JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
What did I say that wasn't true, most people who have pit bulls DO like the intimidation factor, that's just a fact. I bet 80% of the pit bull owners like the fact that people around them are afraid of them, and unlike a gun a pit bull can go off by itself and kill, it has happened way too many times to deny it. Usually it is little kids that get killed.
<broken link removed>
Pit Bull Kills Newborn Boy in Fla. - Crimesider - CBS News
<broken link removed>

One story you might not want about your home; "This week, an 11-month-old baby was killed after being attacked by the family pit bull.

Police said the baby was sleeping in a bed on the first floor when the dog came into the room and attacked the baby, dragging him to the floor. The baby's father told them he came into the room and tried to get the dog off the baby. When he was unable to free the baby, he shot the dog.

Read more: Baby Mauled and Killed by Pit Bull | momlogic.com

Here ya go; 4-Year-Old Jayelin Graham From Brooklyn Killed In Dog Attack « CBS New York

You like these vicious beasts? FINE, keep them on a leash, let it be YOUR child that gets ripped apart by the dog.

That last one was a mastiff, but the point is the same, large dogs have the potential of killing people, and the fact that some folks love them doesn't change that fact. I can post many more stories about large dogs that killed or savaged people, if you have a dog it is up to YOU to make sure that doesn't happen. I've been in the emergency room because of dogs, anyone who gets mad at me for stating the facts needs to have a dog maul them, and THEN tell me I'm wrong!

The stories dont matter it is still the owner that most likely made them that way... It is the same thing as the stories that say the gun just went off... Whether a gun, Pit bull, Car, Motorcycle. People are the ones to blame not the item at hand... And I am a pit bull owner I got one because they are the best most loyal dog in the world, They were the WWII poster dog, the same dog that was in little rascals. I didn't get it to be macho or to be more intimidating.

Many people have guns because they like to intimidate others. We all know that is why they exist. Any good and loveable thing about a guns character can be found in guns that don't have the capability of ripping your throat out.

BS, replace the words "dogs" with the words "guns" and you will see your statement is no more coherent than an anti gunners statement.

The stories dont matter it is still the owner that most likely made them that way... It is the same thing as the stories that say the gun just went off... Whether a gun, Pit bull, Car, Motorcycle. People are the ones to blame not the item at hand... And I am a pit bull owner I got one because they are the best most loyal dog in the world, They were the WWII poster dog, the same dog that was in little rascals. I didn't get it to be macho or to be more intimidating.

This is not completely true. The problem is in the breeding.There was 2 Golden Retrievers at the park I used to walk at that had not developed HIPS.The joint just did not develop.
So basically,the problem is,the breeders are in his to make money and not make a better breed.
Now you take a aggressive breed like the Pit bull/AmStaff (look up the linage,they are almost identical) that has been bread to it's sister.You get a breed that IS dangerous and not just the owner.

The whole problem here is we are talking about the breed and not the fact that they frisked the OP for guns ON HIS OWN PROPERTY

We have an AmStaff living with us. The biggest thing he is concerned with is where his toys are, and if you would please please please play with him. He is the most loving, calm, considerate dog we have had. Even though the "breed" is a gladiator, so is Rotti, German Shepard, American Pitt, Dobi, etc.. We also have a cat, who he adores. Like I said many posts ago, dog psychology is pretty simple. It is really how YOU handle yourself that will determine the outcome. Unless it is a trained attack dog, under orders to attack.

First of all, I don't own guns to intimidate, it's called concealed carry. Secondly, dogs, unlike guns, have character traits, some types of dogs are naturally more likely to attack than others. That can be trained out possibly, but how do I know how good you are at it? All I know is that I've been to the emergency room twice because someone else's "good dog" bit me without provocation. A pox on anyone who can't understand that!

One of the reasons I decided to carry guns was because of vicious dogs, and if your dog bites me don't hold it against me if I shoot it. I have never intentionally hurt anyone in my life, that's normal for me. But I'll shoot a dog if it bites me because I don't deserve that, sorry if you love your dog so much that you allow it to endanger my life.

Now, about guns, guns, unlike dogs, do NOT shoot without someone pulling the trigger, if you have a gun that goes off by itself you better get it fixed, right? There is no comparison between gun rights and vicious dog ownership rights! At least try to make logical arguments. If you cannot guarantee that your huge snarling beast won't bite someone who isn't doing anything wrong you are under common sense requirement to keep it on a leash.

I don't understand why any of this is so difficult to understand, get a few stitches from someone's worthless cur and you will understand it, I promise you!

The dog in question no matter the breed is used as a tool of power and intimidation for gang use. It's the one rental house bringing down the block and "grandma" lets flamed up (google it) junior & friends use the back porch as a hangout. Several warrants have been served over the last 2 years, sometimes with loud K9 units @ 2am. Get the picture now? Wouldn't matter if it was a pit, rott, dobbie, german shepard, chow, husky or other mix. I didn't use "pit" as part of the title for that very reason. I don't need to justify feeling threatened while minding my own business (people saying he is not showing signs of danger) and having strange animals within 10-15 feet. I just am.

As far as being patted down on my own property I asked as he did it if it was legal to do so and in laymans terms he said anytime an officer responds to a call involving a gun in any capacity (me admitting I had one to dispatcher) allows them to check when they arrive as it could endanger them. I'm not a lawyer so once he said that I had nothing else to say.

And to the guy about me not owning dogs anymore because of my springer spaniel / choc lab mix...I'm curious as to what you mean. We did all we could and unanimously advised by several vets to put him down as he was a liability once he showed he was capable of serious harm. The wirst was slit bad enough to spurt blood onto our wall and furniture. We spent thousands on his obidience and behavior classes. Springer rage is a true disorder and a sad one. I'm not sure how you think we could have done him any differently. This was about 10 years ago.

First of all, I don't own guns to intimidate, it's called concealed carry. Secondly, dogs, unlike guns, have character traits, some types of dogs are naturally more likely to attack than others. That can be trained out possibly, but how do I know how good you are at it? All I know is that I've been to the emergency room twice because someone else's "good dog" bit me without provocation. A pox on anyone who can't understand that!

One of the reasons I decided to carry guns was because of vicious dogs, and if your dog bites me don't hold it against me if I shoot it. I have never intentionally hurt anyone in my life, that's normal for me. But I'll shoot a dog if it bites me because I don't deserve that, sorry if you love your dog so much that you allow it to endanger my life.

Now, about guns, guns, unlike dogs, do NOT shoot without someone pulling the trigger, if you have a gun that goes off by itself you better get it fixed, right? There is no comparison between gun rights and vicious dog ownership rights! At least try to make logical arguments. If you cannot guarantee that your huge snarling beast won't bite someone who isn't doing anything wrong you are under common sense requirement to keep it on a leash.

I don't understand why any of this is so difficult to understand, get a few stitches from someone's worthless cur and you will understand it, I promise you!

I've had Pit bulls and Staffordshire Terriers all my life, our first was when I was 5yo and that is why I reject your argument as 100% nonsense! I stick by my original statement, your argument is as invalid as any anti gunners argument. You could put a steak in your teeth bend down and feed it to my dog and she would take it from you gently. My dogs have never bit anyone and they are 100% trust worthy around any children.

Sorry that you are scared of big dogs, I'm not, even unknown vicious dogs can be handled by most any stranger if you show the dog that you are the alpha male right from the get go.

I don't like little yapper dogs and I have zero use for one. In fact the only dogs that have made the mistake of snapping at me are always little yappers, at which point they get the soccer chip shot. How can you have respect for an animal that you can carry around like a fashion accessory.

paris4.0.jpg

In all seriousness I think the people that advocate making friends with the dog first are on to something.The dog had no choice in being adopted by scumbags but he might really enjoy have a friendly neighbor. My guess is some treats would have him coming over with his tail wagging every time he sees you.

With just a little research, you can learn to read a dog's body language, which is mostly how they communicate. I've posted before that I shot and killed a Rotty who was menacing my wife while we were on a walk, so I'm not blind to what could happen. That Rotty was circling too close, short tail erect, ears forward, lips slighty curled, feet and legs wide, hair standing up on back, staring (not always a bad sign) trying to get behind us, etc. etc. He was just too darned close and I dropped him. We live in the county and we have a leash law and I was within my rights.

Now, if a dog is walking around at some distance and staring at me, it means nothing unless the other factors above are in play. Is his tail limp? Are his ears limp? is his gait nonchalant? Does he seem more curious than anything? If so, he's trying to find out if you're safe. This is the dog to make friends with. Try calling him in a friendly way. I'll bet he runs away which is a very good sign. Next time, you need those treats.

I was faced with the same situation with the neighbor's Rottweiler that runs loose.
I purchased a large size can of "Guard Alaska" Bear Spray.
The next time the dog was on my land, I sprayed him thoroughly, called the Sheriff's Dept (animal control unit) and told them what I just did and why, and that was the end of my dog problem.
Though I live in the rurals, and by law could have shot the dog dead, (I have livestock) I chose this less confrontational option.
Through the grapevine I also heard that when the dog ran home in pain, the owner had knelt down to feel over the dog to try and determine the cause for their dogs pain and discomfort, thereby exposing himself to what was ailing his dog. :s0112:
This made it a win/win for me, and a lose/lose for the neighbor and his Rottweiler.

Good job! I'm surprised the dog could run after being hit by the OC spray. Was it a direct, sustained application to the face?

Most Rottys are really nice too. A lot of people wouldn't have anything else, even around kids. Again, it comes down to the particular dog. As said, some of the dogs most likely to bite are small dogs.

The older I get the more I like dogs and other animals. They are what they are unlike most people who are deluded, ignorant, hateful drones. I'd have to be is serious danger to shot a dog. I respect that someone's pet might be the center of their life, and yes, that includes a little celebrity rat dog. The last thing I'd want to do is kill someone's little family member and find out that it was some little girl's best friend and that she is scarred for life because I made a stupid, careless decision.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads