JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Should we have a thread on... "Who here carries in their local CostCo?"

I always buy a rotisserie chicken, a bunch of cheese (I love the Coastal Cheddar), wine, tequila and toilet tissue...
I don't just carry, I basically open carry. Ok, it is still legally concealed, by the strictest definition of the law, but the only cover is a open buttondown. If I reach into my pocket the gun is visible from at least the front. Noe one even notices.

Also I wish our local Costco had liquor. Oregon is a weird state when it comes to "concentrated alcohol." Costco usually carries decent stuff when they are allowed to.

That's a lot of spending to get $1400 back.

The executive card's 2% back means that's $70,000 in purchases being bought at Costco.
If they sold guns, it might be worthwhile. At the rate I spend money on groceries and self care products, it would take me a decade or more to spend 70k. Lucky for me Grocery Outlet doesn't charge a membership to shop there:)

If they sold guns, it might be worthwhile. At the rate I spend money on groceries and self care products, it would take me a decade or more to spend 70k. Lucky for me Grocery Outlet doesn't charge a membership to shop there:)
Yeah, I mean, spend whatever he wants. His money, I just am curious what is being regularly bought at Costco to spend 70K there in a year. Ingredients for a product made by a business would make sense.

We use the CITI card. 4% on gas and we use it for most everyday living. As long as you pay it off every month there's no interest.
Ah, gotcha.

That card gets you 4% on gas for $7000, so $280 back, then 1% after that.

2% back at at Costco, so combine that with the executive membership you're basically getting 4% back on costco purchases.

$1120 / .04 means $28,000 in the best case scenario. More if that $1120 is being accrued at the 1% rate for everything else or 3% rate for restaurants.

I'm sure there are some little things I am not accounting for, but it's going to be close.

$35,000 in combined gas and costco purchases.

I'm a credit card guy too. Costco citi card, Cii double cash card. US Bank Cash Plus card.

I try to stretch my dollars a bunch, and you're right. Carrying balances is "poor people money management."

Yeah, I mean, spend whatever he wants. His money, I just am curious what is being regularly bought at Costco to spend 70K there in a year. Ingredients for a product made by a business would make sense.
My guess (putting it in now before we get an answer) is business expenses. I know lots of business owners who use Costco for bulk business supplies, everything from food truck people to small office type places. It can be a good solution if you cannot pull together enough order to justify going with a larger business supply distributor (who often have high minimum order requirements). Plus I believe the check at the end of the year can go straight into personal income, so it is like a little bonus for the boss (often the only one they get).

It doesn't take long to get to those kind of cash back numbers when you consider:

4% for gasoline
3% for restaurants
2% for Costco purchases
1% for all other purchases

Filter all living expenses through the card and viola, you're getting $100+/month kickback.

It doesn't take long to get to those kind of cash back numbers when you consider:

4% for gasoline
3% for restaurants
2% for Costco purchases

Filter all living expenses through the card and viola, you're getting $100+/month kickback.
Yep, did the math in an earlier post. It's spending about 35K in the best case scenario.

4% on gas only applies on 7K in purchases, after that, 1%.

4% for gasoline
3% for restaurants
2% for Costco purchases

Interesting. I am going to keep track of my grocery, eating out, personal care items and fuel for February and see what kind of money I am really spending. What's the break even amount you would have to spend on average each month?

4% for gasoline
3% for restaurants
2% for Costco purchases

And the business are the ones paying you, because it comes out of the "take" the credit card company is taking. It's a small reason for higher prices.
And it is the biggest reason that my shop takes checks and cash, but no cards.

Spending money to save money.

Costco executives and CC executives work in nicer offices than you and live in nicer homes than you.
Much nicer.

Haven't been a member at Costco in over a decade. Each time I've gone as a guest, there's nothing there that compels me to want to rejoin.
The German chicken they used to serve in Frankenmuth, Michigan was always worth a stop on the way north.
Haxe in Munich is my favorite gustatory memory of Germany.
Chicken dinner in Frankenmuth! Loved it when I was in Motown.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top