Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Dangerous dog on my property

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Sagaba, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Sagaba

Sagaba Federal Way, WA Active Member

I have a house next door who for lack of a better terms "family" owns a tiger-striped pitbull and let it run loose. It's a male with prominant balls so I assume it is not neutered. There have been several cases where I have been in my frontyard and it has either silently crept up or goes unseen until I notice it rooting around my frontyard or sideyard. Happens about once a month. Once it was even late at night and I didnt see him until I was only about 10-15 feet away in the dark.

Today I was wrenching under my hood in my driveway, sure enough the dog started running around my frontyard and locked eyes with me while standing broadside and peeing next to the car I was currently working on. The dog then left my property so I retrieved a handgun and put it in my toolbox as a precaution. I finished working on the car and called 911 as I have tried about 5-6 times to have animal control do something about them letting it roam my neighborhood at all hours. I have yet to speak to a live animal control officer. They are hard to get ahold of apperantly.

Long story short, the dispatcher asked about weapons present and I said yes. At that point she got serious and told me officers were on the way. I then put the handgun back in my house and waited. I was approched in my own driveway and told to show my hands & then patted down against my truck. The two responding officers and I talked for about a half hour and did not reach an agreement on what to do. They basically told me until he literally starts biting me I am SOL as far as defending myself or others in my driveway and can be held liable if I kill an "innocent dog". Their answer was to call 911 if/when I get attcked. They didn't like when I told them police take minutes to arrive and large dogs can kill in less time.

I've grown up around and owned weims, german shepards, a golden retriever and a chocolate lab/springer spainiel mix so I love dogs and don't want to shoot one for no reason. I witnessed two pits kill one another a year ago so I know how they kill. They clamp throats and hold on until the victim bleeds out. Not how I want to die...

Dealing directly with the owner of the dog is out of the question. What would you do? I am in city limits.

2. wyattburp

wyattburp Beaverton Member

Did you call Animal Control? I've called them on roaming dogs and they've come by and taken the dog to the pound. Letting their dog roam like that just means they don't give a crap about actually owning and caring for an animal... That's sad.

3. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

Thats a tough situation. I have a similar one down in thurston County. Not as often of an encounter, but once in a while a few dogs escape from a neighbors yard and menace our small dead end street. They havent physically attacked, but have acted in a threatening manner. Ive called our local Animal control and have had the officer here a few times. First thing I would do is to start documenting the events with a statement and photos if possible. Take these yourself to the animal control. If something does eventually happen like an attack, or your forced to defend yourself, you will have clear proof this was an ongoing problem. Thurston Co has complaint forms on their website. Your county might have the same.

My last encounter I was fully within right to put one of the dogs down, but since my kids were not home and I did have a reasonable retreat to my house, I instead grabbed a camera and video taped the incident. When the office came to get my statement, of course the S@#T bag neighbors denied their dogs were loose, untill seeing my video. then is was all backtracks and sorrys. I said flat out the only reason your dog was alive was because my kids were not in the yard, and the officer backed me up saying that I was well within rights to have put the aggressive one down.

You could try some deterant like Pepper spray, maybe one of those kimber goo shooters? Might make the dog thing twice.

4. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

Pepper spray would be my suggestion as well, but only if you also have a gun with you. You never know how an animal will react. Some of them would run, but some of them might get even more aggressive.

5. Sagaba

I called my cities animal control (not under king county anymore) and left message about an hour ago. I've made numerous calls over the last 6 months or so and never been able to get anybody out here in the "field" to handle it. I'll get to the bottom of who I need to talk to.

The officers also suggested using my breaker bar or other hand-tool if it attacks. I'd prefer not to anger a large pit who's already showing signs of male agression and dominance (eyes, peeing, kicking up grass, roaming free). I don't think a smack in the head will stop a raging beast.

And yes a video camera to document has been discussed and approved. Great idea.

6. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Keep something like a crowbar or tire iron nearby. Through experience, I know for a fact that one hard blow to the head with a short crowbar will turn a large, aggressive pit off. Permanently.

Then again, I'm not afraid of dogs or dog bites.

Of course, there are always more covert methods that can be employed...

Caleqs, moose, mjbskwim and 3 others like this.
  7. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

Screw drivers should work well also,ball/peen hammer,framing hammer,shovel,machete just happened to be sitting there,hunting knife you keep in the tool box (doesn't everyone have K Bar in the top of the box?)
    Have a big towel lying there to wrap your arm ,take the bite and go to work

And yes I have thought about this many times before.

8. Sagaba

I actually have my kabar in my truck from a project the other day but thats getting desperate. I'd like a solution about the dog himself but I don't think anybody can solve that one except the owners and that's when pigs fly. Frustrating how these things work, ehh?

9. Redcap

Sometimes you have to create your own solution.

pcoast, mjbskwim, Caleqs and 3 others like this.
  10. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

Pit bulls are only dangerous if the owner raises them that way.... That dog Has showed no sign of aggression towards you and you think that he is a deadly dog for no reason. Why don't you talk to the dog owner and feel him out and maybe you can tell them your concerns. I love pit bulls they are my favorite dog. I as a pit bull owner will do everything I can to make sure my dog is fenced up, not because I am scared of what my dog will do but because of how everyone else perceives them. The springer spaniels you have had are far more likely to attack and bite then a pit bull any day.

11. Garg

Garg east of portland metro Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Dog psychology is actually pretty simple. You (and others who live in your space) must "claim" your space. Calm Assertive actions (not fear) will go much further protecting you than aggressive fearful actions. They can smell fear a mile away. I am not saying it will work in your situation, but just generally as a rule. One thing I learned over the years, and is also a mantra used by Ceaser Milan (the dog whisperer) is no look, no touch, no eye contact. YMMV. Good luck, and pursue the local animal cops. There has to be a leash law if you in the city limits. Pepper spray is also a good idea.

12. Redcap

Pits can be great dogs. My Mutt is half pit. Unfortunately, the breed seems to often attract a certain genre of owner too...s**tbags.

13. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

That is very true...

14. Sagaba

He wears a "blood" red collar for a reason. Was trying to avoid racially insensitive sterotypes but you get the idea now I hope.

He's shown signs of male dog dominance which leads to agression. Focused eye contact and peeing are huge red flags in "dog speak". I have my clear and rational reasoning stated.

I said in my original post that talking to him/them about it is out of the question. I have good reason to steer clear.

I know "springer rage" first hand. My mix had it and that's why we were forced to put him down at age 3. He bit a family members wrist open when they tried to pull him from under a chair. Springers get short outburts of rage. A snap or a bite. They don't generally kill. I am glad you are happy with your pit and wish you luck. As far as other breeds being just as dangerous as pit owners like to claim...when is the last time you saw two labs or even two shepards locked onto each others throats in a death embrace? I saw that first hand a few summers ago. By time police arrived both were bleed out and dead on the sidewalk. It was a very silent affair, all I heard was gurgling. No barking, no moving. Just locked on each other. One was a homeless guys dog and one escaped a backyard to fight. The dried puddles of blood stayed all summer until the rains came and washed them away. I think that gives me a pretty real world feeling as to what an un-neutered male pit can do to a human. But I wasn't here to discuss dog breeds...

Awhile back I read in the news about a man in cali came home to his pregnant wife ripped open with a dog chewing on her dead body. It wasn't a poodle.

Pit Bull Kills Pregnant Pacifica Woman | NBC Bay Area

15. Sagaba

That has a large part to do with this case I believe.

16. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

They certainly do. I'm pretty sure pits are their favorite breed or at least the most visible.

PaulZ and (deleted member) like this.
  17. PBinWA

PBinWA Clark County Well-Known Member

I guess you might get in trouble if you "painted" the dog pink with a paintball gun. (Hey this is a "gun" forum). ;)

18. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

19. RedneckRampage

RedneckRampage Newberg Well-Known Member

My Male, Unneautered Lab, looks right at me when he pees, kicks up grass, and runs free on the property, he wouldn't hurt a fly. My ex girlfriend had two pitbulls, the neighbors German Sheapards came onto the property and attacked them. Dogs roam by nature, unless they are lazy. Does the dog bark at you? Does it growl? Those, to me, would be signs of aggression. Dealing with neighborhood dogs is part of living in the city, and I wouldn't be affraid of the "beast" I it's sniffing around your yard. It seems like he wants nothing to do with you. Being a grown man, yourself, I assume you weigh atleast twice as much as any Pitbull, defend yourself if it attacks you. A friend of mines brother was walking in a bad area of town one night, he had just gotten back from his third tour in Iraq. A man told him to give him his wallet and backpack, when he said no, the guy "sicked" his pitbull on my friends brother. He gave it a good kick to the head, grabbed it's head and broke it's neck. It was a HUGE fighting pitbull. This dog dosent seem like it's out to hurt you....

20. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

Absolutely endless.

Next time the dog shows up, be his friend. Take a handful of doggie treats and toss them out in the street. Bonus points for doing this during times of high traffic volumns / limited visibility.

iusmc2002, gnarl, PaulZ and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.