hours and came home and two of his dogs were laying on the ground with foam coming out the mouth and never caught the guy. That was a painful thing for the kids to see and myself when he called. I seen a lot of things from the military but animals are a different thing when someone posions them for no reason for other than being a stupid mother bubblegumer who I wish I could put a .45 in his fore head for doing that.

I have a house next door who for lack of a better terms "family" owns a tiger-striped pitbull and let it run loose. It's a male with prominant balls so I assume it is not neutered. There have been several cases where I have been in my frontyard and it has either silently crept up or goes unseen until I notice it rooting around my frontyard or sideyard. Happens about once a month. Once it was even late at night and I didnt see him until I was only about 10-15 feet away in the dark.

Today I was wrenching under my hood in my driveway, sure enough the dog started running around my frontyard and locked eyes with me while standing broadside and peeing next to the car I was currently working on. The dog then left my property so I retrieved a handgun and put it in my toolbox as a precaution. I finished working on the car and called 911 as I have tried about 5-6 times to have animal control do something about them letting it roam my neighborhood at all hours. I have yet to speak to a live animal control officer. They are hard to get ahold of apperantly.

Long story short, the dispatcher asked about weapons present and I said yes. At that point she got serious and told me officers were on the way. I then put the handgun back in my house and waited. I was approched in my own driveway and told to show my hands & then patted down against my truck. The two responding officers and I talked for about a half hour and did not reach an agreement on what to do. They basically told me until he literally starts biting me I am SOL as far as defending myself or others in my driveway and can be held liable if I kill an "innocent dog". Their answer was to call 911 if/when I get attcked. They didn't like when I told them police take minutes to arrive and large dogs can kill in less time.

I've grown up around and owned weims, german shepards, a golden retriever and a chocolate lab/springer spainiel mix so I love dogs and don't want to shoot one for no reason. I witnessed two pits kill one another a year ago so I know how they kill. They clamp throats and hold on until the victim bleeds out. Not how I want to die...

Dealing directly with the owner of the dog is out of the question. What would you do? I am in city limits.

Why do you define this as a dangerous dog?

You haven't described any aggressive behavior at all.

They left one day for a couple of hours and came home and two of his dogs were laying on the ground with foam coming out the mouth and never caught the guy. That was a painful thing for the kids to see and myself when he called. I seen a lot of things from the military but animals are a different thing when someone posions them for no reason for other than being a stupid mother bubblegumer who I wish I could put a .45 in his fore head for doing that.

:mad: that's messed up.

Misterbill. I agree, most people consider pitbulls a dangerous, vicious dog while they can trained to be, but they are some of the best dogs.

A couple things to consider.

1.) Be careful about the kind of statements you are making regarding the inherit danger with Pit Bulls. Pit owners are, in some ways, very similar to gun owners. We fight some of the same battles. Meaning the "Anti's" pushing that our item of ownership is inherently dangerous and requires greater, restrictions, regulations, and/or banning. I think it's fair to say that a gun in the hands of the right person is a good thing. And a gun in the hands of a bad person is a bad thing. The same can be said for pits. So be careful about pushing the "Pit's are a dangerous dog" agenda. I think you're story could have had the same effect if you had left the "pit" aspect out of it, and just said "My neighbors have a crappy dog" and went on with the same argument. You need not mention the breed, or suggest that because it's a pit, that you have obvious reason to be alarmed.

2.) I think you're gonna be in hot water if this dog turns up dead. Lets say the dog gets killed. You pick the how part of it. You're already on record as having a problem with this dog. You've called animal control a bunch of times, you're called the cops out, you've even admitted to having a gun and have been frisked by the cops. So if one day this dog ends up dead near your property, especially from a gun shot, what are they going to think?

Are you they going to say, "Well... it's obvious this is was a troubled dog. The neighbor rightfully called law enforcement numerous times. There's a record of numerous problems on file. It's obvious that the neighbor, knowing there was a danger next door, took precautions to defend himself in the event of a problem and when said problem occurred, he was prepared to defend himself and did so."

Or are they going to say..

"Hm... so this guy's called animal control over and over again. We even had to send the cops out once to check him cause he was threatening to use his gun. Nothing has ever been substantiated. We've got no other complaints from the other neighbors, just this one guy. Then, after not getting the response he wants, the dog just happens to end up dead."

So.. was it justified self defense? Or was it an ambush and murder of an innocent dog?

I don't know. but either way the question is going to get asked, and investigated. And like they say in boxing, "Any it gets left up to the judges, then who knows what's gonna happen."

My suggestion would be talk to your other neighbors on the street. See if they share your concerns, if so... get them to write a letter, or sign a statement, something to show that everyone is concerned about this dog. Take videos of the dogs behavior. I know some on here have said that what you described doesn't sound like the dog has been aggressive. Maybe he's not aggressive, or maybe you just didn't do a good job describing your side of things. Either way... get the dog on video tape, get the statements from the other neighbors. Then send it to the proper department and explain that you've asked numerous times for help. You might also want to send a copy to someone higher up in public office stating that you've asked or help and are getting none, and here's my video and statements from everyone on my block as well. Or your local news media. No one wants to be on the liability end of a situation where an entire neighborhood has asked for help in advance.. in writing, and on video, and then have something happen and no response was taken.

Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Or.. what would happen if the dog just wasn't there one day. What if he never returned? The owner lets him wander loose. Did he run away? Did he get hit by a car somewhere? Did someone pick him up? Was he stolen? Who knows. Lucky you though... now you don't have to worry about it anymore.

1) +1 on the wasp spray. A friend from work had a problem with his neighbor's dog threatening him in his own yard. He sprayed the dog in the face, which put the dog on th trailer. Then he squirted the dog's sack and called the Chimo felon (on parole) owner and told him to remove the scroot forthwith. Conclusion: Wasp spray works pretty well. And it's quiet.

2) Wrist rocket with .44 cal lead pistol balls. Quiet and makes an impression. From experience.

3) Suggestion, no experience - pitchfork. Pick handle?

4) Poison is chicken s**t. Like a terrorist's bomb it is indiscriminate and cruel.

I haven't read a single thing which makes me think that dog is dangerous. I'd get some dog treats and make friends with him. Every dog is different and he may actually be friendly but shy. Being a pit, he may have been run off and even had things thrown at him. How does he know what you're going to do? That could be why he watches you.

Some of the sweetest dogs out there are pits. One of the most dangerous dogs I've known was a Golden Retriever and they are normally harmless and sweet. Agreed, some dogs are born with a screw loose, but some are taught to be mean. Too often pit owners are macho types who teach the dogs to be mean.

Left to a normal life, a pit is a great dog.

I had a simular problem, I kept my pellet gun handy and when the dog appeared I would stalk him and shoot him in the butt. He would take off like a rocket. Took about three times before he connected seeing me with a pain in his butt, he stays away now. Plus it was fun hunting him.

I solved a problem with raccoons. The solution was a wristrocket and frozen grapes. Good for when you're applying a "associative geographic pain memory disincentive" program and chasing 'em past the property line. No one takes notice of a grape on the ground other than a "how'd that get there" kind of way.

Many people have pit bulls because they like to intimidate others. We all know that is why they exist. Any good and loveable thing about a dogs character can be found in dogs that don't have the capability of ripping your throat out.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads